PDA

View Full Version : Why!!?

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Can someone tell me why this polygon is acting like this so I can fix it please ----------> http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/brandonbrown_photos/Messupdiff.png

"Subpatched" http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/brandonbrown_photos/messup.png

It's truly annoying, I've tried fixing the points using drag but it just gets all twisted. When I first started createing the model it wasn't a problem until I used knife tool to add more polygons to the front, but that's the back mind you. I don't know hhhhh:help:

Trevor
07-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Press w, and look for >4 vertices.
Subpatch will only work with 4 point polys.

When you used the knife tool, it looks like you created unwanted points.
Also be careful using the knife tool, as it will slice through your entire object.

lesterfoster
07-16-2007, 01:36 AM
I think it looks similar to this.

Try pressing small letter “m” to merge points.

It looks like you have a polygon that is not attached to the polygons that are around it.

lesterfoster
07-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Or it maybe that polygon did not get converted into subpatch. Try selecting that polygon and press “Tab” for that one polygon only.

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 01:59 AM
When I press "W" it does have 4 vertices do I delete them or something?

archijam
07-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Or it maybe that polygon did not get converted into subpatch. Try selecting that polygon and press “Tab” for that one polygon only.

.. then it looks like this is your problem .. select it and hit tab ..

j.

edit: check your geometry, the back of the head is different in the left and right corners ..

hrgiger
07-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Just select the problem polygon and delete it. If there is a polygon below it, you should be able to now convert it to subpatch. If not, simply choose the 4 points around the hole and hit p to create a new polyon. This will be easier to do with subpatch off.

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Ok, Thanks guys.

oDDity
07-16-2007, 02:47 AM
Hottest user maybe, but not the brightest it seems.

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 02:59 AM
Hottest user maybe, but not the brightest it seems.

Your right, I'm not the brightest user of lightwave of course but I will get it down one day ^_-. I have to ask my professor about this problem because I just can't find my mistake, I mean I know some of the geometry is alittle off but thats not whats making this polygon do this. I even tired deleting it and creating another polygon but same problem, hhhh. :bangwall:

lesterfoster
07-16-2007, 03:32 AM
I mean I know some of the geometry is alittle off but thats not whats making this polygon do this. I even tired deleting it and creating another polygon but same problem, hhhh. :bangwall:
Can you upload your model for us to take a look at??

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 04:01 AM
Sure.....how do I do that? heh :D

lesterfoster
07-16-2007, 04:19 AM
Click on post reply as you already know how to.

Scroll down to Additional Options.

Click on Manage Attachments.

A new window should pop up. Click on the Browse button .

Navigate to where the file is on your system and select it, then hit “Open”.

After that. You should be back at the “Manage Attachments” window

You should now see that it has been added to the “Current Attachments” area.

Close your “Manage Attachments” window

Add your message or comments and hit the “Submit Reply” button

Stooch
07-16-2007, 04:26 AM
wow. i would think that knowing how to upload would be a prerequisite for 3d artists? i guess the rules are different for hot people...

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 04:38 AM
It's not letting me do this. It only allows certain kinds of files, the file is a Lightwave model file how would I get it to attach?

cagey5
07-16-2007, 04:42 AM
zip it up. Also looking at the first image you posted in the perspective view the two polys at the end are shaded slightly differently to those adjacent to them so they look as though they are not attached fully. Have you tried merging points as well as checking for duplicate polys?

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 04:46 AM
Thanks.

K here it is..

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 04:49 AM
zip it up. Also looking at the first image you posted in the perspective view the two polys at the end are shaded slightly differently to those adjacent to them so they look as though they are not attached fully. Have you tried merging points as well as checking for duplicate polys?

Yeah, I looked at those polys too. But I when I tried merging and welding it wasn't pretty.

cagey5
07-16-2007, 04:54 AM
The geometry on the problem side is totally different to the other side. The problem poly has 5 points and needs rebuilding. But you will also need to rebouild the polys adjacent to it to ensure they have a maximum of 4 points too.

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 04:58 AM
The geometry on the problem side is totally different to the other side. The problem poly has 5 points and needs rebuilding. But you will also need to rebouild the polys adjacent to it to ensure they have a maximum of 4 points too.

@[email protected] Can I cut the problem side off and just mirror the correct side? would that work or do I have to start from scratch?

cagey5
07-16-2007, 05:01 AM
I hust tried that and it's not going to match up. I'd start again as you also have some serious non planar polys in there that need resolving, around where the 'horns' join the head.

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 05:05 AM
I hust tried that and it's not going to match up. I'd start again as you also have some serious non planar polys in there that need resolving, around where the 'horns' join the head.

Ok, Thanks alot!

