PDA

View Full Version : How to: Prep a model for symmetry...

JeffrySG
07-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi all...

I have a model that is symmetrical across the X axis. I'm modeling a bunch of parts that have one side exactly on the the YZ plane.

What's the best way to mirror the objects so they become one solid object that I can continue modeling in symmetry mode?

I can just mirror them on the X axis but then I end up with two sides of faces that are on the ZY plane. What's the best way to get rid of those faces?

If I just try to delete them. I end up with all these edges. When I try to dissolve some of these faces at a time, LW crashes. Why in the world does LW crash on the easiest of edge dissolves??? How do I get rid of all of those faces/edges????

I want to delete them so I can mirror the object and then merge the two sides together so it becomes one object.

Is there a better way to do this considering I already have half of many of the parts modeled already???

Thanks for any assistance...
Jeff

jat
07-18-2007, 09:47 PM
post a screen grab on what your trying this on

Surrealist.
07-18-2007, 09:52 PM
The way I use symmetry mode is with this method:

First get Terry Ford's mirror plugins.

Delete Left
Delete Right
Mirror Right to Left
Morror Left to Right.

This will make the modeling process go much smoother and as you have to reset symmetry deleting half of the object is so much easier.

Then for both symmetry and the above tools, I make sure and always select the center points and set value to 0 on the X.

If you have parts with a polygon that lies on the ZY plane, delete that poly(s) first before you mirror.

JeffrySG
07-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks Richard...

After you mirror the object do you need to merge the two halfs to make them one solid object in some way? Whenever I try to use rounder across the mirrored seam I get an error, even on something that seems like it would be simple.

ps. I'm using the UB mac version so I don't think that Terry's plugins will work... although his UV lscripts are great!

JeffrySG
07-18-2007, 10:37 PM
ok, nevermind on the merge question...

I ended up finding a few stray points that didn't merge the first time around...
now rounder is working like a dream... or er... well... like it's supposed to anyway... ;)

thx again for the help!!

Sensei
07-19-2007, 02:20 AM
If you want to have real-time mirroring during your work, check out our Virtual Mirror http://virtualmirror.trueart.pl for 30 usd.. Here is video how it works with real object ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Vmirror.mov

Surrealist.
07-19-2007, 03:30 AM
ps. I'm using the UB mac version so I don't think that Terry's plugins will work... although his UV lscripts are great!

Right. OK.

Well, sounds like you got it sorted anyway.

richdj
07-19-2007, 03:35 AM
After you mirror the object do you need to merge the two halfs to make them one solid object in some way?

What I would do is select the half you want to delete, set value to 0 (this puts the points to 0), then delete it. Mirror. Then you should have a continuous model.

Rich

JeffrySG
07-19-2007, 09:48 AM
What I would do is select the half you want to delete, set value to 0 (this puts the points to 0), then delete it. Mirror. Then you should have a continuous model.

Rich
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing now... I've been setting all the verts to 0 along the way... I just forgot to delete that side before mirroring so I ended up with two sets of faces in the middle... and then I had to go back and delete them all... I'm all good now! lol :dance: