PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.2 running like a turtle on iMac

Flavio_63
07-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Hello guys
this is my first post on here. Here my problem:
I have LW running on both Mac and Pc but same scene rendering takes DOUBLE time on Mac. That's crazy as my Pc is an old notebook (Pentium 4 2,6 Ghz, 512 MB DDR-SDRAM, nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600 - 64 Mb) and my iMac is a new powerful one (Intel Core 2 Duo 2,16 GHz, 2 Gb DDR2-SDRAM, nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT - 256 Mb).
So what's wrong??? Anybody can help me?
Thanks in advance!

Flavio_63

Bytehawk
07-20-2007, 05:12 AM

Flavio_63
07-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks Bytehawk,
just can you explain me better? what is the UB version and where I can download to the open beta?

Bytehawk
07-20-2007, 07:31 AM
do a search for
"open beta universal binary"
in these forums

and you'll find more answers than I can type here

Flavio_63
07-20-2007, 07:37 AM
ok guy... thanks again ;)

BazC
07-21-2007, 02:02 AM
ok guy... thanks again ;)

The current Mac version of Lightwave is designed to run on the old ppc processors G4, G5 etc. To run on the new Intel Macs it has to run under Rosetta which is OSXs ppc emulator. Any application running under Rosetta will perform much slower than it should be capable of, half as fast or less!

A universal binary application is designed to run under ppc (old Macs) or Intel (new Macs) The Universal Binary version of Lightwave is currently being beta tested. As a registered user of LW9 you can get access to the UB beta by joining the beta programme. Just sign up in the registration section of newtek.com

Largemedium
07-21-2007, 04:23 AM
Just be aware that if you signup for the beta, you won't be allowed to talk about it in the general forums due to the NDA agreement. Don't count on getting into the beta forums either. I've been waiting a week and no one at Newtek is answering my email. This means that if you run into any anomalies, you're probably on your own.

Flavio_63
07-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Ok sorry... I've posted a silly question as I've just realized that LW 9.2 on Mac isn't Universal Binary yet. I don't know why but I thought it was optimized for Intel processors..... weird uh?
Anyway thanks to everybody for your replies.

ingo
07-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Ok sorry... I've posted a silly question as I've just realized that LW 9.2 on Mac isn't Universal Binary yet. I don't know why but I thought it was optimized for Intel processors..... weird uh?...

Pretty weird indeed. Since Apple suddenly switched - when was it last week - from PowerPC to Intel processors you can't expect that Newtek has already a universal binary ready ;)

archijam
07-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Desipte the beta-ness, I can confirm that the UB version is MUCH faster, at least for the simple scenes I've been reindering with full GI and AA ..

I'm not in a deadly rush to get into the forums, as I have not actually come across any bugs yet :) ..

j.

BazC
07-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Anyway thanks to everybody for your replies.

You're very welcome!

3dworks
07-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Pretty weird indeed. Since Apple suddenly switched - when was it last week - from PowerPC to Intel processors you can't expect that Newtek has already a universal binary ready ;)

:D

m.

LW_Will
07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
And to have all the bugs worked out... and incorporating all of the CORE subroutines off of the LW program and into the OS...

With limited resources? No, you can't. NO! You can't!!

;-)

Give them time...