PDA

View Full Version : Simple Morph

Weevil
07-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Hello all,

I am trying to morph a cube into a letter of the alphabet. The simple approach is to dice up the cube until it matches the number points of the target object and animate the percentage in the property dialog in Layout. This results in the equivalent of balling up a piece of paper until it remotely resembles the target object. Very ugly.

I am looking for a technique that will morph one simple object into a more complex one without scrambling polygons.

Any ideas?

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Start with the letter. Its going to be the more complex shape. Get it modeled
and then make a cube by tweaking the points in the letter. From there use the background to morph tool.

Weevil
07-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Okay, sounds simple enough. Where is the background to morph tool? It's one of those things that none of the books tell you where it is.

Trevor
07-15-2007, 11:46 AM
modify tab/ transform / more/ BG conform.

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Also the menu editor has a search and find function :)

Weevil
07-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Working a complex object down to a simple one while keeping the point count intact is trickier than I thought. Just one point out of place and you have one of those weird triangular holes. I smell a need for a plugin or am I just being lazy?

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Those triangular holes are non planar polys. Triple the mesh.

Trevor
07-15-2007, 02:36 PM
You could always try using set value, if its a simple cube you wish to morph into, select some points, use detail/ points/set value to constrain them to one plane.
I just tried it on the letter T, took me 1 min.
What letter do you want to morph?

Weevil
07-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Not quite. I want to morph a simple cube into a complex letter (Mona Lisa font). I think SplineGod's solution is on the right track. I have converted the letters into blocks. Now the next trick is to play around with this Background to Morph tool.

Weevil
07-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Okay, I cannot locate this tool. I ran a search on the menu editor and it gave me an error cannot locate command string. I am using 8.5 (64 bit)

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 03:18 PM
In my LW8.5 its located under Map--------morph-------bkgtomorph

Weevil
07-15-2007, 03:22 PM
All I have there are New Endomorph and CreateJointMorph. It must be a custom tool that is not a standard feature.

Trevor
07-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Go to edit menu layout, Point maps,
Or search for it.
The name is Backround to Morph, in full.

Weevil
07-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Nope, it is not there and search cannot find it. I smell a glitch.

Trevor
07-15-2007, 03:48 PM
mmm.
Did you do a full scan of your plugins folder?
Its definatly there, not a third party plugin or anything, its a part of 8.5.

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Its a standard tool. Its either somewhere else, mislabeled or you need to reload your plugins.

Weevil
07-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Okay, I have all but one letter (C) working. I have worked this a few times now and get the same results.

I am using the property panel in Layout using a target letter for the morph target. I am attaching the result. One is the how the letter should look and the other is what I am coming up with.

The technique is taking a letter and shape it into a cube and use the reference letter as the morph target.

What am I doing wrong?:cursin:

Weevil
07-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Its a standard tool. Its either somewhere else, mislabeled or you need to reload your plugins.

I reloaded plugins in Modeler. Some missing plugins were found but not Background to Morph. I ran a hard drive wide search for anything remotely similar to the tool name.

I found nothing. :thumbsdow

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 05:41 PM
after reloading your plugins did you search for it again?
If I go to the edit menu tool I find it under command----point maps-----background to morph

Weevil
07-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Nope, it is not there. I have no other recourse than to reinstall LW.

Weevil
07-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I have finished reinstalling LW 8.5 (64 Bit) and still no sign of that silly tool.

Trevor
07-15-2007, 08:33 PM
To be frank, the tests I have done trying to use background to morph have created more problems with the mesh than its worth.

I dont think you fully understood my previous post, making an morph manually by selecting points, using the set value function (in Modeler) to aid in creating your box shape from your letter,then using morphmixer for your morph.

From my understanding, you want to morph a box into a 3d letter right, like this example?
http://www.ogc-clan.com/images/screens/tmor.avi

If im completly out of the ball park, then never mind, only trying to help.:thumbsup:

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Thats pretty much what I envisioned as well Trevor. :)
You definately have to keep in mind that the morphs are linear.
heres a little example of activating the morph with a texture.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/morph2cube.mov

Trevor
07-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Thats pretty neat.
I like the concept, thanks for sharing.

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks Tevor,
The concept is similar to this one as well:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/morph_text.mov

Weevil
07-16-2007, 04:01 AM
To be frank, the tests I have done trying to use background to morph have created more problems with the mesh than its worth.

