PDA

View Full Version : Lock Clips!!!

bbeanan
07-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Ok I know this has been requested before but I need to be able to lock clips to the timeline. This has cost me the better part of an hour recently where you do not notice until you are about done then you have to go back and fix it as it does not make sense to undo all the way back.

Rich Deustachio
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Yes, locking clips to their location on the timeline as well as grouping to each other without using subprojects would be very welcome.

Lee U
07-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Locking clips in the time line and locking the time increments so it doesn't move from 10 seconds to 50 sec just because I want to scan the time line.

SBowie
07-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Ya kind of lost me on that one, Lee - more detail, please? Having an issue with accidental zooming?

ScorpioProd
07-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Ok I know this has been requested before but I need to be able to lock clips to the timeline. This has cost me the better part of an hour recently where you do not notice until you are about done then you have to go back and fix it as it does not make sense to undo all the way back.
Yup, sucks when that happens.:foreheads

Though if I had to pick between locking clips to the timeline versus grouping clips together, which I'm told is actually two very different things, I'd vote for grouping over locking.

wvp
07-18-2007, 05:27 AM
This is my #1 feature request. Not that other things aren't important or will have a bigger impact, but because it is such a basic need.

ScorpioProd
07-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Well... 1.2 is out, so it's something we'll have to live with for a good deal longer...

KSTAR
07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Yup, sucks when that happens.:foreheads

Though if I had to pick between locking clips to the timeline versus grouping clips together, which I'm told is actually two very different things, I'd vote for grouping over locking.

If I had to chose between the two I would vote for grouping first as well.

billmi
07-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Aside from the control tree/overlay limitations imposed by sub-projects, which hopefully will be addressed, what is the functional difference between grouping and subprojects? I have pretty much thought of subprojects as just a different way of looking at grouping.

ScorpioProd
07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Though subprojects are certainly a primative form of grouping, even with full control tree/overlay capabilities, that doesn't bring them close to normal clip grouping.

Though note that I have suggested in the past that FULL subproject functionality could bring us close enough to live with it as a substitute for true clip grouping, at least for a while.

What's the difference between subprojects and grouping? First of all, subprojects show you NO AUDIO WAVEFORM. That alone makes it useless currently as a grouping substitution for me. I need to see my audio waveforms AND adjust them. IF the subproject did a MIX DOWN audio with a waveform on it, well, that would be perfect, and would frankly make sense. Then you could adjust left and right at the subproject level, and that would be fine.

That combined with full control tree/overlay ability would make them very useful instead of true grouping.

But what it still wouldn't have is a way to direclty see all the clips involved without having to do something like drill into the subproject.

Paul Brunson
07-20-2007, 01:03 PM
I have to throw my vote in here as this being the MOST desired feature request for me.

When working on anything that requires syncing this is crucial. For me I often will capture high quality audio with a DAT recorded and a boom mic crew. And I don't often have the luxury of an on site time sync signal between Dat and camera. Instead I use the camera audio as reference audio to help me quickly sync up the captured DAT audio to the individual clips. But from that point on I'm always having to carefully make sure I always select my DAT audio clip with my video clip or the sync gets off.

On large projects with lots of dialogue its nothing short of maddening. Once I've got any clip synchronised with any other clip I really would like the ability to lock it that way and work with confidence on the rest of my edit. :)

wvp
07-25-2007, 05:39 AM
This is my #1 feature request. Not that other things aren't important or will have a bigger impact, but because it is such a basic need.
:bump:
Just spent WAY WAY too much time re-syncing :mad: I guess putting a few dissolves in with audio tracks that are not locked (wish I could!) is too difficult to program. :help::newtek:

Lee U
07-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Ya kind of lost me on that one, Lee - more detail, please? Having an issue with accidental zooming? sorry I was late in getting back to this.
Yep! accidental zooming while moving the time line left or right. Probably should have been a thread by itself. Anyway I would like to lock both zooming and prevent clips from moving accidentally.

SBowie
07-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Oh, I see - thanks man!

kleima
08-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Lee,

You can already do this: when you right click to zoom or pan the timeline, hold down the shift key - it will lock to whichever you do first; pan or zoom, and will only to that, i.e. pan without zoom or zoom without pan.

harlan
08-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Yep Yep Yep... this is one of those features that we've been requesting since the turn of the century. Who knows why it hasn't been implemented yet... it's sort of a common-sense 101 kind of a feature, and the fact that after years of this being requested in VT-Edit and we still don't have it in SE is downright disappointing.

Not to mention, it's one of the features that absolutely prevent me from using SE on a paying job. Sure, the features in SE are nice and shiny, but if we can't have the most basic of basic absolutely important functions* like this then SE is utterly useless for 99.9% of the work I do.

NewTek used to be my "go-to" company for tools that not only saved me money because they were cheaper than the alternatives, but they'd also help me make money by offering the same time-saving workflow enhancing features found in much more expensive products. Sadly, now that isn't the case, as we not only don't have the basic needed functions (like proper track & clip locking) but they're also not altogether that affordable anymore.

* I won't even call it a feature as it should be standard fare like it is in every other NLE I'm aware of.

PS - Sorry for coming across so negatively, I'm just frustrated with the lack of some of these things as I want to use SE as a primary NLE. It's sad that these incredibly basic yet totally essential features, which have been requested by users for YEARS, have yet to be remedied while features which appeal to only a hand-full users are tossed in right and left. It's almost like trying to sell an engine-less car by advertising the fact that it has a lighted ashtray.

Lee U
08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Lee,

You can already do this: when you right click to zoom or pan the timeline, hold down the shift key - it will lock to whichever you do first; pan or zoom, and will only to that, i.e. pan without zoom or zoom without pan.

Well, just darn..It works just like you said Thanks for the tip!