PDA

View Full Version : All what want to know about HDRIs

gerardstrada
07-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Hello,

There's a lot of questions related with HDRIs all the time; for those who are interested in this topic, this is an excellent resource about all the secrets on creation and management of HDRIs and Image Based Lighting (IBL):

http://www.hdrlabs.com/

Take a look at the Smart IBL project, it's the most easier and efficient way that I've found as real IBL solution. This open system, allow us not only to solve a complete, efficient and optimized IBL setup with a single button with a lot of flexibility, but also to share lighting projects between 3D applications for an entire company pipeline or even for studio's collaborative work pipelines. The project is opened for every 3D application, but loader scripts for Lightwave, Maya and 3DMax are the most developed (hope to see the others catching the wave as fast as these).

Take a special look also to Picturenaut, this is really nice piece of software for HDRI creation, mostly if you feel that HDRShop 1 is too old or complicated. It works with the same plugin API, so we can useLightgen, MedianCut or other HDRShop plugins there. It has 5 tone mapping operators and other 9 filters (you should give it a try to fakeHDRI and DiffuseSH ), besides 2 global tone mappers which are really fast, and the particular capability to reuse the camera curve for gamma adjustments of a tone mapped LDR image.

The whole project is an initiative of Christian Bloch (aka Blochi), who is recognized as one of the most expert Visual Effects Artists on HDRI photography and IBL solutions.

Gerardo

gerardstrada
07-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey! Thanks.

Yes, I've had the chance to take it a look and it's the most complete book that I've read about HDRIs. Very good reading :thumbsup:

The website is also a good place to share and learn some new techniques and experiments about HDR photography and IBL :)

Gerardo

monovich
07-17-2007, 12:22 PM
thanks for the link! I'm abou 90% there on making my own HDRs, but that last 10% makes a huge difference in quality. I'll read up on this for sure.

anieves
07-17-2007, 08:20 PM
see the Bloch has a book comming out http://www.hdrlabs.com/book/index.html

and Brad Peebler has a comment on it :-D

always trying to find a place to plug modo lol