PDA

View Full Version : Nightwatch trilogy

Mr Rid
07-19-2007, 02:09 AM
Just had to make sure everyone is aware of these little FX extravaganzas that were done for only $4 mil each. I like anything that isnt the usual formula and would much rather sit thru a flawed but interestingly different movie (Immortel, Rennaisance, Scanner Darkly, Casshern) than bloated formula glop like, oh, 99% of American studio movies (Transfarmers, Pirates of my Wallet, Spiderboob...zzzz). But the point is that the production value here is remarkable for the budget.

Unfortunately the HD trailers were removed from Apple.
Daywatch
http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=879&item=0
BTW, the vehicle tearing up the side of a building was done here before Ghostrider.

Nightwatch
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/night_watch/

Duskwatch is suuposedly in production with American studio backing this time around.

archijam
07-19-2007, 03:10 AM
They were indeed amazing.

You could taste the dirt - only a few films like seven and city of lost children have managed that with their design and effects. In the hands of Hollywood even often dirt ends up looking chic.

The flawed-bum-hero character was reminicient of Unbreakable a little.. tho these books came first obviously.

Loved both films. The blood box-drink of the boy was disgustingly good.

Anyone have an idea what software was used?

j.

Sarford
07-19-2007, 03:40 AM
I loved Nightwatch, european films are less polished, more grittier in most cases, wich I love. I'll wait for Daywatch to be released on dvd before watching it. I have my own home theater with beamer and all, and a screen of 2,5 meters wide, so no reason to go to the cinema's.

I also like the american FX movies though, I watched DOOM last weekend, that was quite a treat, especialy couse I liked the game.

mattclary
07-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Looks cool! I just added NightWatch to my Netflix queue.

Roger Ebert's review of NightWatch is actually kind of amusing...

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060223/REVIEWS/60222002/1023

Mr Rid
07-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Ok, am about to reveal the best kept secret on the web.
http://www.marketworks.com/storefrontprofiles/default.aspx?sfid=57964
Day Watch is available for $4 (among other hard-to-finds).

Roger Ebert's review of NightWatch is actually kind of amusing...

He mentions the delightful subtitles I saw in the theatrical version (is not on the dvd unfortunately) that respond to each moment in the film-
"The subtitles for the movie rise to the occasion, literally. They do not simply materialize at the bottom of the screen, but unspool dynamically, dance across the picture, evaporate, explode, quiver and seem possessed.

archijam
07-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Nice find. But how weird is the russian cover?

http://www.sundevildvd.com/store/files/t_17432.jpg

If I had to guess, I would say it's about a guy that is terrified his ear may fall off at any moment...

j.

Mr Rid
07-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Check the wacked ads-
http://content.foxsearchlight.com/videos/node/1834

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/videos/node/1862

sammael
07-19-2007, 07:34 AM
I liked the first one although I found it hard to follow, I was a bit distracted at the time though from memory. Ill hire it again before watching the Daywatch, I too liked the effects and some of the more unique (or at least less typical) ideas behind them.

sammael
07-19-2007, 07:57 AM
I have not seen either Rennaisance or casshern, ill have to check those out. I did enjoy scanner though, some others I would recommend which I would consider along similar lines are Vidocq, ezistenz, Naked Lunch, the devils backbone, pans labyrinth, the host, the green butchers and delicatessen to name a few from memory although some of these are somewhat darker and not nescesarily along the lines of scifi/fantasy.

I generally get a bit more enjoyment out of some of these more obscure movies than the usual american formula blockbuster stuff.
I would be keen to hear anyones reccomendations along similar lines, I have a bit of a hard time going to the video shop these days trying to pick a decent film that I have not seen.

archijam
07-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Check the wacked ads-
Eek.

Why does hollywood treat American audiences like babies? Do they think they are alergic to subtitles or something?

j.

mattclary
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Eek.

Why does hollywood treat American audiences like babies? Do they think they are alergic to subtitles or something?

j.

I prefer not to have to read while watching a movie, especially if it is action heavy. If I want to read, I'll read a book. If the movie is light on action, subtitles don't bother me as much. I really like "The Red Violin" and it was heavy on subtitles.

bluerider
07-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Marcel Carné, John Paul Couteau, Ingmar Bergman, watching their work is always a treat. The pacing would be regarded as to slow by todays standards but i still like their work regardless.

One big difference between European Film directors and Hollywood is the different treatment of actors. Actors in European Cinema are directed to do their roles. Hollywood actors ( stars ) sometimes dictate how their character fairs in the script.

