PDA

View Full Version : Where is box round tool?

Scolopendra
02-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Hello there to all LW fans.

May be my question seems stupid but for me it is not as stupid as it may seem.

I need to find box round tool in LW and can't. I guess it must be somewhere because it is simple operation.
For example, when you have a box every face lies 90 degrees to other. And I don't need these sharp edges, so I want to round them. I know such tool exists in Maya and I'm sure it must be in LW somewhere but can't put my hands on it.

Any thoughts?

Lewis
02-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Yes there is round edges tool in LWs BOX settings. When you are making BOX just hit "n" for numeric input and you will notice it very easy.

Scolopendra
02-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Yes, that's right for box when you create it. But if I need to round corners of more complex object and if I made some time ago. In one word object exist and it have sharp corners which I want to round.

However, I've cheked Maya, actually it works on NURBS only not on polygons, so may be such feature not present in LW either.

Anyway, thank you for reply Lewis. By the way your Maseratti just... I don't have words to express my delight. I can't get enough of your demo. ;)

Lewis
02-20-2003, 09:00 PM
You can "transfer" premade BOX into Round cornered box in LW also. Just hit TAB and you will switch to SubDs (SubPatches called in LW or metaNURBS in older version). But you will need to add few extra cuts in geometry to preserve BOX shape and you will have perfect rounded edges. Just use Bandsaw with small amount tu cut it close to edges. If you have problmes with this what i just typed i can demonstrate you with few images later.

Thanks for comments on my Maserati ;).

Scolopendra
02-20-2003, 09:14 PM
No, no, thank you. I understood all what you said and actually tryed it before. I just thought there is a tool like in Maya but I mistaked that this tool exists in Maya only for NURBS. Of course polygonal surfaces absolutely different case.
Just wanted to save some time :)

What the poly count for your Maserati? Of course if it is not secure information. Just curious because right now I'm modeling russian truck Kamaz, have a task on my new job and it is interesting for me. I never done cars before.

faulknermano
02-20-2003, 11:12 PM
there are some tools like Mentory (check flay.com) and KW_EdgeSmoother (flay.com). they're also that DAZ EdgeBevel, but it wont smooth edges. note that the first two are commercial plugs, i think.

Lewis
02-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Hi !

My maserati is about 35k SubDs with interior and all details. Every part is in SubDs so it looks like low poly but can be freezed to enormus count of polys if needed ;). Since i render it all as SubDs i can control level of SubPatches in layout to prevent enough details for close shots.

BTW Mentory is good one for your question then. I worked with mentory few times.

trentonia
02-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Couldn't you do a multi=bevel i.e. select the poly shift 3 - inset 1, shift 2 - inset 2, shift 1 - inset 3 or something like that?

Scolopendra
02-22-2003, 05:30 AM
Ok, thank you guys. I'll see if I can get my hands on Mentory.

Multi-bevel is of course the first thing when you have a task as mine but when you have to round a corner of like 500 small polys from one side and 500 from another it is become a real pain. As I said I just wanted to walk a "shord road" but seems like there is no "short road" :)

Thanks, Lewis for your information about your car :)