PDA

View Full Version : Newtek! Add 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator Support!

Jessy
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
I just got a 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator, and will never use another program without it. Trouble is, Lightwave doesn't support it, and neither does just about anything else, especially on the Mac. I want to see this thing supported everywhere, even in the OS for scrolling and zooming (should be especially nice with OS 10.5's resolution-independence). Please do what you can, NewTek.

https://3dconnexionstore.com/itemDetail.asp?itmNo=56826423N

I don't see how anyone can go without it for the price...you can get it for $50 here:

http://clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A5000214

I've used it with Maya, Cheetah3D, and Google Earth. None of them support the tilting of the knob left and right, which I find to be quite irritating. It's fine if you agree with certain other designers on this, but please don't force users to bow to this. You can disable any of the axes individually, so please let us turn the view left and right in this manner.

Thanks!

Matt
07-20-2007, 12:11 PM
I've got a feeling that this wouldn't be easy to do with the current LW core.

AbnRanger
07-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Users have asked for support (has to be done on LW's end, says 3D Connexion) for quite some time. It's fallen on deaf ears apparently. Sure would be nice if Newtek would explain why...whether they think it's not enough of a priority, or that they can't...whatever...but at least we'd know where they stood.
Could someone going to Siggraph ask them about this, please?

Trulsi
07-27-2007, 01:34 AM
With some stuff I just don't even think about how cool it would be to have it, because it is too expensive. But when I saw the prices on the 3dconnexion devices - I sort of saw the light! How could it would be to have control in for example the top and the side viewports at the same time! What do you say, Newtek?

AbnRanger
07-27-2007, 01:41 AM
That's exactly what they've said for ages....

Nothing. :thumbsdow

Trulsi
07-27-2007, 04:03 AM
... How could it would be ... Oh no! That should be "cool"...

noyce
07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm employed as a Design Engineer/CAD coordinator for an engineering company so spend most of my time using Unigraphics NX, with a space navigator. If I'm not at work then I'm usually at home using Lightwave and although I absolutely love using the software, I hate not being able to use my 3D controller. In my opinion it just feels so much nicer and also speeds up the work process dramatically.

I did find a driver for it many years ago which worked with version 6 (I think it was 6) but it wasn't great :(

COME ON NEWTEK!!!!!!!!!

iconoclasty
07-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Newtek's working on a lot of stuff at the moment. And although it would be nice, I don't think this one is on their priority list.
Still, I wouldn't mind a hint as to when/if they might try to support the controllers. v. 9.5? 10? 13?

hrgiger
07-28-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't see how anyone can go without it for the price...you can get it for $50 here:

With so little support as of yet, why would I want it?

noyce
07-29-2007, 05:55 AM
The 3DConnexion range of 3d controllers has lots of support in the CAD industry. Very few CAD users are without one as it speeds up the design/drawing process so dramatically.

Andyjaggy
07-29-2007, 10:44 PM
That's exactly what they've said for ages....

Nothing. :thumbsdow

Newtek has been very quiet lately. I don't think I have heard a word from them in months now.

AbnRanger
07-30-2007, 03:40 AM
Leading up to Siggraph, I expected as much...I just hope they aren't equally quiet AT Siggraph.:sleeping:

Blacktortoise
09-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I was assigned one of the cool looking SpaceExplorers at work a few months ago and once I got used to it I can't imagine using any 3D program without it anymore.

I went out and bought another SpaceExplorer for at home. There are hundreds of programs the 3DConnexion devices work with especially most of the Autodesk ones. I know both Max and Maya have support for those devices and Cinema 4D too I think. Even Blender recently released a version with support for those devices which I have fiddled with a little.

Hopefully a plugin will be developed soon for Lightwave. The SDK is free on the 3DConnexion website. Are there any programmers reading this thread who want to take a whack at scripting up a plugin for the hungry masses? That would so rule.

