1. 3 or more chroma keyer
2. 3 or more DSK
3. News Ticker with real time data feeder
4. 64 bit operating system support

how about you guys ?
what do you want ??

SBowie
07-19-2007, 06:28 AM
I'll say it -- interpolated slomo ... :)

Tarheel Cougar
07-19-2007, 08:25 AM
This is by no means ALL I want, but I would like to see:
- Live DVE's with sound
- Easier to create custom logo DVE's
- Better PIP's or better support of Bob's 3rd Channel (goes along with multiple DSK's)
- An RS-16(?) controller
- Live CG improvements/stability
- Support playback of more formats in DDR
- Fix hot punching on program bus by software delay or something
The virtual sets will be nice, but I bet we'll never use them other than to play with...maybe once.

creach
07-19-2007, 08:42 AM
How about a *vastly* improved CG. :)

Dan

PIZAZZ
07-19-2007, 11:16 AM
This is by no means ALL I want, but I would like to see:
- Live DVE's with sound

you can do that now with a little finesse. I can send you an example that I posted on the boards here a while back of how you can do it.

- Easier to create custom logo DVE's

I agree here. 3D Arsenal can assist you on this front. Then you can do what I refered to above with the items created.

- Better PIP's or better support of Bob's 3rd Channel (goes along with multiple DSK's)
Just wait till you see what VT5 has in store for you. :) I believe you will be very pleased.

- An RS-16(?) controller

Done. I have a 16 channel and a 24 channel design. I am currently working on a new one that will make it easier to use all the features coming in VT5. ie. Virtual Sets manipulation especially

- Live CG improvements/stability

Not sure what else you are looking for here. Do you mean a CG program with the features like Kris's skins for the current CG?? or more features for the Title Overlay module??

- Support playback of more formats in DDR

done. and done some more. just wait and see.

- Fix hot punching on program bus by software delay or something
The virtual sets will be nice, but I bet we'll never use them other than to play with...maybe once.

I believe once you have the virtual set technology then you will all kinds of ways to use them. One of our latest clients that we are building out a Trailer for is going to do a Chromatte setup in the cargo area of the trailer. He will put his talent in there during some of the broadcasts. Maybe even leave one person there all the time. There are lots of uses of Virtual Sets once you start thinking about it. There are other uses of the VS technology that will be much more evident once VT5 is out.

Tarheel Cougar
07-19-2007, 12:08 PM
What I would ideally like is DVE's with sound that paired to a single DVE croutons (like, gasp, the Toaster 2000). It has to be easy to use and not finessed too much because we have students running the show. (When I say DVE, I mean live switcher DVE's, not post. We do not use our VT for post.)

My understanding was that 3D Arsenal wasn't really for creating DVE's just animations, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would love to have Kris' plugins or something similar to them native to the CG. But what I'm referring to in improvements is ease of use, and just solving stability, memory leaks, random errors/crashes we have related to the CG in heavy use (not just changing templates). Not a big deal since we use a downstream CG.

Your extra input box is an interesting solution.

I know a lot of the PIP options, file formats and DSKs have been thrown around, and some are in TC Studio. But until I see some Newtek pics and specs for VT5, it didn't happen!

Just wait till you see what VT5 has in store for you. :)
We've been waiting since the preorder, and have one new and another virtually unused seat of Speededit to show for it!

SteelPicR
07-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Track mattes please...

Jim_C
07-19-2007, 01:45 PM
All I want is for it to arrive.

well... a proper working avi wrapper or vtp loader is first on a real list

Rich Deustachio
07-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Arrival would be a good thing, oh and also a slice of blueberry pie.

delirious
08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I would love to have the audio on separate tracks so that multiple filters can be applied to one audio track without effecting the others. It is also be nice to have audio controls directly on the track (as opposed to pop-up windows, etc) Audio is at least half of any finished video package so why so little attention to it in VT & SE? With so many other NLEs out on the market that do both audio and video editing (check out Vegas' audio interfaces) this seems like a Must Have feature to stay in the game!

billmi
08-10-2007, 06:52 AM
I would love to have the audio on separate tracks so that multiple filters can be applied to one audio track without effecting the others.

You can already do that now, it's just a different method to achieve it, because VTEdit is not track based. If you substitute a sub-project for a track, the audio affect will only apply to the clips in within the sub-project.

tfrank
08-10-2007, 09:12 AM
how about you guys ?
what do you want ??
Well since you asked, I would like some of the features that folks have asked about for many years finally deveoped. My favorite being the ability to add efx between overlays. Although billmi is correct in that VTedit is not track based, please develop a way to ingest multiple audio channels at the same time. This is important for news editing where we have nat sound on one channel and narration on the other. From my side of the keyboard, the execution of the idea seems so simple.:D I also want a piece of Rich's Blueberry Pie, warm with vanilla ice cream on top.

ScorpioProd
08-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I notice a lot of you are asking about EDITING features, not LIVE features of VT[5]... I'm not sure why you're bothering. Dr. Andrew Cross has already stated that the editor in VT[5] IS SpeedEDIT 1.2. So if you don't see the feature in SpeedEDIT 1.2, you are NOT going to see the feature in VT[5].

