PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to open multiple instances of LW layouter?

marcus staffel
07-19-2007, 02:17 PM
As I have a four core PC I'd like to have 4 instances of LW9.2 open, because networkrendering is too slow. Jobs are much faster finished in network-rendering than the task-sheduler can transfer jobs to the rendering-nodes.

In LW layouter it's rendering every 2 seconds a picture and systemload is about 30%.

Regards
Marcus

Surrealist.
07-19-2007, 02:46 PM
You can set the number of threads to 4 and that will access all CPUs on your MoBo. Don't know how much faster it would get on that render time though.

iconoclasty
07-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Not saying it's a solution to your problem, but yes, you can have multiple instances of layout running at once.

marcus staffel
07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I already set the number of threads to 4 or 8, but that does not really demand the cores. I think 4 layouter should be better because the layouter just starts the next rendering without loading environment everytime new. It's much more performant than the filebased networkrender.

For some jobs it's useless to invoke 4 threads. Taskmanager tells me 30% CPU.

In my case I have 20 hypervoxels produced by an emitter with diffrent weights emitted in one frame with 500 parts per frame. Like waterdrops in some distance. The camera follows that big drop devorcing into many little drops falling down into a sea.

As I still animate the drops without the sea, it's really fast rendering. But for 500 pics (highspeed replay) it's a period of time to wait rendering over screamernet.

It seems, that one Layouter is faster than 2 -3 screamernet nodes because of overhead.

Lightwolf
07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Which camera are you using? Don't use Classic (but Perspective instead) unless you really have to.
The new cameras use your cores much more effectively.

Cheers,
Mike

marcus staffel
07-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your opinions, I'll try to open some instances and share the job 1-125 instance 1, 126-250 instance 2, ...

marcus staffel
07-19-2007, 03:32 PM
As I am just newbie, I don't know the advantages of other camera types. I have to check next. So long I used classic.

Lightwolf
07-19-2007, 03:44 PM
As I am just newbie, I don't know the advantages of other camera types. I have to check next. So long I used classic.
That explains a lot, Classic is very bad when multi-threading.
the only reason to still use it is if you need 1 or 2 point polygons, polygon edges or if you have certain, extremely rare, scenes that render faster using Classic.

Cheers,
Mike

SplineGod
07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
You can run multiple instances of screamnernet in mode -3 on your machine.
DStorm has a plugin called LWSN controller here:
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/

marcus staffel
07-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Hm, if the HVs are small and far away Classig cam is fastest. If it's getting bigger, perspective cam is better for my renderings. So something I have learned is to check first what cam to use by a test-rendering.

Tom Wood
07-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I have small scenes/objects so the network overhead is relatively high for my dual Xeon setup, which when -hyper-threaded in the BIOS presents four render nodes to Screamernet (SN). In LightWave (LW) I always set the -multi-threading to 1 because setting it higher gave longer render times, for me. Not sure about the newer processors/cameras though.

Yes, the render time -per node- is longer and there is more network overhead, but it still turned out quicker to use one instance of LW with SN rather than multiple instances of LW. Each CPU node goes to 100% utilization during actual rendering, which helps offset the overhead. And, it's just easier to load an entire scene into SN. Run some tests and see what works out best for your setup.

Surrealist.
07-20-2007, 03:54 PM
If you are using multiple instances of SN or LW for that matter, how would the application know how to distribute the tasks to the separate cores?

SplineGod
07-20-2007, 05:35 PM
You can set the affinity in the task manager

marcus staffel
07-21-2007, 03:35 AM
I used LW Layouter four times with 1 thread each instance. That worked fine. And there isn't any loading time as the scene is all the time in memory for all renderings. I work with 4GB RAM under XP64 with 2xOpteron270.
That distributes almost 100% shedule time to the rendering if in classic mode. For my scene perspective cam is able to use 100% processing time over 4 threads, but it renders slower. Classic 3 sec/frame. Perspective 35 sec/frame. But it really depends on the scene you want to render.