Personally I love it when the big star of the film gets the chop early on, such as "Children of Men", my favorite film of last year.

oDDity
07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
I prefer when there are no 'big stars'. 'Big stars' have no attraction for me, I don't care who's in it, as long as they can act and it's a good movie.

sammael
07-19-2007, 09:29 AM
I would prefer subtitles to over dubbed, nothing sh!ts me more than that. You tend not to notice the subtitles if its a decent film and I think the language helps to convey the mood better although sometimes the translation seems somewhat lacking but that is only emphasised more if its dubbed.

mattclary
07-19-2007, 09:35 AM
I prefer when there are no 'big stars'. 'Big stars' have no attraction for me, I don't care who's in it, as long as they can act and it's a good movie.

Agreed 100%

mattclary
07-19-2007, 09:35 AM
I would prefer subtitles to over dubbed, nothing sh!ts me more than that. You tend not to notice the subtitles if its a decent film and I think the language helps to convey the mood better although sometimes the translation seems somewhat lacking but that is only emphasised more if its dubbed.

Yeah, well there is that. I think I would rather read subtitles that a sh*tty dub.

-EsHrA-
07-19-2007, 10:09 AM
im sick of 'big stars'

:)

loved, night- and daywatch!
had the look and feel of allot of canal+ productions which are excellent.

mlon

Iain
07-19-2007, 10:36 AM
I rate French and Italian cinema much higher than US or British. There's a lot of good stuff coming from the far east too.
The British industry blames it's low quantity and quality of output on lack of finance but a lot of the best French films have (relatively speaking) very little budget and instead rely on talent and atmospheric directing.
When Hollywood tries that, it just ends up being dull (see Syriana.)

I won't be going to see Transformers because it just looks dire. I dodged Spiderman 3 for the same reason. These expensive, over-produced piles of crap are what the kids want I suppose.

bluerider
07-19-2007, 10:59 AM
im sick of 'big stars'

:)

loved, night- and daywatch!
had the look and feel of allot of canal+ productions which are excellent.

mlon

The Sun a pretty big star, I quite like it from a safe distance. A bit of an eyesore though.

oDDity
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
It doesn't demand 50 mill to appear in The Sky though.

bluerider
07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
I assume thats 50 million greedy dollars?

oDDity
07-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I guess the sun would prefer 50 million gallons of hydrogen.

bluerider
07-19-2007, 01:09 PM
your right.

oDDity
07-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Although, it would only last it about a second, which shows how cheap it works compared to the likes of Tom 'I believe people are inhabited by the souls of aliens' Cruise.

Mr Rid
07-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I prefer not to have to read while watching a movie, especially if it is action heavy. If I want to read, I'll read a book. If the movie is light on action, subtitles don't bother me as much. I really like "The Red Violin" and it was heavy on subtitles.

Problem is that all dubbing is poorly done, and always ruins performances. Any subtitled version of a movie seems like a better film than when you endure the wacky dubbed version.

archijam
07-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Welcome to France and Germany!

It is always special to be with a German when they finally hear the real voice of, for example, Brad Pitt. Freaks them out.

The voice-over guys are usually always the same for each actor and mini-celebrities in their own right ...

Switzerland has 4 languages already, so luckily they usualy just subtitle. Makes problems with foreign films: I went though the original Solaris wondering why they kept talking about a warhead (warheit - truth) .. :p Drop it already! :D

j.

Stooch
07-19-2007, 04:44 PM
im proud of what my comrades are doing and would be honored to work on those :)

Just had to make sure everyone is aware of these little FX extravaganzas that were done for only $4 mil each. I like anything that isnt the usual formula and would much rather sit thru a flawed but interestingly different movie (Immortel, Rennaisance, Scanner Darkly, Casshern) than bloated formula glop like, oh, 99% of American studio movies (Transfarmers, Pirates of my Wallet, Spiderboob...zzzz). But the point is that the production value here is remarkable for the budget.

Unfortunately the HD trailers were removed from Apple.
Daywatch
http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=879&item=0
BTW, the vehicle tearing up the side of a building was done here before Ghostrider.

Nightwatch
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/night_watch/

Duskwatch is suuposedly in production with American studio backing this time around.

Mr Rid
07-19-2007, 08:13 PM
im proud of what my comrades are doing and would be honored to work on those :)

I am, and would too.

