PDA

View Full Version : New guy

Laeyzer
07-16-2007, 06:39 PM
new here, grew up on Softimage and Maya, bought a cheaper 3d program for our company to use and its not working out
Looks like Lightwave is kicking butt.
Just want to know how the animation workflow is for character animation.

tx

SplineGod
07-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Welcome!
I would do a search under the topic. Ive used the CA tools in LW for awhile without major problems. Some feel theyre too outdated to use which I dont agree with. LWs got some nice CA tools especially IKBoost. Its a rigging/animation system similar to animanium in many regards. :)
Just curious why you feel LW is a solution for your company. What was the other app you bought?

Laeyzer
07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I'll do a search and see what i can come with.
LW seems to be one of top packages out there. lots of features for the price.
seems to have good support to.
Will have to test out the trial version and get a feel for the workflow.
Just looking for the best bang for the buck without a huge learning curve.

Not asking for much, am I.

We had purchased Animation Master.

I see you have been in game for awhile.

Welcome!
I would do a search under the topic. Ive used the CA tools in LW for awhile without major problems. Some feel theyre too outdated to use which I dont agree with. LWs got some nice CA tools especially IKBoost. Its a rigging/animation system similar to animanium in many regards. :)
Just curious why you feel LW is a solution for your company. What was the other app you bought?

SplineGod
07-16-2007, 10:13 PM
If you need some training material for LW on pretty much any topic including character rigging and animation go here:
www.kurvstudios.com

Heres a demo of a rig produced in the DVD 'Rigging, the Definitive Guide'
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/char_rig_demo.zip
This video received an 8 of out 10 in 3DW Magazine.

This is a demo from 'Rigging a Quadruped' DVD
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/rig_demo.mov

IKBoost is another rigging/animation tool in LW that is similar in many ways to AM.

Stooch
07-16-2007, 10:37 PM
dont bother with CA in LW at this time. unless you are looking for toon style animation with a few characters at most.

prospector
07-16-2007, 11:20 PM
See, some don't like it :D

I do like it tho:thumbsup:

seems to have good support to
Yes, this is correct, all the support you could possably imagine, right here on these threads:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Silkrooster
07-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Prospector's got that right. There are a lot of extremely helpful people roaming these forums.
Silk

AbnRanger
07-17-2007, 03:53 AM
Siggraph is just a few weeks away, and I'm anxious to see what Newtek has cooking, regarding CA.

ben martin
07-17-2007, 05:39 AM
For large projects Lightwave is not presenting the best CA solutions (well not right now anyway).
Of course that there are "a lot of extremely helpful people roaming these forums", stating that yes! Lightwave rocks all over down the hill doesn't matter what!!

To me this is more a Lightwave addicted love issue than being realistic.
Anyway, it's possible however to animate some projects if you don't need to respect deadlines or other kind of demands.

What is funny is that the majority of users in this forum are expecting radical improvements in Lightwave CA system! (see this pool) http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71113&page=4
Let's figure, someone must be wrong about CA and Lightwave!

And maybe this thread can help with to figure out some other info's about CA:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71206

I too am hoping that Newtek surprise us all in the next Siggraph! :hey:

Laeyzer
07-17-2007, 07:30 AM
well, this helps alot guys, didnt realize that CA was a little weak. I will do more research and see whats happens at sigraph about any major anouncements.

tx so far

archijam
07-17-2007, 08:29 AM
.. even the most hardcore LW fan would be hesitant if CA is the ONLY reason you are choosing LW .. if you give more info about your projected work pipeline we could give more feedback ..

Either way, you'd be crazy not to wait until after Siggraph and see what all the apps come up with ...

j.

edit: I gotta cut down on the ... dots ...

Laeyzer
07-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi again, would posted sooner but doing working on a training sesion for this weekend.
In a nut shell, I have done training, commericials and working towards producing one of our show ideas.
We are looking for a 3d package that has a reasonable learning curve, has a good set of tools for all aspects of 3d.
Good support including customer service, online information and training for all aspects of the software.
Access to a pool of animators, modelers and such. Remote work for the most part if we can things in place.
Reasonble price.
I have worked with Softimage till it turned to xsi, Maya 4.5 and then purchased animation master. Its ok but doesnt have the support or the compatibility like other packages.
We are looking at other packages and understand you get what you pay for.

tx

.. even the most hardcore LW fan would be hesitant if CA is the ONLY reason you are choosing LW .. if you give more info about your projected work pipeline we could give more feedback ..

Either way, you'd be crazy not to wait until after Siggraph and see what all the apps come up with ...

j.

edit: I gotta cut down on the ... dots ...

ben martin
07-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Like I said a lot of times, Lightwave is a good choice. :thumbsup:
It fit in all the conditions except the CA problem.
However, the Lightwave CA weak tools shouldn’t be reason enough to avoid the software.
The Lightwave CA problem can be easily surpassed.
While Newtek does not presents a credible CA alternative, you can always get project messiah for instance.
It’s very affordable and complements Lightwave CA very well!

XSi foundation is cheaper that Lightwave but misses some important features like fur/hair, clothing…etc.

I guess there is not much to say bout this subject!
Hope that you can make the right choice to fulfill your needs! :dance:

Take care.