PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried using Voice command software with LW?

RTSchramm
07-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Has anyone tried using voice command software with LW? I would like to use a graphics tablet due to problems with carpal tunnel syndrome when using a mouse. The problems with the graphic pad is that most 3D software uses too many hot keys for a graphics tablet limited number of buttons.

Any suggestions?

I was going to try Game Commander 3, but I not sure if it would work on a Windows XP Pro 64 bit System.

Rich

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 09:48 PM
I think that would drive me insane...
box...no BOX...move, move, stop... up...no, no...!
I can see a case of carpal brain coming on :)

prospector
07-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Was using Naturally Speaking

I say was because it was too hard to set up.

It worked BUT everything done in LW has to be tought to Voice command.
If you don't take the time (alot), then commands sometimes open other programs, get ya the wrong tools. put wrong numbers in panels.

StereoMike
07-16-2007, 04:27 AM
Everyone has sooner or later issues with his mouse arm, right? I wonder if there's a way to run this business without this pain. By what I read in other threads so far, quite some people switched to a tablet and it seems to work for them. What if I'm too slow with the tablet (not enough accuracy for e.g. moving a single point to the right place). Are there any painless alternatives?
Did anyone try a Gyration (link (http://www.gyration.com/en-US/ProductDetail.html?modelnum=GC1005M&accshow=3))mouse? They work a) like a normal desk mouse and b) like a pointer in midair (without ground contact).
The driver allows gestures (e.g. swipes) to call custom commands(link (http://www.gyration.com/en-US/GyroTools.html)).

mike

Bytehawk
07-16-2007, 05:24 AM
You're right.

I use a tablet for everything. No more mouse arm :)

If you can, try one.

flakester
07-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Both myself and my colleague use tablets for work - including photoshop and the likes (try drawing a circle with a mouse when you've got used to a tablet!!) and also LW.

I still switch to a mouse when I need point accuracy, though it's for seconds at a time rather than minutes.

The Intuos 3 is a good choice; it has some buttons and a slider on each side of the tablet that you can program to be the ALT / CTRL / SHIFT buttons...... which is handy for left-handers like myself, it stops me doing that weird arm-crossover thing when rotating a perspective view!

hope that helps.

flakester.

RTSchramm
07-16-2007, 07:15 PM
So unless you use some type of voice command, you are stuck using the menu buttons instead of keyboard hot keys, correct?

RIch

Animapper
07-16-2007, 07:48 PM
It took a few days of forcing myself to use it in every situation to get the tablet thing cozy. That was five years ago and I think it saved me having surgery. I was two weeks from getting my right arm worked on when I switched. I was able to cancel the surgery altogether.

Interesting that some find the mouse more accurate for points - I prefer the stylus - different strokes I guess (pun intended).

Regards,

flakester
07-16-2007, 08:51 PM
So unless you use some type of voice command, you are stuck using the menu buttons instead of keyboard hot keys, correct?
RIch

I guess so, either point & click or keyboard shortcuts; though you can exploit the customizable menu feature in LW to save you trawling through tabs and menus time and time again - quite handy if you don't like button tapping.
I never even thought of exploring the voice recognition thing, though - being a Cockney, my diction isn't perfect..... might take some getting used to!

Interesting that some find the mouse more accurate for points - I prefer the stylus - different strokes I guess (pun intended).
Haha, not bad! :thumbsup:
Yeah, at the moment I kind of have to - my tablet isn't one of the kind you can confine to one screen so it's basically running at half res or thereabouts over two monitors. Been promising myself an Intuos 3 for a while - just have to keep sneaking the use of my colleagues one in the meantime when he's not looking!!

flakester.

Beau_M
07-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Mike, you could also try StrokeIt (http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/). Same sort of gesturing idea, but works with any mouse. Tried it a while back, kind of fun to draw all over the screen!

StereoMike
07-19-2007, 03:09 AM
Looks interesting. Have you tried it with LW? Any problems when lasso selecting (RMB) in modeler?

mike

Beau_M
07-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I had another look at it just after posting. It was a little confusing to create a gesture command, but once worked out, it can be done quickly. It uses the rmb for gestures, but if you hold ctrl, it doesn't activate and you can lasso.

ercaxus
07-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Stroke it is great. You can create your own gestures and strokeit will learn them if you teach. I disable it in lightwave but for windows it's very useful. Once you get used to it you feel crippled on another computer.

There are small problems with stroke it though. It crashes every once in a while like any piece of software. Sometimes it doesn't crash but makes something else unresponsive and you don't know it's strokeit until you terminate the process from task manager.

Another thing is it seems like the developer stopped working on it and he's not interested in open sourcing it.