SP00
09-15-2007, 11:01 AM
I think you guys should all put this in the new feature request e-mail. The more people sending in request for this feature the higher it will climb on the priority list. That is how the new system works.

GraphXs
09-15-2007, 12:38 PM
I believe TrueArts made some plugin that allows that controller to work within layout. :thumbsup:

archijam
09-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Flying in google earth, great, especially for the price. Navigating around a program, OK.

But did anybody actually look at the 3ds max video? It looked frustratingly awkward and inaccurate. Does someone here actually need to randomly spin a cube? Perhaps they should just get someone to make the video that has touched it before?

j.

iconoclasty
09-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Those were some truly horrible example videos. How about showing us someone actually working with one of those.

pixelranger
09-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Yep, GraphXs is correct. Check out CameraMan:

TrueARt's CameraMan (http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/CameraMan)

edit: and did I mention it is free?

jaf
09-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Yep, GraphXs is correct. Check out CameraMan:

TrueARt's CameraMan (http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/CameraMan)

edit: and did I mention it is free?

Man, I must be dense. Where's the downoad link for CameraMan?

eagleeyed
09-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Oopss, wrong thread. Sorry. :) By the way the link is on that page in one of the sub-categorys (At the bottom of Usage category :)).

NanoGator
09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Man, I must be dense. Where's the downoad link for CameraMan?

http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/CameraMan/Files/CameraMan_1_0.zip

cresshead
09-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Flying in google earth, great, especially for the price. Navigating around a program, OK.

But did anybody actually look at the 3ds max video? It looked frustratingly awkward and inaccurate. Does someone here actually need to randomly spin a cube? Perhaps they should just get someone to make the video that has touched it before?

j.

using the space navigator with max is awesome:thumbsup:
feels very natural for modeling objects and animating cameras
and so cheap too for a pro bit of kit.

archijam
09-21-2007, 06:05 AM
Cresshead - Good to hear .. that video must have just been garbage...

I agree it's very cheap if it does what it promises ...

j.

archijam
09-21-2007, 06:12 AM
Edit limit.

What's the difference between the personal and pro editions? You can upgrade for $40 .. so I guess it's a software difference?

Edit: No .. seems it's edu/prof difference .. haven't heard of that for hardware before ..

Also noticed a pricing glitch .. you can buy the personal, upgrade to the pro and save 10 euros (which is a lot on a 90 euro product) ;)

j.

cresshead
09-21-2007, 06:55 AM
no difference in useage...the difference is in support level of your hardware/software to the developers.

Wickster
09-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Probably not as good as 3DConexion's devices but Sandio offeres a 3DMouse where the SDK is readily available for some of you to play with.

Product page:
http://www.sandiotech.com/sandio_product.php

SDK:
http://www.sandiotech.com/view_file.php?CATEGORY=SDK

SP00
09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
would it be easier to just use a trackball and a mouse combo?

iconoclasty
09-21-2007, 03:44 PM
a 3d controller (like navigator mentioned) gives you 3 axis of translation and 3 of rotation, without any other button modifiers. This makes it considerably more functional than a two dimensional input device.

SP00
09-21-2007, 04:09 PM
how about hand guestures?

http://binarybonsai.com/archives/2006/11/11/webcam-hand-gesture-ui/

Tech might not be there just yet.

Wolfgang Mildne
09-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Newtek's working on a lot of stuff at the moment. And although it would be nice, I don't think this one is on their priority list.

just by the way - what is "priority" if not applied on work flow improvement :help: . Maya, 3DMax, Cinema4D and - hey - Blender has got it.

This tool is no gadget - its a critical improvement for 3D navigation.

best regards
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Mildne
09-23-2007, 01:53 PM
after some research I found the following plug-in at "TM Production".

http://www.tmproductions.com/ProductsBin/Spaceball_x86.zip

It's somewhat forgotten (issue date about 2002) and for LW 7.5 Layout only, but it works in 9.3. Would be great to have something similar in modeler too.