As for subprojects used to lock stuff to audio... IF subprojects showed an audio waveform, that could be a useable solution, but they don't. :thumbsdow

Have any of you tried subprojects in Vegas 7? When you put a subproject in Vegas 7 into a project, you get a "virtual clip" that looks like a clip, acts like a clip, and gives you FULL control like a clip, with video and an audio waveform! Now IF SpeedEDIT subprojects could do all that, THEN subprojects would be a useful way to lock filters to clips or even lock clips together.

tfrank
08-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Personally, I never bought VT2 through 4.6 for live capabilities...but I did for the breakout box, it's user interface for quick efficient editing, and it's real time timeline. I have many non-editor editors (news people) that I want to put on the system. The issue of true individual audio tracks is very important. Our systems are used in the post enviroment, and anything that I can do to drum up or support the idea of making that process more user friendly for the "un-Professional" , quicker, while maintaining great quality, well....I'll continue bang the drum or bang my head against the wall. Is that pie ready yet?:thumbsup:

wvp
08-11-2007, 06:58 AM
As for subprojects used to lock stuff to audio... IF subprojects showed an audio waveform, that could be a useable solution, but they don't. :thumbsdow
What if subprojects could appear on a timeline grayed out? What I mean is what if you could see the entire contents, but greyed? This would help resolve the issue of seeing waveforms. Of course they still need to make the subproject act like a regular clip and there might be an issue with when you trim a sub, but inside the sub everything is still there.
just a thought.

ScorpioProd
08-11-2007, 10:15 AM
What if subprojects could appear on a timeline grayed out? What I mean is what if you could see the entire contents, but greyed? This would help resolve the issue of seeing waveforms. Of course they still need to make the subproject act like a regular clip and there might be an issue with when you trim a sub, but inside the sub everything is still there.
just a thought.
Sure, that would be cool. But that sounds more like a definition of grouped clips than a subproject. :hey:

edmellnik
08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
My wants are all Editing and MORE HD HD HD.
MOre formats and more 16 X 9 capabilities. How about a
auto letterboxed out of the VT card so we can at least
see the 16 X 9 output.... or can we do that now?
I know that the bandwidth of the VT card is not capable
of doing full HD out so that limits VT5 but should work as well as SPeedEdit for outputting to firewire For HDV.

I am guessing a new VT board will be needed for true broadcast uncompressed HDcam and XDCAM.
Just wish we knew why it is taking so long to deliver.

...and my wife makes an incredible blue berry pie with blueberrys off our own tree.....delicious.

ScorpioProd
08-13-2007, 03:04 PM
My wants are all Editing and MORE HD HD HD.
MOre formats and more 16 X 9 capabilities. How about a
auto letterboxed out of the VT card so we can at least
see the 16 X 9 output.... or can we do that now?

No, we can't do that now. But many high end monitors can do this switch themselves.

I am guessing a new VT board will be needed for true broadcast uncompressed HDcam and XDCAM.

Well, XDCAM is a compressed format, so it doesn't need a card for that. There are a number of software-only NLEs that can handle it VERY well currently.

edmellnik
08-13-2007, 03:45 PM
No, we can't do that now. But many high end monitors can do this switch themselves.

Well, XDCAM is a compressed format, so it doesn't need a card for that. There are a number of software-only NLEs that can handle it VERY well currently.

Well let us hope VT5 will do it too.

ed

ScorpioProd
08-13-2007, 04:18 PM
No, Andrew said that SpeedEDIT 1.2 is the NLE in VT[5], so I am not expecting XDCAM support in VT[5].

I expect to be going XDCAM HD or EX by the end of this year, personally.

edmellnik
08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Same here. XD or HD cam by the end of the year.
SO I guess its FCP and Vegas which i have both of already.

I think Newtek is making a big mistake on all this live switching emphasis.... but for their sake I hope I am wrong and wish them a lot of luck. They have already lost the war in 3d.

ScorpioProd
08-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Well... Thing is, even though many people, including myself, bought into VT purely as editors... Newtek's forte has ALWAYS been live switching work.

SpeedEdit can do some things very well, and some things not very well. Newtek made a strategic choice in going with supporting Panasonic MXF this year and Sony MXF at some future time. Maybe that is the right thing to do for the market they are aiming for. Only time will tell.

I wish them luck as well.

prospector
08-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Newtek's forte has ALWAYS been live switching work.
Indeed

Studio in a box from day 1 on Amiga

Rich Deustachio
08-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Well the "Studio in a Box" on the Amiga was used mostly by editors who used it to live switch transitions from A to B source tape to tape. It was used instead of an MX50.

Now that NLEs are the main way people edit and not tape to tape we use VT4 instead of tape to tape.

In recent years the live switching market seems to have grown and is used by churches, live projection, and other video applications.

I purchased my VT2 with the breakout box for editing. I bought the breakout box so I could have many different types of source machines connected at one time so I didn't have to keep changing the cables around. I didn't buy it so I could use it for live switching.

prospector
08-15-2007, 03:47 PM
In recent years the live switching market seems to have grown and is used by churches, live projection, and other video applications.
Indeed, and VT5 will be there waiting for it. :thumbsup:

I didn't buy it so I could use it for live switching.
But you could if you decided to :dance:

and ya just can't stop history from coming back in the future :D

Jim Capillo
08-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I purchased my VT2 with the breakout box for editing. I bought the breakout box so I could have many different types of source machines connected at one time so I didn't have to keep changing the cables around. I didn't buy it so I could use it for live switching.

Same here, Rich...