PDA

View Full Version : Blinking Subpatch UVs?

GoneGuy
07-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm sure I read a thread mentioning this but can't find it -

I am trying to unwrap the UVs of a subpatch model. When I generate a projection only the vertices of the subpatch mesh show. When I click in the UV window the subpatch mesh snaps into place then snaps back out of place when I release.

It is not a big model - 430 CC patches - (Catmull Clarke I guess then). I am using LW9.2 on a preIntel Mac G5.

Any ideas please.

Sensei
07-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Try using Legacy OpenGL (press 'd', then GL tab, and Legacy OpenGL on- it's not saved in config file due bug in LW!! So you will have to repeat it each time Modeler is run), and tell us whether it still happens..

Surrealist.
07-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Was having the same problem. Legacy OGL does not work here.

GoneGuy
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks Sensei but I tried this and it didn't work. I thought it might be a display issue so had a look through the display settings without any result.

This is a real disappointment - I was just feeling confident about building my own UVs. I can't see any way out other than to look into alternate software.

Sensei
07-24-2007, 04:50 PM
How about getting ride off CC N-gons and switching to traditional Sub-Patch technique? Does it help?

GoneGuy
07-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I've thought about this and will try it. I know I have a few 5 sided polys.

But this is a backward step isn't it.

I have been learning to manually generate UVs as the PLG UV plugins don't work on the Mac, now this.

Not your problem Sensei, thanks for your help.

Just feeling I'm being kicked round four corners of a box.

Maxx
07-24-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm fairly sure that there are still some rather large issues with CC sub-d's and UV maps. Like, they really don't like each other. Classic sub-d's do, however, work with UV mapping, so if you can convert any >4 point polys, that's probably going to leave you with the most hair after the project. Of course, I could be wrong (haven't used CC sub-d's in a long time, and probably wont until they're actually finished - which I hope is coming in LW 9.3....)

IMI
07-24-2007, 06:01 PM
I've had mixed results with CC and UV, sometimes good, sometimes bad, wrong, but with LW's "traditional" sub-patch, better.
I'd hesitate though, about calling it a backward step - there are other reasons to shun the use of ngons and stick to quads.

GoneGuy
07-24-2007, 06:06 PM
I appreciate the discipline of working in Quads and try to stick to it.

In my current model I got rid of the six 5 sided polys I had but the UV did not work.

I selected all the SubDs then selected the classic SubD mode but they are all still recognised as CCs? Is there anyway of changing my SubDs from Catmull Clarke to classic?

GoneGuy
07-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Yes, I got it - I turned off Subpatch mode, then with Subpatch mode still on 'classic' hit TAB and the resulting subpatches are recognised as (classic) SubD.

And the Subpatch UVs hold.

GoneGuy
07-24-2007, 06:21 PM
For future reference IMI, what are some of the reasons to avoid NGons?

Is it compatibility with other processes - surfacing, animation, other programs?

IMI
07-25-2007, 08:39 PM
For me, I'd say it's largely for compatibility with other programs. ZBrush, for one, doesn't like Ngons, and also recommends against triangles, too. Quads are great, but anything other than triangles can easily become non-planar, which can cause render errors. But quads just seem to be overall easier to work with.
All my opinion, of course, but I was taught this a long time ago.