PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the spam lately?

IMI
07-21-2007, 08:08 AM
It seems like the spam has quadrupled all of a sudden, unless I just never noticed it before.
Are these people actually creating accounts for this, or is it some kind of automatic script that does it somehow?
If it's the former, I'd hope they're at least getting insta-banned.

Matt
07-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Reported

Matt
07-21-2007, 08:39 AM
;)

iconoclasty
07-21-2007, 08:39 AM
It gets especially bad on the weekends. I assume there's not many NewTek mods working the weekend to remove it. I believe the spam is a mix of hand made and automated and of course is auto banned.

duke
07-21-2007, 08:40 AM
I believe they do it via an automatic script. Some forums get around this by requiring you to write down whats in one of those jumbled images, but frankly I think it would be better to ask a question any half-witted person could answer. Like "These are the _______ forums", where the answer is "Newtek".

hrgiger
07-21-2007, 08:40 AM
It's been going on for quite some time and we've all been trying to stay on top of it. They really should figure out a solution.

duke
07-21-2007, 06:25 PM
We could have self-modification that they try out, where if 10 people or more mark a thread as spam it gets thrown in the trash, and if it wasn't those 10 people are thrown in the dungeon.

cagey5
07-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Q. Does replying to spam with just a simple 'reported' message generate more spam. The theory goes that the auto e-mail response will then earmark the thread/forum as live and generate more spam in the future.

Therefore are we better off reporting the spam but not responding via the thread as 'reported'?

Stooch
07-21-2007, 08:18 PM
the best solution is to team up steven segal and chuck norris and have them hunt the spammer down using chucks tracking abilities and then have seagal deliver a broken elbow throw into chucks waiting round house.

meshpig
07-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Yeah, don't respond. That just identifies your account as being an active one.

M

meshpig
07-22-2007, 05:50 AM
the best solution is to team up steven segal and chuck norris and have them hunt the spammer down using chucks tracking abilities and then have seagal deliver a broken elbow throw into chucks waiting round house.

Even though Chuck is reeeeelly fast, how's he gonna smack a robot then hey?

:)

meshpig
07-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Q. Does replying to spam with just a simple 'reported' message generate more spam. The theory goes that the auto e-mail response will then earmark the thread/forum as live and generate more spam in the future.

Therefore are we better off reporting the spam but not responding via the thread as 'reported'?

Yeah!!! Unless you think a machine gives a toss about being "reported".

m

Weetos
07-22-2007, 05:58 AM
It's been going on for quite some time and we've all been trying to stay on top of it. They really should figure out a solution.

I gave them a solution that works fine ( no more spam on the fora I patched - I mean not even a single one in five months). Looking at the amount of spam on NT's forum, I guess they didn't listen to me or didn't want to implement my solution.

SBowie
07-22-2007, 07:27 AM
The spambots seem to gang up early morning, and particularly on weekends.

That said, it certainly seems it can be beaten. The similar (VBulletin based) Bauhaus forum hasn't suffered a single spam post since the end of December. Prior to that it was just as bad.

zapper1998
07-22-2007, 07:45 AM
yep

There bored, the spam bots, they are yeppers

were is Super Dog when u need em the most????

RTSchramm
07-22-2007, 08:01 AM
It shouldn't be that hard to stop the spammers. I am I correct that to create a new topic, you have to have a user name and password? If so Newtek should be able to disable the account the spammer is using, and use the special character verification for future forum access, like other forums do.

Rich

cagey5
07-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah!!! Unless you think a machine gives a toss about being "reported".

m

I think people only post 'reported' to prevent others wasting their effort. I doubt anyone actually thinks the spammers read individual replies

SBowie
07-22-2007, 08:55 AM
If so Newtek should be able to disable the account the spammer is using, and use the special character verification for future forum access, like other forums do.Unfortunately, it's not that simple. It's easy to ban a particular address, but the spambots have hundreds more where that one came from.

manholoz
07-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Why not like cgtalk, where the first posts are moderated? But maybe Newtek does not have the necessary manpower to do that...