PDA

View Full Version : images and RAM (and Vista and AVI's)

F1Racer
07-16-2007, 04:34 AM
This is probably going to sound a silly question as I think jpgs even though they are compresses in filesize probably comsume the same amount of memory as their bmp counterpart once loaded into memory.

So my question is, if all the textures in a LW scene are high quality jpegs as opposed to BMPs, does this make LW consume less RAM ?

I have a scene Im preparing for a customer with several very large bitmap textures. My RAM is on 98% and can just barely manage to render out the anim sequences.
I'm ina quandry because got 4Gb RAM and am using WinXP 32bit so only 2.75Gb gets addressed.
Now I can load up into my Vista 64-bit which addresses the whole 4Gb and therefore gives me only 70% RAM usage when the scene is loaded, but Vista has a MAJOR problem with AVI encoding causign corrupted avi's.
Ive heard the way around this is to put the avifil.dll file from XP into Vista as M$ dont seem to think this warrants a hotfix and is waiting until SP1 to fix it (if someone can correct me on this ?).
For anyone who has had this problem btw, just grab the latest VirtualDub (v1.72) as that will read in the corrupt Vista made AVI's and then you just re-save them (I use no compression but you dont need to re-encode anyway)