PDA

View Full Version : Bug with stretched/dropping images?

Mike_RB
07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
We're getting a bug where we see flickering /stretched images. It looks like the image is being corrupted when loaded. We notice it more when using the farm, and when ray recursions are set to 3 instead of 1. The scene involved gig's of images and displacement maps with lots of blurry reflections on everything. It renders usually in 5.8 gb of ram. We have 12 gig render boxes all xp64 of course.

Anyone seen anything like this? Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

Michael.

Mike_RB
07-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Here is the bug in action:
http://www.elementvfx.com/WebDemo/LW_tex_bug.gif

Mike_RB
07-25-2007, 09:10 PM
bump...

noone?

Eugeny
07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi Mike , i had this problem ones with LW8.3 on 32 bit system. One of the 25 farm machines was doing this (i don't know why, all of them was identical 2Gig RAM PentiumD ). Scene was quite heavy (something like 3.6 Gig to render, lot of image maps). I solved it by simply tracking corrupted frames and disabling the "problem" render node.
Ones i had this problem with TIFF images - simple converting to TGA is solved it.
Did you tried to troubleshoot this? I mean try to find which node is making the problem and which image map making this crap ...
... and why you use ray limit 1 ? Usually 4 is good for simple reflection and shadows and 3 for raytraced shadows and some really rood reflections, 3 for shadows only. I'm newer render beyond 2 :) The quality you get with 2 is not worth the speed gaining you get ...
B.t.w. I'm tried your "bug" from another thread (normal map+CC+Bones+Real MB) work fine, but I'm used simple spherical map to test it. Did you get that problem with UV ?

Mike_RB
07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi Mike , i had this problem ones with LW8.3 on 32 bit system. One of the 25 farm machines was doing this (i don't know why, all of them was identical 2Gig RAM PentiumD ). Scene was quite heavy (something like 3.6 Gig to render, lot of image maps). I solved it by simply tracking corrupted frames and disabling the "problem" render node.
Ones i had this problem with TIFF images - simple converting to TGA is solved it.
Did you tried to troubleshoot this? I mean try to find which node is making the problem and which image map making this crap ...
... and why you use ray limit 1 ? Usually 4 is good for simple reflection and shadows and 3 for raytraced shadows and some really rood reflections, 3 for shadows only. I'm newer render beyond 2 :) The quality you get with 2 is not worth the speed gaining you get ...
B.t.w. I'm tried your "bug" from another thread (normal map+CC+Bones+Real MB) work fine, but I'm used simple spherical map to test it. Did you get that problem with UV ?

seems to be different nodes each time, but if the 1st frame the node renders goes bad, all the frames afterwards are bad as well, so I think its a load problem.

And yes, it's UV's on the normal bug with photorweal blur.

Mike_RB
08-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Ok, I solved this one. Newtek, you need to take a look at your image editing code. What was happening was there was about a 15% chance when an image was loaded with a gamma adjustment that was getting loaded as part of an object surface using nodes it would totally screw up the texture. Only when ram usage was way up past 3 gb's though.

Gregg "T.Rex"
08-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Some time ago, i had a similar problem with 9.0 and scenes with huge textures, like 20 HDRs at 6K res, using classic texturing, not nodes. Textures were "dancing" all over the place while rendering in local workstations. I resorted to FPrime to save the day...

Maybe, this is related somehow...

T.Rex

Mike_RB
08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
It was for sure the gamma adjustment we made using the image editor. After stripping that off its never happened again.