PDA

View Full Version : More sound issues

Piper4873
07-19-2007, 10:04 PM
I am thoroughly confused at this point as which audio codec is best to capture with. I am capturing from a GL1 and XL1s via rca connectors and svhs. (I have never been able to capture with firewire and keep the audio and video in sync). The sound is excellent on the monitor as I capture, but when I play back during editing it is terribly distorted. I am sitting here with a cd playing on the computer through the VT card and the sound is excellent. I also fed the sound from the tape via camera through the monitor and no distortion whatsoever. However, when I playback the same video/audio on the VT4 it sounds like it is terribly overdriven. So,,,,, I don't think I have a hardware problem or cable problem as the cd is running through the same cable setup.

I thought I might have captured wrong. I checked the setup and was capturing DV Type 1 which uses dv compressed audio. The audio level is showing -12 db. hummmm maybe the -12 db has something to do with it.

Your thoughts please. And thanks for being there to help.

wvp
07-20-2007, 07:19 AM
There are like three audio levels - the input channel, a sub mix of all the channels, and the master output. make sure all 3 are set correctly.

Better yet is to use firewire. I know you said you can't keep the audio in sync. Did you set the DV capture type in pref to DV type 1? I don't have issues if type 1 is used.

Better still - use WinDV, go to http://windv.mourek.cz/ and use this program to transfer your footage via firewire (type2!). Attached is a word doc I created explaining the fields - no need to use use the creators web site.

creach
07-25-2007, 01:31 PM
...The audio level is showing -12 db. hummmm maybe the -12 db has something to do with it.

I don't think the low level has much to do with it, myself. If I'm capturing stuff with tones and bars on it I typically set the bars to -10 *to begin* and tweak from there. (In today's world, I see a lot of stuff that buries the needle at +25 over 0vu.) The VT will appear to ingest stuff hot, but you will quickly run out of headroom...somehow. I don't know how.

Just as an fyi, I have very few level problems. I try to not allow my levels to stray past +3 going into or out of VT.

(I also know that if I'm capturing more than one or two clips with audio, that I need to ingest them all at once. Somehow - even setting up both capture sessions identically - I end up with different captured audio levels.)

Good luck
Dan