PDA

View Full Version : images and RAM (and Vista and AVI's)

F1Racer
07-16-2007, 04:36 AM
This is probably going to sound a silly question as I think jpgs even though they are compressed in file size probably consume the same amount of memory as their bmp counterpart once loaded into memory.

So my question is, if all the textures in a LW scene are high quality jpegs as opposed to BMPs, does this make LW consume less RAM ?

I have a scene I'm preparing for a customer with several very large bitmap textures. My RAM is on 98% and can just barely manage to render out the anim sequences.
I'm in a quandary because got 4Gb RAM and am using WinXP 32bit so only 2.75Gb gets addressed.
Now I can load up into my Vista 64-bit which addresses the whole 4Gb and therefore gives me only 70% RAM usage when the scene is loaded, but Vista has a MAJOR problem with AVI encoding causing corrupted avi's.
Ive heard the way around this is to put the avifil.dll file from XP into Vista as M$ don't seem to think this warrants a hotfix and is waiting until SP1 to fix it (if someone can correct me on this ?).
For anyone who has had this problem btw, just grab the latest VirtualDub (v1.72) as that will read in the corrupt Vista made AVI's and then you just re-save them (I use no compression but you dont need to re-encode anyway with Direct Processing mode).

So to my question on the JPGs and the RAM... :)

sammael
07-16-2007, 08:07 AM
If you convert the images to indexed colour (256) or geryscale (for spec etc) you can save on ram otherwise they will consume the same memory as a standard bmp I think.
I do this when scenes get too large and it frees up the memory, you generally notice no diference in quality even if you convert your colour maps to indexed as well, although you could convert everything but the colour maps and still free up a bit anyway.

Lightwolf
07-16-2007, 08:44 AM
This might help you regarding how LW handles images:
http://www.lightwiki.com/Optimised_image_use

Cheers,
Mike

F1Racer
07-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys, good info.