I dont think you fully understood my previous post, making an morph manually by selecting points, using the set value function (in Modeler) to aid in creating your box shape from your letter,then using morphmixer for your morph.

From my understanding, you want to morph a box into a 3d letter right, like this example?
http://www.ogc-clan.com/images/screens/tmor.avi

If im completly out of the ball park, then never mind, only trying to help.:thumbsup:

Yes, that is exactly it.

Weevil
07-16-2007, 04:05 AM
btw use 3dd meshrekinitter if you screw up point order

How to use this plugin - select two neighbouring polygons and run the plugin. Then do the same for your morph target making sure you select the same polygons in the same order.

This will only work on objects that share the exact same poly/point count.

http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1070

Sounds like a great plugin. Where is it? I hope it is not another one that everyone else has as a standard tool but I cannot find.

v1u1ant
07-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Weevil,

You will have that plug-in, it will most definitely be there as its part of LW out the box.

open Layout and goto Edit, then goto Edit Menu Layout. a dialog box opens with the option to search amongst other things. Press search, text input box appears, type in 'Backdrop to Morph' (without the speech marks) and you will have the plug-in highlighted either in the left menu list (in which case you have the plug-in but you have not assigned it to a menu yet) or it will apppear in the right under the menu item it is located under.

Infact you can do the search and if it appears on the left then you can press Find and it will show you where it is nested in the menus on the right. If it doesnt find it, again you have not assigned it to a menu tab.

Heres what i searched for: background to morph. Found it straight off the bat.

It wasnt set up in a menu tab so in the same dialog box i found the button 'Add' and in the right hand menu list i navigated to where i wanted that plug-in to reside within the menu structure.

Hope this helps

Weevil
07-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Right, thanks. I'll try that when I get home later. BTW, I notice some members of message board are titled "Registered User." Is this just a member's choice title to say that one is a bonifide owner of LW or is it from a higher source?

Trevor
07-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Yes, that is exactly it.

Ok cool, very easy to do.
Would you like me to knock up a small tutorial, explaing the steps I took to achieve that, or do you think you have it nailed?

Weevil
07-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Ok cool, very easy to do.
Would you like me to knock up a small tutorial, explaing the steps I took to achieve that, or do you think you have it nailed?

Yes, please lay it out for me. Thank you very much!:thumbsup:

Trevor
07-16-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.ogc-clan.com/images/screens/t_tut.jpg
Hope that helps you.

The reason I pulled the points roughly into shape, before using set value, is that if you dont, the polys will just intersect with eachother, and the morph will look terrible.

Weevil
07-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks Trevor. I will try it out when I get home.

Weevil
07-17-2007, 03:01 AM
Weevil,

You will have that plug-in, it will most definitely be there as its part of LW out the box.

open Layout and goto Edit, then goto Edit Menu Layout. a dialog box opens with the option to search amongst other things. Press search, text input box appears, type in 'Backdrop to Morph' (without the speech marks) and you will have the plug-in highlighted either in the left menu list (in which case you have the plug-in but you have not assigned it to a menu yet) or it will apppear in the right under the menu item it is located under.

Infact you can do the search and if it appears on the left then you can press Find and it will show you where it is nested in the menus on the right. If it doesnt find it, again you have not assigned it to a menu tab.

Heres what i searched for: background to morph. Found it straight off the bat.

It wasnt set up in a menu tab so in the same dialog box i found the button 'Add' and in the right hand menu list i navigated to where i wanted that plug-in to reside within the menu structure.

Hope this helps

No, I did a search and it could not find it. This thing is missing completely! :thumbsdow

v1u1ant
07-17-2007, 03:51 AM
wierd

Weevil
07-17-2007, 04:06 AM
http://www.ogc-clan.com/images/screens/t_tut.jpg
Hope that helps you.

The reason I pulled the points roughly into shape, before using set value, is that if you dont, the polys will just intersect with eachother, and the morph will look terrible.

That did it! But I must say, the letter "C" is one of the bigger headaches. I still cannot locate that missing plugin for Background to Morph though.

Many thanks to Trevor and all that helped.

SplineGod
07-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Another option I would look at is to morph some of the more troublesome letters in stages using MTSE morphs (MultiTarget Single Envelope). That way you can have it morph to intermediate stages to avoid overlapping geometry.

Weevil
07-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks SplineGod. I will try that next time but honestly, I hope I do not encounter this for some time. I know, I should not be intimidated and I'm not. I just did not enjoy this little project.