PDA

View Full Version : Copy Paste UVs

G3D
07-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Would like to find a plugin that PROPERLY copies and pastes UV maps.
Have tried on plugin that is supposed to do that, but it doesn't work or isn't complete enough for my needs. I'm working with a model made by someone else that has multiple cloned groups of polys (not 'groups' but polygonal objects that have been duplicated, moved, rotated etc.)
LW Modeler's built in commands -- copy UV paste UV -- just don't cut it.
Any ideas on where to find a plug or script that actually works?
Thanks in advance.

Mike_RB
07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Might not be the most helpful response, but we do all our UV work, including copy/paste in modo... works like a charm. Grab the evaluation version for 30 days no restrictions...

G3D
07-24-2007, 03:12 PM
We have a few copies where I work, but I think they are only 1.0 or so. Is it a 1.0 feature?

Mike_RB
07-24-2007, 03:30 PM
We have a few copies where I work, but I think they are only 1.0 or so. Is it a 1.0 feature?

I think it's 202? The 203 demo however is easy to grab, and it's unlimited use for 30 days.

G3D
07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
But I'm not allowed to install whatever I want here. Have the model loaded and will try it out.

G3D
07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I didn't work. Sure you can set up UVs once and copy the UVs to identical geometry, then move the UV groups apart in the UV edit view. Then go render and see the mess. Try it for yourself, it doesn't work.

Castius
07-24-2007, 10:40 PM
It's not copy paste UV that is not working. Point order can't change. Unless you have XSI 6 you will have a VERY hard time moving UV between objects where point order change.

G3D
07-24-2007, 10:40 PM
If you've seen star wars, imagine the death star. I have an object, not made by me, that consists of many pipes, hoses, cylinders and so on of various shapes and sizes. None of them are default primitives. There are maybe 20 or so different shapes. I need to to UV map each of the types individually and copy the UVs to all of the other groups of polys in the model. The model exists as oner layer. Tried the morph trick and don't think its feasible in this case. Need a plugin or script that can properly do this.

Hope that description helps

Castius
07-24-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't know if you can send the model. But I'd be willing to take a look at the model and try to see if i can help.

G3D
07-24-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't know if you can send the model. But I'd be willing to take a look at the model and try to see if i can help.

can't do that. under nda. however, my descrition should cover it. Imagine an engine made from multiple hoses, cylinders, rounded engine blocks, and so on, all piled on top of each other. I need to have all of the elements, i.e., the groups of polys that make up a hose, cylinder etc, need to be unwrapped using Make UV. Since there are just 15-20 basic types, I need to map and copy the UV spaces to all of the duplicates of the shapes contained in the model. Can't explain it any simpler than that. I would prefer to avoid doing the same work over and over. Also, I do realize that I could just atlas the whole model, but because I later need to paint it, it would help to have neatly unwrapped UVs for each pipe, hose, etc.

G3D
07-24-2007, 10:58 PM
if point order is the prob, try 3dd mesh reknitter plugin.

matches point order in two objects. its really handy when doing morphs.

yeah post a pic so I can see what you are on about.

cheers

Where could I find that?

Castius
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I understand. But there is little i can do without the model.

Here is something i would try.
I would copy one of the tube mesh into a new object.
Then take one of the other copies of the same mesh type and paste that into another new object.
What I would exspect this to do is reoder the point to match.
I would then use the info panel to step through the point order and see if they remotly match.
If they apear close i would try the copy paste Uv command and see what happens.

G3D
07-25-2007, 04:17 PM
This project is mostly in Maya, but since I also know LW well, I'm using Modeler for UV layout since in some aspects its faster. (for me anyway)
But I found that as far as copying and pasting UV coordinates goes, Maya has some issues too. Versions after 7.0 have a new feature called transfer attributes that can copy UVs onto similar geometry. But its about as hit and miss as the LW plugs and scripts I've tried.