PDA

View Full Version : AVI to MPEG?

sly808
07-23-2007, 08:02 PM
We used a Tricaster Pro for the first time this weekend to tape a sporting event. I have the AVI files from the shoot sitting on an external hard drive after moving them, and now I want to import them into my Intel Mac Book Pro to edit in Final Cut. What's the best way to convert the files so that FCP can see them? I can import them now but only the audio comes through with no video so I'm guessing AVI isn't a file format that FCP supports. Is anyone out there editing on a Mac like me? What have you done? Thanks!

DrVideo
08-01-2007, 03:21 PM
I have a Tricaster and have the same issue of not being able to import the propriatary NT25 AVI format. You can export to a standard AVI for import to FCP but that defeats any time saved by recording to the hd in the first place.

I gave up that method of tricaster to FCP. I now just hook-up my Sony DSR-20 DVCam to the SVideo output of the Tricaster and Ingest to FCP from Tape.

sly808
08-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. What I found out was that if I do the "prepare for VCR" function, it creates an AVI file that FCP recognizes. The humbug part is that the Tricaster needs to format the files which may take some time, depending on how big your original files are.