PDA

View Full Version : Renderman 2.0

archijam
07-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Did anyone see this?

I expect it is released now especially for siggraph ...

j.

Pixar Releases RenderMan for Maya 2.0

We have your name listed in our database as previously registering interest in Pixar's RenderMan for Maya.

We are pleased to notify you that RenderMan for Maya 2.0 is now available for purchase and immediate download at only $995 per license.

RenderMan for Maya 2.0 delivers all of RenderMan's legendary performance, features, and quality, combined with intuitive ease of use. As the recognized cornerstone of professional film visual effects and animation rendering, Pixar's RenderMan for Maya 2.0 will provide your creations with an unparalleled visual edge.

The latest feature highlights in RenderMan for Maya 2.0 include:

- Multi-threading and parallel rendering on up to 4 processors/cores
- Major software speed increases. ie: 3x faster ray-tracing
- Faster, better looking fur
- New camera effects including shutter timing and bokeh
- Texture baking into UV space
- Point based occlusion and color bleeding
- Perform Booleans with rendertime CSG
- Caustic effects
- Compatibility with Maya versions 7.0 and 8.5

If you would like to try out the functionality in RenderMan for Maya 2.0, a free watermarked evaluation version is available: Please visit the Pixar e-store at https://renderman.pixar.com/products/tools/rfm_splash.html for more details.

We will keep you periodically updated on RenderMan developments. If you are attending SIGGRAPH 2007 in San Diego we look forwards to seeing you at Pixar's booth #727 where we shall be demonstrating the latest versions of all our RenderMan software tools.

For any additional questions please contact [email protected] We look forwards to assisting you.

The RenderMan team

Titus
07-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, when they release RenderMan for LW it will be interesting for me.

archijam
07-25-2007, 03:25 AM
I find the mysterious 999 dollar ceiling for these rendering engines interesting.

It is probably the only thing keeping engines such as KRay etc in the lower price bracket ..

When will the bubble burst? :(

j.

Red_Oddity
07-25-2007, 04:12 AM
I find the pricing schemes somewhat iffy for companies like Pixar...
Clearly they build the latest PRMan renderer around their latest feature film, which rake in around the billion dollar mark per movie, which makes me believe that should be more than enough to square out the costs for building the renderer in the first place.
Sure, rebuilding the tools for sale costs more effort, but you can't tell me that it warrants a $999 pricetag per license.

archijam
07-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Neverko - nice point ..

I guess this forum aleviates much of the support costs of Newtek .. smart.

That makes us all unpaid employees of Newtek. In fact, we paid to get here :)

j.

Red_Oddity
07-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Sometimes products are also deliberately priced, so that every guy and his dog doesn't buy it. Costumers = support. If every little guy out there bought it, they'd have to support a whole lot of users. High price = cutting support cost and a "higher end" user base..

Yes, but that point becomes moot when you actually have to pay for actual phone support

(1) Every RenderMan for Maya customer is granted free access to a dedicated online support forum. We expect most of your questions will be answered on this forum by either the RenderMan support and development team or by other customers who have encountered similar issues.

(2) During the first 30 days of ownership, if the support forum cannot solve your problem, you may contact Pixar support directly. From the 31st day, if you have a problem requiring personalized attention, the RenderMan on-line store offers a $149 single call option or a $449 value package of five calls that can be used at any time.

archijam
07-25-2007, 10:20 AM
mmmmmm... I like the sound of the VALUE PACKAGE. How much did you say it was?

j.

Titus
07-25-2007, 11:00 AM
RenderMan support was very simple a few years ago because of the few customers Pixar had. Customers like ILM with thousands of licenses and access to the source code. For a small company with a few licenses (my case) took like a week to receive an answer from their support.

Now with RMfM and their customer base growing they decided to let their online community/support to solve the most common problems just like any other 3d software.

Matt
07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm surprised by that feature list actually, I though RM had most of that, with it being a "high-end" renderer.

Speaking of tech support, I have to say that the LW community do indeed help NT out inadvertently, if I ever have a major problem (unless my dongle died or something) I come here expecting other users to answer, I think I emailed NT Tech Support once waaaaaaaaay back (they responded pretty quick though).

But the forum is without doubt a huge burden remover for NT!