PDA

View Full Version : facebook?

cresshead
07-22-2007, 12:19 PM
okay i've read all the ohh ahh about it and it's going to take over from microsoft according the the bbc [yeah right!]

so signed up...and i have no idea just what it does!....there's no help or about
docs on site...

so what does it do/offer??

weird!...i feel like an old git with a new puter!

surposidly there's facebook apps but i can't locate them...
also didn't considder my email address [[email protected]] as a valid one
so had to use my yahoo email...crap init?
[[email protected]]

Hmmm...what is all the fuss about this thing?:twak:

cagey5
07-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Have you tried wikipedea? Looks to be little more than a friends linking database. Like yahoo on steroids?

cresshead
07-22-2007, 02:56 PM
yeah had a look...the bbc news item had it as ''THE'' big thing...must say i'm really underwhelmed with it...it's just like myspace but a bit more tidy looking.

myspace just reminds me of walking into any teenager's typical bedroom..mess all over the floor and you just want to leave!...

think i'll bin facebook as ''hyped up poo''.

archijam
07-22-2007, 04:18 PM
MySpace for grownups, that about sums it up. At least .. the intention.

j.

Puguglybonehead
07-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Well, over the past 10 months or so, it seems that most of my workmates from my previous locale have joined and, now that I've moved back to Toronto, everyone that I know here has also joined Facebook. Signed up about 5 weeks ago, myself. Peer pressure's a *****. :devil:

I've noticed that, for some people, it seems to replace both the telephone and email as a 1st-line method of reaching someone (much to my annoyance :bangwall: ). Friends are now sending me social invitations, gossip and general 'hello's' via Facebook, expecting that somehow I, like them, am checking my Facebook account several times per day for any possible tiny little bit of news. Sorry, I miss the plain old telephone, myself. :phone_cal Much faster and less complicated.

And yeah, to me it just seems like a slightly less bandwidth-intensive version of MySpace. Social networking. Whatever happened to actually just being sociable?

Titus
07-22-2007, 10:13 PM
I hate social networks, and I hate twitter the most.

Matt
07-23-2007, 02:33 AM
Purely for kids / teenagers, not for me, had a MySpace entry once, but got spammed by hookers!

FaceBook seemed like too much of a PITA, didn't like the idea that I couldn't see which of my friends from my address book where on there until I emailed ALL of them!

Plus these sites are a harvest for identity theives.

alifx
07-23-2007, 03:28 AM
facebook is just like Hi5.com

it's good for someone who wants to have friends from the net, or to chat about nothing hehe :P

I don't like it, and and you'll find many of the users are kids or teenagers.

I registered once on Hi5, just because there was a samll Lightwave group :D

Captain Obvious
07-23-2007, 04:22 AM
Facebook and similar sites are a good way of keeping in touch with people you might otherwise not.

Chris S. (Fez)
07-23-2007, 04:49 AM
I am 30 and unlike the majority of my peers, I have never understood the appeal of socializing to such an extent on the web. I have 3 close friends and countless acquaintances who discovered their spouses on dating sites.

For me email is absolutely ideal for business and for old friends who I am not actively socializing with but who I would not mind making an appearance at my funeral/wedding.

As a rule, I do not IM because it is a productivity hazard. Accordingly, I refuse to join facebook/myspace stuff. The same reason I never tried coke. I was afraid I would like it.

I hate phone texting with a passion. I exchanged like 60 texts with my girlfriend the other day and, although I enjoy the banter, I HATE the medium. Not only can it be a frustratingly inefficient way to communicate, but it also makes my fingers hurt. I get enough repetitive stress doing 3D or typing on a keyboard all day, let alone poking at a little number pad.

Seriously, I think this texting thing might be a "dealbreaker" :devil:

The only advantage to texting is it at times make me seem quicker than I actually am because I can take a minute or two to compose an appropriately witty/sympathetic/scathing response.

I like message boards like this one, mainly because my social investment is so superficial. Basically meaning that none of you can, on a whim, kung-fu me in the crotch or show up at my door with a shotgun:) .

Matt
07-23-2007, 06:51 AM
The only advantage to texting is it at times make me seem quicker than I actually am because I can take a minute or two to compose an appropriately witty/sympathetic/scathing response.