I would much rather work for even minimal pay to contribute to a more passionate idependent endeavor over these big dumb overblown formula studio movies.

oDDity
07-20-2007, 01:48 AM
I couldn't even finish watching the first one.
Bad directing (everything is a closeup, and builds no tension or expectation at all), bad writing (which comes from having such a ludicrous plot and having to constantly explain the entire premise of what's going on, which was done in a hamfisted way, having totally unrealistic plot-explaining dialogue between the characters) A lot of scenes are totally contrived and rely on coincidences, the acting seemed mostly amateur as well, though it's harder to tell when it's in a foreign language.
It looked like they thought up some cool effects ideas and action sequences and then threw a plot around them.
This is no better than many hollywood movies, it just looked a bit cheaper.

Is Nightwatch any better? I don't want to have to waste a further 30 minutes watching the start of that one as well.

Stooch
07-20-2007, 02:36 AM
I couldn't even finish watching the first one.
Bad directing (everything is a closeup, and builds no tension or expectation at all), bad writing (which comes from having such a ludicrous plot and having to constantly explain the entire premise of what's going on, which was done in a hamfisted way, having totally unrealistic plot-explaining dialogue between the characters) A lot of scenes are totally contrived and rely on coincidences, the acting seemed mostly amateur as well, though it's harder to tell when it's in a foreign language.
It looked like they thought up some cool effects ideas and action sequences and then threw a plot around them.
This is no better than many hollywood movies, it just looked a bit cheaper.

Is Nightwatch any better? I don't want to have to waste a further 30 minutes watching the start of that one as well.
blah blah blah. and whats your ideal movie odd? a bunch of marble statues buggering each other?

oDDity
07-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Pretty much any movie that isn't just a string of arbitrary fx sequences thrown together would be better.

Mr Rid
07-20-2007, 04:10 AM

Er, Nightwatch is the first one. But dont worry, am pretty sure you wont appreciate which ever one you haven't seen yet either. So just watch it for the nifty FX. Yes, reactions tend to be split right down the middle. I do not find myself engaged on much of an emotional level by these movies, but as one reviewer said, "Dazzles and confuses with equal determination" is exactly what I like about them.

I appreciate the overall satirical tone- "The Chalkstick of Destiny!" They avoid the common mistake of so many fantasy films by not taking themselves too damm seriously. Am bored with being handfed formula plots and dont need for it to all make sense. The 'Others' seem to operate outside of traditional ideas of morality. Humans may catch glimpses of these titans in historical conflict which may inspire the distorted legends/religions of 'angels' vs 'demons'. But the morals are grey as the deeply flawed protagonists (the hero tried to kill his unborn son) confront antagonists that appear equally justified. You have no idea what will happen next. In Hollywood movies, I know the the whole plot before I even walk into the theater. And if nothing else, the FX design is just so innovative and fun to watch.

Lightwolf
07-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Problem is that all dubbing is poorly done, and always ruins performances.
How do you know? I mean, yes, dubs to English usually suck badly, that doesn't mean that dubs to other languages from English are as bad though. Since everything (well, 99.9%) is dubbed over here you have a great pool of experienced voice talent. And in certain instances the dub is better than the original as well.

Cheers,
Mike

BeeVee
07-20-2007, 06:38 AM
For a film that absolutely must be seen with subtitles rather than dubbed, watch Dîner de cons in the original French. The dubbing is absolutely appalling and renders the film into a humourless pile of twaddle (when it's actually very, very funny).

B

Iain
07-20-2007, 07:06 AM
I thought Nightwatch was just kind of a poor man's version of Hollywood style horror-maybe I missed the point. Although saying that, Hollwood's horror is currently it's worst genre (Remakes, Japanese remakes, Hostel, etc.) so maybe it wasn't that bad.
Speaking as a film fan, I'm saddened that the US industry is currently in such an uninspired state.

The only recent Hollwood film I can think of that has the qualities of continental cinema is Little Miss Sunshine.
No hype, no megastars, no CGI, no sentimentality, just high quality script, acting and directing. Best film I've seen in ages actually.

mattclary
07-20-2007, 07:55 AM
I thought Nightwatch was just kind of a poor man's version of Hollywood style horror-maybe I missed the point. Although saying that, Hollwood's horror is currently it's worst genre (Remakes, Japanese remakes, Hostel, etc.) so maybe it wasn't that bad.
Speaking as a film fan, I'm saddened that the US industry is currently in such an uninspired state.

Horror is one of those things that I think is just hard to get right. What frightens one, will make another laugh. My wife is frightened by movies like "Darkness Falls". She is frightened by demons on boogie-men. I ma frightened by realistic boogie men like Hannibal Lecter. We were watching "Jeepers Creepers", and at first it looked like a serial killer was at work, I was getting a little freaked out, then it turns out to be some kind of demon, I was no longer bothered, but she freaks out...

