PDA

View Full Version : Node Question: Images with Material nodes

Mr Maze
07-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi, I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to on the forums.

I have an object that I am using conductor on, and I want to put an image on it - lets say what would be a painted on label on a can. I want the painted surface of the metal object to look like it is cracked / scratched and worn off in some places, revealing the metal below it.

My question is, (and I have figured out how to put the labeled surface onto the conductor material) can I have an image mapped onto the conductor node and have its own separate specularity and reflection values?

jameswillmott
07-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Material Mixer should be able to help you out here.

Mr Maze
07-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Ok thanks I will try that. Might post back with more questions...

Mr Maze
07-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Well I am trying material mixer but not getting any results. A couple of questions:

Should I use the Standard node to set up my label surface?

Should the label be plugged into the a input of the mixer node, and the conductor node into the b input of the mixer, or vice versa?

Dodgy
07-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Yeah, just use a standard for the label :)

Try em both and see what works :)

Mr Maze
07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks, James and Dodgy. I will have to fire up Viper tonight after work and figure this out - will post up some renders as soon as I have em'

BTW James I like your nodes vids - haven't had time to watch all of them yet, but good so far.

Mr Maze
07-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Well, I figured out that you apply the underlying layer to the b input - in my case, conductor. The 'label' node (made with standard) goes into the a input. The problem is, when I apply the alpha output of my image node into the transparency input of the standard node, it affects the entire material. I am at work now and have to do other stuff in Lightwave that won't involve this but when I get home I will post a few renders I have.

Viper hasn't actually been a whole lot of help on this, it seems unable to accurately show me some nuance with transparency. Is there a way to apply a clip map within nodes instead of trying to drive transparency?

Mr Maze
07-18-2007, 07:45 PM

In the image on the left, the overspray on the top part of the can has no transparency - which results in seeing the bumps, but not the color. Notice that the label area where it has holes you can see through the can.

In the image on the right, transparency has been turned on for the top and the label area.

Example of nodes:

steve0077
07-18-2007, 09:01 PM
That looks like a color node feeding that standard. Was that suppose to be an image node?

steve0077
07-18-2007, 09:11 PM
With an alpha channel of the image feeding the transparency and the the bump feeding the bump

steve0077
07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Somethings I Know - Somethings I Don't

This may be one of the don'ts.

Mr Maze
07-18-2007, 09:42 PM
It is a color node. Is that an incorrect way of doing that? Should I be using an image node instead?

Mr Maze
07-18-2007, 09:50 PM
edit: the color node is using an image map

steve0077
07-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Not sure how material mixer works but it has an alpha channel input with an adjustment that may need some input. Not sure if the adjustments for the a or b input. maybe you can seperate the alpha channel per input to keep it from effecting the other material in the mix.

steve0077
07-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Looks like conductor output to B & standard output to A on the mixer. Color layercolor to standard color input and its alpha channel to mixer alpha input instead of the standard.

steve0077
07-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Or should I say just bring your alpha down from the transparency and attach it to the alpha input on the mixer

Mr Maze
07-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks steve0777 you helped me figure it out. I had the inputs to the mixer backwards - plug the conductor into input a, plug the label(standard) into input b, and plug the alpha output from the image node that feeds the standard node into the alpha input of the mixer. I will post the node tree tonight. Here is a render, I need to adjust my lights a little more and it will be done.

Also last night I realized I probably should have put this thread into the Node forum. Silly me

steve0077
07-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Glad I was able to help. I am just learning myself and I learn sometimes by trying to help solve problems on the forum and seeing how others solve problems. You render of the Mr Maze spraycan logo looks great. Nice work.