PDA

View Full Version : Sasquatch Lite To Poly :

pumeco
07-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi.

Is it possible to convert Sasquatch Lite hair into polygons?
Yeah I know, noob question :D

jasonwestmas
07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Sas lite and sasquatch is pixel information only, it does not have geometric properties nor can you generate anything geometric from it.

pumeco
07-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks.

So, is there anything available for LightWave 9.2 that'll make polygonal hair possible?
It's just that I prefer polygonal hair because although it's a resource hog, it's open to all surface and render options.

hrgiger
07-15-2007, 04:29 PM
pumeco, there is no 'lightwave' tool per se that will create polygonal hair. But there are several ways to do it anyway.
I have in the past before I had Sasquatch used polygonal planes with textures and clip maps on them and it was decent enough. Not as flexible as Sas but then again, as you mention, it was open to all rendering options such as reflections and shadowing.

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 04:29 PM
You can do it using geometry and texture maps.
Hairblade is a free plugin that can help:
http://d-creation.sakura.ne.jp/plugin/hairblade/index_english.htm

Theres also fiber factory:
http://www.binaryartsinc.com/FiberFactoryIV.htm

pumeco
07-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks all.

I gotta say that FiberFactory looks amazing ... nah ... PERFECT!!!

Could you explain one thing to me though, it's about Radiosity. According to their website, it will not work with Radiosity. Yet even a noob to LightWave like me knows that if it's capable of creating polygonal hair, then it MUST be open to the same surfacing and rendering options as any other polygon in LightWave.

I really don't get it.

SplineGod
07-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Sounds like a good question to ask them :)

jasonwestmas
07-16-2007, 03:18 PM
I believe FFIV comes with a geometric and pixel based form of hair/fibers. If you can create geometry then it will work with the LW Radiosity. It is the pixel based fibers that will not work with Radiosity.

pumeco
07-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks, so it effectively has two modes of operation if I'm understanding you correctly.

Still, I'll email them and see what they say. If it really can work in fully polygonal mode, then it's absolutely perfect. I can hardly wait to get LightWave and a copy of that plugin. I can't imagine any better solution than these two for photorealism.

jasonwestmas
07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Well you have to consider the benefit or limitations of the different techniques based on your needs you realize. For example, polygonal hair is not going to be easy to create dynamics for where as pixel based hair will give you far better dynamic movement using lightwave's cloth dynamics applied to 2point poly chains. If you need fur or short hair then dynamics is easier to apply in general. Not so sure about fur dynamics for FFIV. Sasquatch's fur dynamics are really nice but it's $200 more.

pumeco
07-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Well to be honest, I'm more interested in rendering photoreal still's than animaton. It's the main reason I'm going for LightWave, and hopefully, this plugin. It certainly looks like a vast improvement over my Cinema4D/Shave2.5 setup. I can't tell you how often I've played with 3D and wished for something like what FiberFactory 'appears' to be.

Obviously, I'm interested in learning animation as well. Although it's of secondary importance to me, at least for the time being :)

jasonwestmas
07-16-2007, 06:52 PM
If all you want are stills then all you need are polygons with convincing texture maps. Of course you can touch everything up in a painting program too!

pumeco
07-17-2007, 03:58 AM
Aye, that's not as good for hands-on styling of the hair though.

The method FiberFactory is using wins hands down for me, because it's more 'true' in it's results. Anyway, I'm really hoping they don't email me back with any news to dissappoint. Apart from this Radiosity thing I asked them about, it totally fits what I need.

jasonwestmas
07-17-2007, 06:04 AM
True, most of the tools that makes organic, whispy shapes easier to create cost some mula. I think FFIV is the best deal because you are getting two sets of tools, one is for modeling fibers, the other is for creating pixel based fibers. I haven't seen another package that does both for that price.