PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to pause a lightwave render?

jnddepew
07-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Is there a way to pause a lightwave render?
because that would be very very, useful!
thanks.

MooseDog
07-17-2007, 07:02 PM
long nad short answer: no

warrenwc
07-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Long nad?:jester:

Beau_M
07-17-2007, 10:53 PM
long nads huh!? lucky man! :P

Unless you use FPrime, there's no way to pause a render.

MooseDog
07-18-2007, 04:32 AM
oops :boogiedow i guess that falls under "too much information" :D

fprime is indeed your third party solution.:thumbsup:

MonroePoteet
07-18-2007, 08:38 AM
If you're rendering to a framestore (i.e. individual frame files), you can record the frame being rendered on the status panel, press ESCAPE to abort the render, and then change the starting frame to that frame. I do it all the time.

You could also suspend the "lightwav" process if you had a tool to do so. Windows doesn't provide a native way to suspend a process, although there are several utilities to do so.

mTp

archijam
07-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Speaking of which, how about being able to re-open the render window again with all those past renders in it? MAX had a funtion for this if I remember correctly ...

So many times I don't save each one of my tests then .. oops ... gone.

j.

JeffrySG
07-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I was wondering about this myself... I really can't believe that LW doesn't have a way to pause/suspend a render (either a frame or a series of frames) and save the suspended file and then continue at a later point.

There are many times where I'll need to shutdown for some reason in the middle of a render (such as a bad lightning storm).

This is something that really should be added in the 9.x cycle!!!

jnddepew
07-18-2007, 02:52 PM
agreed. that would be a VERY useful feature.

Sarford
07-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Can't you pause rendering by using a controller with screamernet? Something like Mule or RendeFarm Commander?

Though I can't see the use realy, it's not that the resources used by rendering are released when hitting pause. That could give all kinds of problems when trying to resume.

Beau_M
07-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Speaking of which, how about being able to re-open the render window again with all those past renders in it? MAX had a funtion for this if I remember correctly ...

If you use QV render preview, you can have up to 10 renders 'open' at once, as long as you don't close the window. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the site anymore.

Cageman
07-19-2007, 12:01 AM

j.

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2353

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68046&highlight=info+saver

Unfortunately it is only for PC. But poke the programmer and someone may be able to port it to Mac as well...

Beau_M
07-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Hmm, can't edit my post. Found the site for QV anyway.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/erniew/getstuff/qv.html

creativecontrol
07-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I've sent this very suggestion to feature requests. Maybe if we all did it they'd add it to the next build :)

archijam
07-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Unfortunately it is only for PC. But poke the programmer and someone may be able to port it to Mac as well...

Cheers monsieur Cage - it should work a treat in Bootcamp/Parallels.

Merci-

Now ... where's Lightwolf hiding ;) ?

j.

Lightwolf
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Now ... where's Lightwolf hiding ;) ?

I'm not hiding... :D

Mind you, I have the time for re-compiles... but not for full blown ports if the plugin relies on major OS functionality (such as QV, not sure about the info saver).

Cheers,
Mike