~B-Rad~

AbnRanger
07-16-2007, 05:08 AM
wow. i would think that knowing how to upload would be a prerequisite for 3d artists? i guess the rules are different for hot people...Why don't you and oDDity show some manners for once in your life? :twak:

Dodgy
07-16-2007, 05:11 AM
You've built your model off the y-z plane, it is really helpful if you can model there, as you can use the symmetry option to mirror most of your actions.

mav3rick
07-16-2007, 05:24 AM
oh my we should open begginer section on NT FORUM

AbnRanger
07-16-2007, 05:37 AM
oh my we should open begginer section on NT FORUMWhat has become of this community, when you have some here trying to offer assistance, while a others point the finger at a new guy and snicker like little juveniles?
I would ask you to show some class...problem is, for some of you, it's asking for the world in a handbasket.

Say Brandon, can you drop the "Hottest User" tag? Some of the girls here seem to be having problems with it?

Dodgy
07-16-2007, 05:52 AM
I agree, we were all beginners once, is this really necessary?

alifx
07-16-2007, 06:09 AM
the problem is some people think they born as experts.

alifx
07-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Haha, I could see this coming a mile away. But seriously, any teenager coming here flaunting his "hot" stuff, deserves a little flak. That's part of being a "hot" teenager after all. :D

Unless he's after guys, he's going to be severely disapointed here, as the two or three females here, are probably old enough to be his mother.

And making specifically sure that the users here know that he's both "rad" and "hot", he surely must be fishing for boy or girl attention. hard to say which one though :p

hehehehe :D

but IMHO, no matter who wants the help, and who is that person...

Help is Help!, at the end it's a nice thing that a person can present.

with respect
:)

colkai
07-16-2007, 06:51 AM
I agree, we were all beginners once, is this really necessary?
Totally agree.
Seems the desire for sniping at folks is becoming cancerous. It was bad enough with the usual suspects, but now it almost seems like first reaction. :twak:

Thank the Gods when I started, everyone here, I mean everyone went out of their way to help folks, regardless of the apparent naivety of the question.
Sure, the 'Hot User' name is a little optimistic, but no more so than some others I've seen.
If I just replied with flippant and arrogant posturing when people asked me what is to me, blindingly obvious, I'd be out of a job.

colkai
07-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Here you go, 5 minutes playing about - notice how it is now along the Z axis so with Symmetry on, any edit you do on one side of the X axis, will be mirrored to the other.
You had a couple of bad polygons and some un-merged points too.

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Here you go, 5 minutes playing about - notice how it is now along the Z axis so with Symmetry on, any edit you do on one side of the X axis, will be mirrored to the other.
You had a couple of bad polygons and some un-merged points too.

Wow! thanks a million colkai!

And I agree with Abn ranger, Alifix, Dodgy, and colkai of course. Help is help, I didn't ask you about my name I asked you about my model geez. I mean I know that i'm not a professional at lightwave neither where you when you started off that's why I'm in college, but ya know this really seperates the professionals from the kids. Thanks alot to those of you that answered with true and very helpfull answers it really helped me alot! And thanks for being Professional about it. And thank you to those that felt you had to come and bash me because you feel that your better than me, your just fuel to my fire keep me burning for more knowledge.

Steamthrower
07-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I hope you have good luck learning Lightwave. Generally this forum is incredibly helpful, and there are a lot of great modelers here. But great modelers does not necessarily mean great attitude, you know what I mean? There will always be jerks with too much time on their hands...

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I hope you have good luck learning Lightwave. Generally this forum is incredibly helpful, and there are a lot of great modelers here. But great modelers does not necessarily mean great attitude, you know what I mean? There will always be jerks with too much time on their hands...

thank you inigo07 a true artist is well rounded in all arts attitude is an art, you create it it becomes you. I would exspecaily believe this to be true for us 3D artist seeing as we usually have to work with lots of people, some of which we may not totally agree with all the time. But it's exactly like you said "There will always be jerks with to much time on their hands."

oDDity
07-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes, and luckily for you there are all these jerks with time on their hands to answer every dumbass question that should have been learned on day one of modeler training.
Rule one of becoming good, is to work problems out for yourself, and never ask for help, unless absolutely necessary.

archijam
07-16-2007, 02:30 PM
... and you have time on your hands to make your cynical comments, oDD .. what's the difference?

Come on .. show us that soft side ...

j.

*Pete*
07-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Rule one of becoming good, is to work problems out for yourself

cant agree more on that one.:thumbsup:

and never ask for help, unless absolutely necessary.

there is no need to invent the wheel again..if you know it can be done, but do not know what tool to use, go ahead and ask.

Steamthrower
07-16-2007, 05:13 PM
The whole reason for a forum is to ask & answer questions. Of course you should try to work things out for yourself but if you can't figure it out, ask...even if it is a stupid question.

But even more essential to becoming successful in business is to be a polite and professional person. Even if you tend to be slow in the uptake, you know, I'd rather hire a nice clueless guy than a psychotic genius.