That is sooooooooooooooooooooooo true!!!

I HAVE to write texts properly too, with full grammar and punctuation, otherwise I fear I will lose the skill!

I simply loathe 'text speak', it just makes you sound retarded!

Can you believe we have received CVs for professional positions here at work with text speak in them! I weep for the future!

Chris S. (Fez)
07-23-2007, 07:19 AM
I simply loathe 'text speak', it just makes you sound retarded!

I agree wholeheartedly, though I AM evolving. I can now type LOL on these boards without cringing.

Chris S. (Fez)
07-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Can you believe we have received CVs for professional positions here at work with text speak in them! I weep for the future!

That is incredible. Can you remember any examples off-hand?

Steamthrower
07-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Happens to me all the time. Here I am, emailing a guy who makes $500,000 a year, and he says ''ROFLMAO''?

I also have a 65-year-old relative who writes ''U r rite on, lol''.

Is it a social complex that makes people do this? LOL.

kopperdrake
07-23-2007, 07:59 AM
I like message boards like this one, mainly because my social investment is so superficial. Basically meaning that none of you can, on a whim, kung-fu me in the crotch or show up at my door with a shotgun:) .

But we can make your life a misery by the power of the smily :p

I'm in total agreement though - there's so much background noise in today's life via landline, mobiles (cels?), text messages, emails, blog alerts, rss feeds, msn, icq, skype, x-fire, steam chat, faxes (remember those) that the nearer I get to 40 the less I feel inclined to add more to my repertoire. And then you risk being alienated by certain members of your extended peer group as you don't use the current method of communicating. My last attempt was to open an account at the latest and greatest webspace thingy, and after a day or so getting it all set up and a week of not pouring my life into it, I can say I have totally forgotten where it is! I spoke to 5 former colleagues who I haven't spoken to in 3 years, and am unlikely to speak to in at least another 5 years, if at all. So from now on I stay with my phone and email and, grudingly, my mobile. If friends can't be arsed to call me or email to find out how I am then I really do wonder :) I mean - I even had a friend who went on the trip of a lifetime to Brazil's rain forests and blogged the entire experience from her mobile phone!!! What's the point of that!! There wasn't even a reason to ask her 'did you have a nice time' when she got back coz you damn well knew she did! You saw it all - in glorious digitized technicolor.

Same goes for technology - I look at all my old pieces of kit - phones, PCs, consoles etc and then realise the sheer waste sat in my house! I have the entire collection of add-ons for my old Sony T610 phone - it died but the peripherals didn't. You can't flog 'em second hand as some place in Singapore is knocking out the old stuff brand new for pennies and it's worth nothing anyway as it's sooooooo last season (well...several seasons to the connoiseurs of mobile technology). Same goes for old PDAs - I have those bits too, and old computer cables and so on. I am actively *not* buying into the latest generation of AV distribution stuff. I just can't be bothered.

I really do think I'll just end up a bitter silicone-luddite, sat in the corner of the local pub muttering to my dog about how much better it all was before the microchip. Either that or I'll just grow sheep and tomatoes :D

Matt
07-23-2007, 08:47 AM
That is incredible. Can you remember any examples off-hand?

They are the ones that get deleted immediately! But they go something along the lines of ...

"can u giv mi a job, becoz i lik drwing innit, hop 2 c u l8tr"

Or words to that effect, basically, thick as sh!t!

archijam
07-23-2007, 08:54 AM
They are the ones that get deleted immediately!

... but .. my cv was l33t ?!?! :stop:

U r sooo PWND!

j.

Matt
07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
LOL! Actually, the use l33t and pwnd would be an instant hire!

Captain Obvious
07-24-2007, 07:45 AM
My cv r suxx0rz, so i went to the pwn shop to sell my stuff. :(

cresshead
07-24-2007, 08:27 AM
your all making me feel VERY old!

i don't 'text'....no idea about that oddball mungrel language youngsters use!

archijam
07-24-2007, 09:27 AM
i don't 'text'....no idea about that oddball mungrel language youngsters use!

It's never too late cress ... try this (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=r0x0r+b0x0rz) on the kids! :thumbsup:

j.