PDA

View Full Version : OBJ export and Maya

G3D
07-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Is there a version of LW that can correctly write an OBJ so that it contains UVs set up within Modeler and be readable by Maya's OBJ import?
Have had no luck so far. However, Deep Paint can recognize the OBJ and if saved out of that program, Maya can read that. Need some help here, hopefully which doesn't involve another application. Any ideas?

Bytehawk
07-20-2007, 02:24 PM
make sure that the uv map is used in the texture editor (for example in the color channel), otherwise the exporter won't write the UV map in the OBJ file

G3D
07-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Its set up the way you suggested already.

IMI
07-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Is it possible you have more than one UV map on your object? The OBJ format can only deal with one UV map per object.
Are you saying that your OBJ comes into Maya with no UV map, period? Or it's there, but 'wrong'?
I don't know anything at all about Maya, but every other app I use that handles OBJ and UV's loads an LW-exported, UV-mapped OBJ model perfectly.

Dodgy
07-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Is it not loading the object at all? I've had issues where I can't import an obj, it crashes maya, but if I Load it like a maya scene, then it works fine. The only time I get missing UV's is if I've failed to assign a map in the surface editor.

G3D
07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
fails to load in Maya at all. At bot. of screen Maya's info says the file is unreadable. Its inconsistent though; some other models did come through ok. Trying to pin down the trouble.

Dodgy
07-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah, for some reason, maya would import LW obj's till version 7 of maya. Then it would only Load them, not import them, so you might want to try that.;

faulknermano
07-26-2007, 12:23 AM
try

http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/Maya2LW2/lw_lscript/Maya2LW2_ExportMA.ls

but UV support is not the best, but it might just work for you. and it's also a bit slow...

jin choung
07-26-2007, 12:32 AM
deep exploration from right hemisphere works like a dream but not free i'm afraid.

jin

Dodgy
07-26-2007, 02:55 AM
Not even cheap... Buying it new is 495 dollars now....

faulknermano
07-26-2007, 03:45 AM
also try this:

1. export the LWO as OBJ (be sure textures are assigned to uv maps)
2. open the OBJ in LW (not Maya).
3. reassign textures to uvmap.
4. save the object as LWO again (another filename).
5. load this new LWO.
6. again, export the OBJ.
7. load this second OBJ into Maya.

see if that works.... sometimes LWOs of different sources are funky... even inside modeler, like how some objects have points that could not be properly uvmapped. i use this workaround to "refresh" the geometry from whatever vmaps that may have screwed it up.

RedBull
07-26-2007, 03:46 AM
There are demo's of a lot of software that will do it...
Blender should be able to import .lwo and export .obj.

Titus
07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
It's a nightmare! I'm trying to export a LWO to obj and 3ds and for some reason only exports one layer.

ScrappyRMH
07-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Maya will not import a model that has concave polys. For example, if you take a flat plane that is a single 4 point poly and boolean a square out of the middle you will see an edge running from one of the outside points to one of the inside points for the middle square. Lightwave is fine with this but if you convert it to an OBJ and send it to Maya it will not work.

Before converting to OBJ to send to Maya, make sure you have no concave polys. LWCAD has a function called "Make Convex" which will only slice the polys that need it. Otherwise you could triangulate everything.

Can't help you on the UV conversions. Haven't done enough of that.

Titus
07-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Blender can import a LWO and export to an obj, it also gives you some options for the export. The only drawback are the flipped normals.

G3D
07-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Got it working w/o any extra software. Switched to a PC running Xp instead of Vista and that seemed to do the trick. Who knows why that should make much difference.

IMI
07-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Maybe Vista decided you didn't own the rights to your UV maps. :D

Glad to hear you got it going though.

LightFreeze
07-27-2007, 12:45 AM
been working on this LScript, consider it a beta at the moment but if your stuck it should help.
It will save layered objects with the correct UV mapping so long as you select a UV which covers all the points and all the layers.
It incorporates Dodgys Material exporter, with permission (thanks Dodgy).
It will save the objects + the material in a folder where the .lwo is.

Still to do, give user a save location option, optimise(maybe) and possibly allow selecting a UV per layer, not sure if this will work though.

Its uncompiled so feel free to improve

Steven