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Yes, and luckily for you there are all these jerks with time on their hands to answer every dumbass question that should have been learned on day one of modeler training.
Rule one of becoming good, is to work problems out for yourself, and never ask for help, unless absolutely necessary.

I haven't had any training, I just got lightwave two or three days ago. I'm in college but we haven't worked on any 3D projects yet, now we are just building up are photoshop and life drawing skills...I know how to draw sooo..

You call my questions dumb because your advanced in lightwave unlike me. Well atleast I think you are, could it be that you got a bit angry because you couldn't find the solution? ;) I simply asked for help not to be flamed thank ya so begone you self-indulged profectionist ehm

Brandonisrad
07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
But even more essential to becoming successful in business is to be a polite and professional person. .

:agree: That's so true.

jaf
07-16-2007, 06:44 PM

I checked out your site and see you consider yourself a " good team player".:D

oDDity
07-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Yes, when working on my own as a remote employee and not actually having to interact with any of my colleagues, we all get on famously.

colkai
07-17-2007, 02:08 AM
If you worked for our company and sat there trying to figure a problem out by yourself when someone else already had the skill and knowledge. Well, you'd find yourself out the door with the ole P45, because that's idiotic and wastes time and money. We did have someone like that, had a mighty high opinion of himself too, didn't make it to his first payday.
Consequently, I prefer to err on the side of being helpful, down the road, being a spiteful arrogant S.O.B. can come back and bite you. Of course, for those who will never be part of a team or be able to integrate with others, that isn't a problem.

colkai
07-17-2007, 02:09 AM
I checked out your site and see you consider yourself a " good team player".
..Where's the ROTFL smiley when you need one :hey: :p

AbnRanger
07-17-2007, 03:20 AM
... and you have time on your hands to make your cynical comments, oDD .. what's the difference?

Come on .. show us that soft side ...

j.The only "soft side" he's got is the one he keeps showing everybody here...you know the one with a split down the middle? :D

Steamthrower
07-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Well, hey, we got to be fair, at least he's honest about himself...calls himself a professional cynic...and man is he right.

Stooch
07-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Why don't you and oDDity show some manners for once in your life? :twak:

lol. just kidding. look at his description. as far as manners, you shouldnt be talking mr religious fanatic.

AbnRanger
07-18-2007, 03:42 AM
lol. just kidding. look at his description. as far as manners, you shouldnt be talking mr religious fanatic.What does my religious convictions have to do with this, Mr. Secular Humanist Fanatic?

bluerider
07-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Yes, when working on my own as a remote employee and not actually having to interact with any of my colleagues, we all get on famously.

Sometimes this is a good thing.

archijam
07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Next time I am in Ireland I plan on buying oDDity a beer. :)

j.

Stooch
07-18-2007, 12:04 PM
What does my religious convictions have to do with this, Mr. Secular Humanist Fanatic?

lets just say that your delivery left a lot to be desired. not the convictions per se.

hrgiger
07-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh well, I suppose it's best that Brandonisrad gets a taste of oDDity up front. Helps the pill go down a little easier in the future I figure.

sean hargreaves
07-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Shut up, the lot of you, we've had it up to here, HERE! Me and the cats, enough. What does it take? I've been patient, honest, kind....and what do I get. A page full of rudeness and spite.

I've had it.....I'M LEAVING FOR GOOD!!!!!

sean hargreaves
07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Hmmmm..........

hi

i'm back

hello

Hmmmmmm............guys?

bluerider
07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Next time I am in Ireland I plan on buying oDDity a beer. :)

j.

Not a 24 inch monitor then :D

To much beer and head swiveling could occur.

Brandonisrad
07-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Shut up, the lot of you, we've had it up to here, HERE! Me and the cats, enough. What does it take? I've been patient, honest, kind....and what do I get. A page full of rudeness and spite.

I've had it.....I'M LEAVING FOR GOOD!!!!!

Well that's odd :/

Brandonisrad
07-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Oh well, I suppose it's best that Brandonisrad gets a taste of oDDity up front. Helps the pill go down a little easier in the future I figure.

That oDDity taste a bit old ;}

Steamthrower
07-18-2007, 09:50 PM
What does my religious convictions have to do with this, Mr. Secular Humanist Fanatic?

Have to admit that ''Mr. Secular Humanist Fanatic'' cracked me up. There's a lot of humanists here it seems, 'tis too true. I should look you up sometime, AbnRanger. Then we can have a beer and talk about 3d modeling without pagan interference :)

Stooch
07-19-2007, 12:24 AM
just dont drink too much. or you might accidentally wind up in hell ;)

Brandonisrad
07-19-2007, 12:40 AM
just dont drink too much. or you might accidentally wind up in hell ;)

Lmao

Well that's not good :thumbsdow