PDA

View Full Version : Too much 3D...

IMI
07-24-2007, 05:16 PM
You know when you see a cheap wood table in real life, and it's obvious that it was made out of two or more drastically different cuts of wood?
Well, I saw one today, and right down the middle of the tabletop, there was a glaringly obvious seam between the grain in the wood. It was the same kind of wood, obviously, but the grain was not only not the same size, but going in different directions.
I thought, man, I wonder who mapped that!
:D

Bytehawk
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
hmmm i get that insanely often.

Funky Monkey
07-24-2007, 06:17 PM
LOL! Me too!

brian.coates
07-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Sorta like how I make a mistake with something in the real world, like dropping a plate, and the first thought that pops into my head is:

"Undo, UNDO!!!"

UnCommonGrafx
07-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I love when these threads pop up.

Last night, I saw Tammy Faye on tv and thought to myself, "Who put skin on that skeleton? That's so Zbrush-ish... Oh my god, that's a person...! (gasp)"
hehe

And then, there's drawing lines on peoples faces for a clean mesh; staring at peoples ears and then asking to take a pic cuz they have such interesting ears; and my favorite: carrying a camera around when I want to model a head and stopping women and asking for a head shot. hehe, When I ask for my 'dull' front and profile shots, they REALLY think I've popped a cork.

Thank goodness I'm editing nowadays... Gotta stop trying to hit the rewind button when I want to see life's funny ways again...

colkai
07-25-2007, 03:01 AM
Aww heck, don't get me started.
The amount of times I bite my tongue when I see things then have to remind myself it IS the real world I'm looking at.

Where we walk the dog, there is a tree which, I know full well, should I attempt to model, would be told is totally unrealistic and impossible in real life.

Of course, you try telling that to mother nature! ;) :D

iconoclasty
07-25-2007, 07:43 AM
My fingers are constantly twitching for the ctrl-Z buttons in real life situations. And I'm always disappointed it doesn't work.

Stupid reality.

BeeVee
07-25-2007, 07:53 AM
And when I go for a wee I look at the sparkles dancing around the bowl and say to myself... "aaaahh caustics"

B
PS. Did I type that out loud? :eek:

Iain
07-25-2007, 08:07 AM
And when I go for a wee I look at the sparkles dancing around the bowl and say to myself... "aaaahh caustics"

B
PS. Did I type that out loud? :eek:

Ahh but the one thing you can't simulate in 3d (yet) is the 'sugar puffs' or 'asparagus' effect.

BeeVee
07-25-2007, 08:11 AM
:lol:

B

Chris S. (Fez)
07-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Since the advent of 3D, flesh-and-blood boobies seem universally smaller and saggier.

Truly a mysterious phenomenon :rolleyes:

Captain Obvious
07-25-2007, 08:18 AM
I've stopped seeing wireframes when I look at real-world objects. Making progress!

colkai
07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Ahh but the one thing you can't simulate in 3d (yet) is the 'sugar puffs' or 'asparagus' effect.
Ah-ha! - So it's not just me.
Wifey: "Hmm, you been eatin' sugar puffs again?" :D

Matt
07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I do find myself looking at objects and thinking "Now what would be the best way to mesh that using sub-ds"

Or

"The new material nodes would be great for that texture"

Or

"If I were to light this room, I'd place an area light there, a point light there ..."

Not to mention the fact that I bore my friends to TEARS with LightWave speak. People at work have stopped coming by my desk for the fear of being sucked into a lecture about how I textured this, or lit that!

It's also a standard joke now among my friends that if they see ANYTHING done in CG, they'll turn to me and say, "I suppose that was done in LightWave was it?"

To which I say, probably!

So thanks a lot NewTek, you have turned me into the biggest geek on the planet!

gerry_g
07-25-2007, 05:47 PM
More than once now I've woken in the night from a dream state and realized I'd been dreaming about modeling something or sorting out a UV map...........think it's time to quit

StevieB
07-25-2007, 06:08 PM
HAHAHA, this thread is awesome. So far I'm not that far into it that i start seeing everything in 3d or wireframe - although I have experience the classic undo mistake. And also I wish you could save and revert to saved ;). HAHA, that would be so cool, you screw up with your career decision and its all good because you saved right before you went to college, lucky you.

IMI
07-25-2007, 08:35 PM
you screw up with your career decision and its all good because you saved right before you went to college, lucky you.

ShawnStovall
07-26-2007, 12:23 AM
I've been training myself to see things in wireframe...I guess I better stop before I actually do...:lwicon:

Captain Obvious
07-26-2007, 05:50 AM
I've been training myself to see things in wireframe...I guess I better stop before I actually do...:lwicon:
It does become annoying after a while.

ShawnStovall
07-27-2007, 03:01 PM
It does become annoying after a while.

JeffrySG
07-28-2007, 04:49 PM
yes, yes, and yes!!!

I'll always look at objects as well and think, ok, what's the best way to sub-d that! Mess up a sketch... wanna hit the undo button... and of course always thinking - boy - that would be a nice texture (with a good normal map too)...

hhahahahah

hrgiger
07-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah, sadly, I can't look at a woman anymore without gawking at their edge loops.

Kuzey
07-29-2007, 09:31 AM
You're walking down the street and something in the distance catches your eye, you try to select said polygons and try shift+ A "Fit Selected" to get a closer look :D

Kuzey

APVWEBSTER
07-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Same problem as you hrgiger but when i look at a woman i think they would look so much nicer with a bit of smooth shifting------cor blimey!!!!

krimpr
07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I can't drive by a gravel pit without being in awe over the high resolution. As for poly count... lets just say that when you get up close to one there's some major instancing happening.

toby
07-29-2007, 02:17 PM
I DON"T want to know.

Since the advent of 3D, flesh-and-blood boobies seem universally smaller and saggier.
Silicone to the rescue. Maybe after a few decades of 3D they'll actually start to look ok :P

What I hate the most is when I see something in real life that looks more fake than I'd never get away with in cg!

v1u1ant
07-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Ive started to pixelate at will. Hopefully by the end of the week ill be at the pub completely rendered.

byte_fx
07-31-2007, 09:23 AM
partly - modeling a really complex item most efficiently and accurately.

but mainly - mentally setting up a radiosity rig - and trying to calculate the render time. Often followed by jaw drop at how fast it happens in real world.

byte_fx