Best regards
Wolfgang

metallo
09-25-2007, 12:46 PM
yes, support for such controllers would vastly improve workflow. once the support is there, i'll buy one. newtek needs a video on youtube showing a user modeling with one of these, it will help sales of both.

SP00
09-25-2007, 02:45 PM
You guys got to submit your request with the new system, the more multiple submission, the more Newtek will listen.

LW-Features (at) newtek (dot) com

I think they are doing the funny e-mail to protect them from spam.

Wolfgang Mildne
09-27-2007, 02:48 AM
Just a short impression of experience.

After having this device for about a week it has become my standard "left-hand-tool". I tried it with another modelling package - very easy and natural like handling of models and modelling tools inside virtual space.

I think - LW support is a "must-have". Please consider this for next updates.

35mm
04-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Why did this thread end - has there been a resolution? I'm new to Lightwave, but not new to 3D Connexion 3D mice. I've been using a space explorer for quite a while, and 99% of my 3D applications support it. They all support it, because it's very easy for software developers to implement in an update, and adds an indispensable, professional feature. Once you've worked with it, it's almost impossible to imagine working with out it!

Bog
04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I've just picked up a Novint Falcon, and will be Bending Intellect upon LW to see if I can get 'em talking.

That would be nifty.

kfinla
03-06-2009, 02:22 PM
AFAIK LW still doesn't support space navigator.. but id like to see it also.

LightWuv
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Me too.

archijam
03-07-2009, 07:38 PM
LaLaLa +1

WhiteBoy
03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Count me in.

I have a Space Pilot sitting here collecting dust...

Nowhere Man
03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Me too...

antsj
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
I third or fourth this discussion or request. :agree:

I will continue to add my vote on every thread that I see about support for 3d Connecxion devices.

AJ

walfridson
03-09-2009, 04:04 AM
Anyone tried the spaceball plugin?
http://www.tmproductions.com/FrameSets/FS-Products.html

Soth
03-09-2009, 04:56 AM
after some research I found the following plug-in at "TM Production".

http://www.tmproductions.com/ProductsBin/Spaceball_x86.zip

It's somewhat forgotten (issue date about 2002) and for LW 7.5 Layout only, but it works in 9.3. Would be great to have something similar in modeler too.

Best regards
Wolfgang.

archijam
03-09-2009, 05:57 AM

It's also PC only .. AFAIK

walfridson
03-09-2009, 06:19 AM

Yes but how well does it function in layout.

Paul_Boland
03-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Adding my vote for support for the SpaceBall!!
:i_agree:

mjcrawford
04-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Adding my vote for support for the SpaceBall!!
:i_agree:

I have used the Navagator in Maya and I could not belive how great it works, I would join HardCORE today if NT offered support!

Ckeri
04-18-2009, 12:43 AM
What is the workflow with these spaceballs? Do you use keyboard shortcuts with these devices? How does that work?

I know there are programmable buttons in these devices also, but are there enough? It just doesn't sound too ergonomic if you need to move your hand off from spaceball every time you need keyboard shortcut? Or do you actually use mouse to select tools and etc.

geothefaust
04-18-2009, 02:07 AM
I have used the Navagator in Maya and I could not belive how great it works, I would join HardCORE today if NT offered support!

Jay Roth has already said that it will definitely support 3D Connexion space mouse, and other input solutions. :thumbsup:

Carm3D
04-20-2009, 02:18 AM
I also have a SpaceNavigator collecting dust.. Would like to use it in Lightwave.

kolby
04-20-2009, 02:40 AM

Yes, I`m working with him.

kite
12-16-2009, 05:07 AM
And me too!

3dconnexion have a great gadget here, using it all the time with Solidworks and MiO 3D, cant work without it anymore. It's a must have.
Using the heavier SpaceNavigator for my portable needs too, but will get the lighter one for next year (SpaceNavigator for Notebooks).

Soth
12-16-2009, 05:31 AM
They will but in the CORE only. As stated on CORE pdf.