PDA

View Full Version : Another New (Old) Guy

s4sha
07-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Greetings Everyone,

Just a quick hello from a LW newb. If any of you remember Ray Dream Studio then you know how long it's been since I seriously looked into new software. Yes, I think it's time for me to move into this century. I still use RDS for graphic design, but it's definitely time to move on. Someone please tell me I've found the yellow brick road or the white rabbit (whichever is your preference) in Lightwave.

Man I feel old....

d1wojo
07-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Lightwave is powerful enough to do what I need it to do and a lot more. Good to have ye here:)

Silkrooster
07-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Man I haven't used Ray Dream Studio in years. I even had Corel's watered down version of the program as well. Yeah you are going to like what you can accomplish in lightwave. I don't think I would ever go back to RDS.
Silk

toby
07-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Ray Dream Studio
Aaaaack!!

RDS :twak:

You deserve all help we can possibly give you to get that rubbish out of your life!

s4sha
07-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys! Yes I am waking up and smelling the coffee. Just downloaded the trial version. I can't wait to get started. I did download the documentation, does anyone have any good tutorial sources?

Thanks for the welcome...

ben martin
07-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi and welcome,

Yep, Lightwave is a very good and capable software. :thumbsup:
One of the best things is that if Lightwave fails in some area you will be able to find other fully integrated alternatives in the market to solve your specific problem. So it can never be a wrong choice doesn't matter what you'll try to do with it!!

RDS old days huh? He… he…

I can only tell you this:
Before I choose Ligthwave to my projects (and it is now my team, core software) I tried it all. :twak:
3DMax, Maya. After year 2000 I also tested Houdini, Blender. XSI and C4D.

I really don't want to go about that Quality/Price relation issue but I must agree that it helps a lot to make Lightwave a winner. :bowdown:

Nevertheless I believe Lightwave is one of the most comprehensive and easy to work with software around.
Like I said before, you can never fail choosing Lightwave! :lwicon:

About VTM (Video tutorials) 3Dbuzz have good and expressive beginners video tutorials.
You need to register but it's free and it's well worth...
Check it out! http://www.3dbuzz.com/ VIDEO TUTORALS / LIGHTWAVE

s4sha
07-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks Chund and Ben-- fantastic- I'll get busy!

Should have done this a LONG time ago...

Surrealist.
07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Welcome aboard.

I agree on the www.suture.net

Also hop on over to lightwiki and take a look.

Silkrooster
07-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys! Yes I am waking up and smelling the coffee. Just downloaded the trial version. I can't wait to get started. I did download the documentation, does anyone have any good tutorial sources?

Thanks for the welcome...
You ask and you shall receive...
silk

Lewis
07-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Welcome and feel free to ask on this forums if you get in trouble with some stuff - no one reads whole manuals anyway :).

art
07-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Silkrooster, is it alright to redistribute this pdf (post on a lightwave related website, for example?)

s4sha
07-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Awsome! Thanks everyone for sharing the resources. It's great to know there are so many artists willing to help! Have only started playing with the trial, and with all of the good reviews, I'm almost ready to place the order!

Sorry, Ray Dream Designer old buddy...