PDA

View Full Version : hi, need help

tzahi
07-16-2007, 02:57 AM
hello.
after year of using 3d studio max, i started working with lightwave 8
and soon with 9.......and i need yours help with an isue i have.
as you can see in the snapshot i took from modeler, after i convert to subpach mode, it is still not completly smooth and show me ugly bump.
how can i get rid from this?, because, in 3ds max, maya, cinema.....i dont see this problem.......thank you all!!

Sekhar
07-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Tzahi, welcome to LightWave. What you're seeing is the preview - render to see the actual output. Regardless, to get finer preview, you can increase the level for the two SubD types (Subpatch and Catmull-Clark) through the Options menu (shortcut "o"). But be aware that this dramatically slows down the preview for complex models.

Now for the render, be sure to turn on Smoothing in Surface Editor (shortcut "F5"). You can also adjust the SubD level for the render in Layout through the Object Properties window (shortcut "p").

Surrealist.
07-16-2007, 12:20 PM
hello.
after year of using 3d studio max, i started working with lightwave 8
and soon with 9.......and i need yours help with an isue i have.
as you can see in the snapshot i took from modeler, after i convert to subpach mode, it is still not completly smooth and show me ugly bump.
how can i get rid from this?, because, in 3ds max, maya, cinema.....i dont see this problem.......thank you all!!

Your subdivision level looks good. Lightwave modeler Open GL has a problem displaying certain subpatch configurations. Although I'd have to see a wire frame to be 100%, generally any point with more than 4 polys connected will give you a bump like that. Though it wont necessarily display like that in a render it will still give you problems in creating smooth predictable shapes.

I have a tutorial on subpatch modeling you might enjoy. Link below.