PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a good UV Font Map Generator

manproof
07-18-2007, 04:22 PM
We are looking for an application, or even a Photoshop plug-in, that generates UV font maps (with coordinates for each character) from a flattened string of characters. Doing this by hand in Photoshop is murder. What do the rest of you use for this?

Lamont
07-20-2007, 01:52 AM
You mean a grid that shows you how your UV's are laid out and the relation to each other?

Eekster
07-20-2007, 05:05 AM
Aloha!

Done know really whay you mean, but I ttf2bmp for XNA.
Maybe you can modefiy it to fit your needs :)

http://boomeret.googlepages.com/tutorial012222

/Eek

manproof
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Lamont, sorry I didn’t describe it too well. Here’s my dream plug-in/script/application:

Within Photoshop (or another image creation program) you create a file that consists of a string of characters. Imagine a wide, horizontal image with a single row of text. Perhaps the characters are 0, 1, 2… 9, or maybe 0, 1, 2… 9, A, B… Z, a, b…z. The character set could be dynamic. Each character could have a stroke and a gradient applied to it, be left plain, hit with a bevel emboss… whatever.

When the plug-in is run, a dialog would appear where you’d enter the characters present in the image. The script would run, going through the image and cutting the individual characters out. The characters would then be reassembled in a new image, sized at open GL dimensions, with the alpha intact. The text would now be laid out in a series of rows, to maximize the size of the image while staying within dimension restrictions. Also, a text file would be generated describing the coordinates of each character present in the new image file.

Hope that’s a bit more clear. What do you think?

I’ve got limited web access at work, Eekster, but I’ll check out the link you provided when I get home.

Neuroup
07-25-2007, 05:08 AM
Hello!
On your place I will think about using Zburhs to texturing a object. Importing objects to Zbrush is very easy and he is creating uv. There is one bug. Zbursh is creats very big uv maps if you want have good one. But now in Game development size of texture is not a problem.
Other way is uv wrap. Small plugin who will be very usefull for you. If you want I can send to you. If your coder what to that you must make only one uvmap on one object i can write to you how to make it.
Bye!!

Lamont
07-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Makes sense, it's how font sets for some games are done.

manproof
07-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Neuroup,
Thanks for the response. I don't quite follow how ZBrush would do what I'm looking for. Would ZBrush be able to make a text file containing the (x, y) for each letter and number in the font map image? What am I missing?

Lamont,
Do most game developers make these fonts manually? Going through a full character set in Photoshop and writing down coordinates in a text file is a real pain. Even when it's not too painful (smaller character sets) the process could still benefit from automation. Do you folks use freeware for this, or perhaps some proprietary tools that you can't share?

Neuroup
07-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Hello!
When you are exporting object from Zbrush you have normal object in obj format with one big uv map.
When you will import it to :lwicon: you can do next things what you need.
Greets.

Bye!!

Tzan
07-31-2007, 11:03 AM
There is no tool to automate this. The proceedure you described just has to be done by hand.

There are tools to hand draw fonts and store them in an image strip. But thats not what you want.

In the past I have hand drawn a font and placed the images in a strip using PS and recorded coordinates by hand and programmed it to work in game. I even developed simple kerning rules.

Such is the dull life of an artist sometimes :)

Sam_Horton
08-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I used this program to generate a font map for use in an XNA 3D Engine. It worked flawlessly, but I had to do a bit of coding to get the fonts integrated into the engine.

http://www.angelcode.com

!(>_<)!