I do admit that I deeply enjoy and am a little afraid of the subtle horror movies. I loved "Sixth Sense" and "The Others". A recent watch was "An American Haunting". One of my all time favorites is an old one with George C. Scott titled, "The Changeling".

There is one scene in the Changeling where a ball that belonged to George's dead daughter comes bouncing down the stairs. He gets in his car, drives to a bridge and chucks the ball in the river. He returns home only to be greeted by the dripping ball bouncing down the stairs at his feet! I was about 13 when I first saw that, freaked me the F out!

Stooch
07-20-2007, 12:31 PM
event horizon had some disturbing ambiance to it. just a sense of wrongness that you cant put your finger on. i like horror that plays on your imagination.

sammael
07-20-2007, 12:37 PM
The only recent Hollwood film I can think of that has the qualities of continental cinema is Little Miss Sunshine.
No hype, no megastars, no CGI, no sentimentality, just high quality script, acting and directing. Best film I've seen in ages actually.

I liked that as well, one of the few realy good films to come out recently imo.

As far as horror films one that I saw recently freaked me out a bit, im not usually frightened by horror films but the combination of Claustrophobia and realistic believable creatures in 'The Decent' did my head in.
It started out as sort of typical hollywood drivel but turned out to be quite freaky. Not much storyline or anything but at least it had the desired effect, for me anyway.

sammael
07-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Did anyone see 'Altered'? I liked that as well but most people I spoke to hated it. It was a bit of a clasic for me I liked their take on the typical alien and the sort of TIC factor.

dballesg
07-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi,

Yes I saw Altered recently, sadly a really good history that could be better if they left aside the gore parts.

About "The Others" the director Alejandro Amenabar is spanish, and I can recommed his first movie "Tesis" (remaked by Hollywood on the film "8mm" with Nicolas Cage) really intriguing film. As well as the original "Open your Eyes" remaked by Tom Cruise in "Vanilla Sky".

Best regards,
David

archijam
07-20-2007, 01:54 PM
http://is.blick.ch/img/gen/M/L/HBMLANjb_Pxgen_r_271x400.jpg

Tom may need some special effects to get him through this one...

.. he's cast as a man (von Stauffenberg) trying to assasinate Hitler?

j.

Mr Rid
07-20-2007, 02:05 PM
How do you know? I mean, yes, dubs to English usually suck badly, that doesn't mean that dubs to other languages from English are as bad though. Since everything (well, 99.9%) is dubbed over here you have a great pool of experienced voice talent. And in certain instances the dub is better than the original as well.

My Bulgarian wife, our friends from Russia, France, Poland, and Korea all complain of how dubbing ruins movies. Even English dubs over English speaking movies are weird (when they are shot MOS).

I have not seen it since the 80s but the only good English dubbing I recall was Das Boot. I remember hearing how they used much of the original German cast to perform their lines in English and took the time to make the dubbing blend more naturally to maximize the U.S. box office response. But I would always prefer to hear the original voice performances of the actors.

And then there is something desirably strange about the English dubbing of '60s Italian movies in particular- am not sure why that is, but it only adds to the surrealness of Fellini and others. The cheap dubbing is somehow part of the appeal of the spaghetti westerns I grew up with on late night TV. The dubbing in shlocky kung-fu movies also only adds to the hilarity. And I prefered the slightly more barritone, macho dubbed version of Mad Max that friends and I quoted lines from for years before ever hearing their original more teenage sounding voices.

Stooch
07-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Any recommendations on recent scary movies for intelligent people? :hey:

lol scary movie 1 - 4.

jk.

i havent really seen stuff like that lately. lately its zombies/virus infected etc. 380 days later or something like that, came out pretty recently, my coworkers saw it and liked it. they are intelligent so its probably a good bet. im just not big on zombies.

the movies like saw, etc. dont really do much for me. my brother said it was scary but i think he is mistaking disturbing gore with terror. i think its too easy to make something scary with shock footage alone. Im all about suspense, sound design and timing. a nice believable concept goes a long way too.

DogBoy
07-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Last movie I saw that really freaked me was "A Tale of Two Sisters", a Korean psychological thriller/horror. very little gore, but very strong on unsettling atmosphere 8~ .

I'm with the anti-dubbing folks here. I'd much rather watch in the original language, even animation, as it "grounds" the film better.

I liked NightWatch, it was a cleverer Constantine. It may not have been the most intelligent movie, but for bubblegum action/horror it is pretty inventive.