PDA

View Full Version : Kray verses Maxwell!

sean hargreaves
07-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Hey guys, which is the better all around renderer, Kray or Maxwell?

Matt
07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
It soooooo depends on what you're rendering.

Personally I think Maxwell is too slow as a general purpose renderer, whereas i've only really seen interior stuff with Kray, so not sure how it fairs with other types of subjects.

I'd go for FPrime or even the LW renderer.

sean hargreaves
07-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Well, I have FPrime, but it bothers me that I can't use soft shadows without area lights and that I can't use shaders in Fprime.

ingo
07-21-2007, 03:04 AM
If you cant use shaders in FPrime me thinks you can't use them in Kray too.

As Matt said before LW, FPrime and Kray are all good alround renderers since they rely on LightWaves texturing and lighting system, while Maxwell and Fry use their very own system and are harder to learn, and of course are slower. I would say with LWs improved renderer and FPrime you have already a good system, and i hope that some day we get smooth shadows in LW for all lights.

Sarford
07-21-2007, 03:48 AM
I don't have Fprime but I do have Kray and I must say that its a pretty sweet renderer. Very fast and very flexible. One drawback is that it can't render nodal surfaces. There are plans on resolving that isue though, but I don't know when couse development is a bit slow at the moment. Seems the developer had some problems in his personal life and had to take it a bit slower for the time being.

greent
07-21-2007, 03:49 AM
well i think you can now use soft shadows on all lights using denis pontonniers shadows node which works fine even with fprime.
check here: http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

(atm some node pages reports 404 but i hope this will be fixed soon)

dpont
07-21-2007, 04:24 AM
The page link has been fixed, thanks,
but Shadows node is limited on FPrime,
no transparency in shadows and do not use
multithreading with FP3 ("Render Settings").

Denis.

3dworks
07-21-2007, 04:48 AM
basically, maxwell is a light simulation engine which of course can be used in any way - but this means it is focused to render with the maximal possible unbiased quality, so any 'bypass' of this (or biasing) for the sake of speed is against it's nature - or if you put it in another way, the trade 'speed for fake' is not coherent with it's purpose. so, if you keep this always in mind, as an artist you can do nearly everything with it, but of course, you will need the computational resources to do so! what is possible can be seen at maxwells user gallery. besides this, it's quite fast for what it does.

kray is exactly the opposite. it is a highly optimized biased render engine with a stunning image quality, where you can tune nearly every aspect of it's GI parameters to get the maximum speed together with the best possible quality. the engine is working with nearly all elements of LW's surfacing system, whereas with maxwell you need to adapt surfaces to the completely different simulation paradigm (no specularity or similiar 'fakes', BSDF layers, etc.). up to a certain point the plugin will do that for you, but to get the most out of it, you need to understand maxwell's different approach. back to kray, you won't do any physically exact light simulation with it but you can get very close. in any case, if you are going to do animations with GI, you don't want to be without it.

my 2c

markus

3dworks
07-21-2007, 10:53 AM
...but, after seeing what happened with the last thread about fry and maxwell, maybe it's better not to post anymore in any of those xxx vs yyy threads.

i'm going now to enjoy the LW vs. Paris Hilton thread. :D

markus

ingo
07-21-2007, 11:28 AM
..i'm going now to enjoy the LW vs. Paris Hilton thread. :D

What the heck has LW to do with a hotel ?? And isn't Hilton already sold since the family was to dumb to keep it alive ?

cheers

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Gaze
07-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Does Maxwell utilize the multiple cores of multi-core CPUs?

For instance, a 24hr rendering (on single-core) might take, say 6 or 8 hours on a quad-core? Educate me, please.

glebe digital
07-22-2007, 03:41 AM
Does Maxwell utilize the multiple cores of multi-core CPUs?

For instance, a 24hr rendering (on single-core) might take, say 6 or 8 hours on a quad-core? Educate me, please.

Yes, you can set the render-threads according to the number of cores that you have..........

sean hargreaves
07-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I have a dual core. So what do I do regarding render threads?

glebe digital
07-25-2007, 03:39 AM
I have a dual core. So what do I do regarding render threads?

You can set the threads to 2 and both cores will be cookin'.
You can also set the same scene rendering on multiple PCs and merge the results later, either manually or using the built-in network rendering..........a doddle to set-up if you've got experience of Screamernet and drive-mapping.