PDA

View Full Version : basic morphing

pete186
07-24-2007, 12:04 AM
I don't seem to to be able to get my head round morphing...for my exercise I in (Modler 9) I create a simple box in layer 1 ..I copy and paste the box to layer 2 ...select the end points and stretch them out to give a simple deformation..I the select layer 1 goto New Endomorph and give it a name ..v1..goto layer 2 give it a name v2...this is where I start to loose the plot... do I select layer2 ..select ApplyMorph and give it the value v2 with 100%
tryed the different variations to no avail.. when I syncronize to Layout I just get the 2 layers sittin there .. i would like them to change shape over time when I move the slider ....think im missing something basic here..like a brain!...any help appreciated...cheerzpete (goin nuts)

Surrealist.
07-24-2007, 12:21 AM
If you install the help content files it is a snap to search particular items in question using the F1 help function. I love this feature. Here's what I got:

How do I use this tool?

When you click on the command, a dialog box will open that's not unlike the dialog you get when you click on W in the Vmap Bar and choose (new) from the drop down menu. (Mostly because it's exactly the same one.)

Name
Enter a name for your new morph in the Name field, or choose an existing name from the drop down menu. The menu contains all the names of all the morph maps used during the current session, whether or not the objects remain open, and whether or not the maps have any points assigned to them.

It's suggested that you name your morph using the group.pose format; like Eyes.Open or Mouth.Smile. That will cause the morph to appear on the same tab with all the other poses in that group when you use Morph Mixer in Layout.

Type
Choose the Type for the new morph. Relative targets record point displacement relative to the base object, so they are affected when the base object moves. Absolute targets are not affected by positional changes to the base object, although they do reflect changes to the number of points in the object.

Click OK to create the new Endomorph, and start to move the points around. (If you don't, and you change the map shown in the Vmap Bar, the new endomorph will vanish. It's a use it or lose it kind of thing.)

So basically you create the morph then move the points. Done.

Then make sure to go back to the base object if you are going to change the base object permanently.

Apply Morph (Map > Morph: Apply Morph)

How do I use this tool?

Choose the morph target you would like to modify from the Vmap Bar, or create a new one, and click the command. A dialog box will open.

Choose the morph you want to copy from the drop down list. The list contains all the names of all the Morph maps used during the current session, whether or not the objects remain open, and whether or not the maps have any points assigned to them. (But you won't get anything if you don't choose a valid morph, of course.)

You can decide how much to blend the morph with the geometry that's already there by entering a percentage in the Strength field.

Be aware that if you choose to apply a morph to the Base object, that displacement will appear in all the morphs associated with that base, including the one you used to change it.

You can also use this command to increase a morph by applying it to itself.

So Apply Morph is not for creating the initial morph.

A great feature to know but the name can be a bit misleading I guess. :)

Trevor
07-24-2007, 12:25 AM
The morphs are embedded in your object, you dont have to create layers.
When you create a new endomorph, as soon as you move a point changing the object, that change stays.
You can create multiple morphs, just create a new endomorph from the bottom right of your screen.
Its here you can pull down the menu, and scroll through your saved morphs, from your named morphs to the base.
If you want to see your morphs in layout, apply morphmixer, open the panel and move the sliders.

evenflcw
07-24-2007, 03:21 AM
What might have thrown you off (other than Mayas way of doing it) is the use of the BackgroundToMorph function which will turn whatever is placed in the background into a morph for the foreground layer (requires the same point count, and to get usable results, that the point order is the same, ie essentially that it is an identical mesh). This however is not the usual way to go about it.

For everyday use it's as Trevor suggests. Just select a morph from the dropdownmenu, and move the points. That's it!