PDA

View Full Version : Flames & Text

mixmasterwes
07-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Folks,

Could you please shed some light in how to super impose/overlay video within text? I have some Digital Juice videos of fire/flames I like to use. I can make it work with Still JPEGS within the text but I can’t seem to make it work with video. Any Ideas??

Thanks in advance….
:newtek:

animlab
07-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Use text with inverted alpha:

Create simple text brush with any graphics program.
Create a black background, cut a text hole with the brush just created.
That will result a black paper with text cut in the center. Save it as 32 bits alpha image.
Use the alpha image to overlay your fire/flame and you get your fire/flame in the text.

animlab
07-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Here is another one.
Just put your text (in white) into a black background and save it as a normal image file(24 bits with alpha).
Put it under the fire/flame clip and turn on overlay.
Use Luma key to cut the black. check your Key Tolerance value (say 35), and make it negative (i.e. -35).
That's it.

SBowie
07-25-2007, 06:21 AM
I had a similar notion, but if you don't need the flaming text to appear above other video, it can all be done right on the timeline:

mixmasterwes
07-25-2007, 12:56 PM
:) Thank you for all your help, that is exactly what I was looking for…. I will give it a try….

Regards,

Wes…

Bobt
07-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Can you put video behind it doing that?
Example

Video People
VideoFlame
Title

Ends up a People/Title with flames showing through?

SBowie
07-27-2007, 06:14 AM
Not in realtime, no. You could use a key-able background instead of the black I did (green would be good in this case), then perform an interim render of the flaming text, finally chromakeying the result over your "Video People" clip.

For me, I'd rather just make nice clean flaming text (with an alpha channel) in Aura or Mirage, then use that ...

Rich Deustachio
07-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Sounds like another feature request we can add to SE. The ability to map video onto text in the CG.

ScorpioProd
07-27-2007, 03:16 PM
In case you have other tools in your toolbox, this is very easy to do in Vegas 7.

Tony R
07-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Personally, I'm not crazy about the way the fire looks inside the text. It would look a lot better if the text was on fire so that it 's flames go beyond the text borders. Is that do-able or is that achieved in a different program altogether?

Rich Deustachio
07-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Bluff Titler does flames on the the text, Mirage might do it as well.

SBowie
07-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Personally, I'm not crazy about the way the fire looks inside the text. It would look a lot better if the text was on fire so that it 's flames go beyond the text borders. Is that do-able or is that achieved in a different program altogether?I'd sooner do it in a compositor (Additive mode would do a nicer job), but it can be done.

CreatvGnius
07-31-2007, 12:47 PM
I'd sooner do it in a compositor (Additive mode would do a nicer job), but it can be done.

For the record, Steve, why is it that Aura and Mirage both may not be considered, in the fullest sense of the word, "compositor" apps?

I oftimes hear folks longing for NewTek to come out with a "compositor" app. What's currently missing (say, from Aura and from Mirage), although one can certainly *do* some compositing therein?

Oooh. Wait! Lemme' guess: the fact that you cannot manipulate individual tracks, giving each a "compositor" processing tool -- much like one can find within Sony Vegas -- is *that* it? :twak:
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
In case you have other tools in your toolbox, this is very easy to do in Vegas 7.

Personally, Eugene, I'm amazed with Vegas' compositing power. However, I must admit that at times, I get myself confused a bit -- relative to just what I'm supposed to do, on a given track, relative to the compositor type I ought to select, for what I want to accomplish --

And although Vegas' built-in Online Help function does a fair job at giving visual cues about what each of those settings do, for some reason I still get a bit fogged up in the "build" process.

Any *particular* read, or video tute, that you find does an awesome job of explaining Vegas' compositing routines, with better clarity, than does that static "Online Help" system? :twak:

TIA.

SBowie
07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
For the record, Steve, why is it that Aura and Mirage both may not be considered, in the fullest sense of the word, "compositor" apps?I have to rely on my own 'developed-in-house-over-time' definitions to answer that, Peter - but if you'll bear with me:

Mirage and Aura alike are primarily paint and animation programs, with a greater or lesser dash of image processing effects and compositing abilities thrown in for practical reasons. Internally, however, they operate in quite different fashion than a dedicated compositing tool (such as AE, Fusion, Shake, etc.)

Aura and Mirage, as dictated by their paint and animation raison d'etre, incline to being 'render/apply as you go,' rather than 'show me a preview of what these settings will produce if I render' - the latter being the general workflow of most compositing apps.

You can often create the same result in either environment, but in a different manner - and a compositing app is generally more 'forgiving' in nature. You can simply pull up the project, tweak a few settings, and re-render. Not so with Aura or Mirage, least not with anything like the ease.

Both approaches contrast with SE and VT-EDIT in several ways, as well - notably in the absence of common compositing transfer modes ('Merge' modes in Aura/Mirage parlance) from SE/VT.

ScorpioProd
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Personally, Eugene, I'm amazed with Vegas' compositing power. However, I must admit that at times, I get myself confused a bit -- relative to just what I'm supposed to do, on a given track, relative to the compositor type I ought to select, for what I want to accomplish --

And although Vegas' built-in Online Help function does a fair job at giving visual cues about what each of those settings do, for some reason I still get a bit fogged up in the "build" process.

Any *particular* read, or video tute, that you find does an awesome job of explaining Vegas' compositing routines, with better clarity, than does that static "Online Help" system? :twak:

TIA.

Yeah, it can be confusing at times.

I'm only learning myself, and I don't really have any recommendations for compositing stuff. I learned most Vegas 7 compositing stuff from on-line tutorials that were on the Digital Media Producer website.