PDA

View Full Version : Objects

Brandonisrad
07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey guys, if I have an two objects on diffrent layers "eyes, head" how would I animate them in layout. I mean I have them each with there own bones, but when I use the bones like for instance the head, when I move the head the eyes don't move with it because there on a seperate layer. How would I put them on the same layer? :foreheads

evenflcw
07-18-2007, 10:28 PM
You can set an object to use the bones of another item. With that item selected, switch to Bone Edit Mode, open the Bone Properties panel and change the option at the top - "Use bones form Object" to whatever object you like (with bones).

I suppose you could use follower aswell but would take alot of time to set that up for a big hierarchy and it might not be as reliably depending on how advanced your rig will be.

I should also mention a third option. Place everything in the same layer and assign bones to the eyes via 100% weightmaps. This is what I would've done.

j__
07-18-2007, 10:52 PM
And the third option isn't incompatible with the first option either, you can have your character's eyes on another layer with weightmaps and Use bones from....

There is another option as well, which in the long run depending on exactly what you are doing, may or may not be as flexible or as useful, but you can make your eyes two separate objects parented to the head bone, or perhaps parented to a null first and then parent that to the head bone.

And I agree Brandon, with you what you posted: Dream Big, that's a nice message.

SplineGod
07-19-2007, 12:11 AM
A very simple thing to do is put each eye in its own layer and then parent them to the head bone in your character.

Brandonisrad
07-19-2007, 01:56 AM
Thanks guys. And splinegod, yeah I was thinking of parenting them it was just looking really ugly and not to mention that I don't even know how to parent correctly. The eyes wouldn't parent with the head for some odd ODD reason.

And Thanks very much "j"

SplineGod
07-19-2007, 03:19 AM
After putting each eye in its own layer set their pivot points to the center of each sphere. Save the object(s) and load into layout. Place them in the proper spot, make sure Parent in place is ON. Then parent each eye to the Head bone. Its pretty simple and you dont need extra bones or weight maps.

lesterfoster
07-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Can someone help me with this?

I have made some surfaces for the eyes. But there not showing. What did I do wrong.? How do I get the changes that I made in the surfaces of the eyes to take effect?

Brandonisrad. I think that this file is close to what you are trying to do. Open the scene file and select the “Eye Null Target” object. Move it around a bit. Select the head. Rotate that. If you want the “Eye Null Target” to follow the head, than parent the “Eye Null Target” object to the head.

j__
07-21-2007, 04:28 AM

I have made some surfaces for the eyes. But there not showing. What did I do wrong.? How do I get the changes that I made in the surfaces of the eyes to take effect?

Hi, your surfaces are there ok, but the targeting is kind of all in reverse so you are only seeing the backs of the eyes.

I think this is a limitation or fault in Point at Target; it is expecting to you to have made your character on the Z plane the opposite way round.

Brandonisrad
07-22-2007, 11:21 PM

Brandonisrad. I think that this file is close to what you are trying to do. Open the scene file and select the “Eye Null Target” object. Move it around a bit. Select the head. Rotate that. If you want the “Eye Null Target” to follow the head, than parent the “Eye Null Target” object to the head.

Wow Thanks! That did it heh.

Your Awesome.

SplineGod
07-23-2007, 01:51 AM
You can also try using Relativitys targetting or even setting up a simple IK setup on each eye.

lesterfoster
07-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Sorry for the delay. I rotated the eye’s so they are facing the other way and moved the head around a bit. I don’t do much surfacing. This is the first with LW-9. For some reason, I can’t see any surfacing changes in Modeler.:help:

Tip:: In layout, press small letter “d” to bring up your display options panel. Increase your Bounding Box Threshold settings to 10,000 or so. Then hit play on your timeline.

Brandonisrad
07-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Sorry for the delay. I rotated the eye’s so they are facing the other way and moved the head around a bit. I don’t do much surfacing. This is the first with LW-9. For some reason, I can’t see any surfacing changes in Modeler.:help:

Tip:: In layout, press small letter “d” to bring up your display options panel. Increase your Bounding Box Threshold settings to 10,000 or so. Then hit play on your timeline.

Thank you so much Lester!!

Hey what version of lightwave do you use btw? b/c my layout doesn't read something in that file very well :grumpy:

lesterfoster
07-24-2007, 07:31 AM
I used LW 9.0 What version of LW are you using and what are you having problems seeing in layout. The model is your object from that “Why!!?” thread that you started.

I made the eye target null (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Videos/BuildNull.mov)with the help of this video.
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Videos/BuildNull.mov