PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Modeler's tools need to be more interactive?

ShawnStovall
07-14-2007, 02:37 AM
I really think they do, things like cut and connect are much more intuitive if you are able to choose which points you want to preform the operation on.

ShawnStovall
07-14-2007, 02:46 AM
needs to be like xsi/modo, pictrix and also be able to interactively move the pivot point of the active tool like in LWCAD & xsi.

everytihing interactive with option to be non interactive for big objects but then it needs to support gigapolys like xsi. its too slow

i still love it though, like an old car :-)

:agree:

ShawnStovall
07-14-2007, 02:48 AM
I think OpenGL needs a lot of work in LightWave(as I'm I'm sure many LW'ers do)and this needs to be worked on before any significant Modeler changes come about.

Sensei
07-14-2007, 03:41 AM
I really think they do, things like cut and connect are much more intuitive if you are able to choose which points you want to preform the operation on.

Cut, Connect and much more in one interactive tool is available for 2 years and 5 months and is called EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.pl.. You just have to click and move mouse between two or more points, or between edges.. New edge between them will appear immediately.. Additionally Fix 5-gon and Fix N-gon options won't let you make sub-patch unfriendly polygons (which would end up as hole, and requiring to switch between sub-patch mode to polygonal, fixing hole and going back to sub-patch mode)..
http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/EasySplit_Knife_Complex.gif

colkai
07-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Abso-fraggin' pos-o-lutely. :) There are many times I curse the lack of interactivity.
Thankfully, with a combination of Pixtrix, Trueart Plugins and LWCAD, a lot of what I do is eased.
Sure would be nice to have some more interactivity natively though.

Andy Webb
07-14-2007, 04:42 AM
I think interactivity is definitely the key to improving modeller tools.

But I also think the UI also needs a good deal of interactivity added to it.

Take the layers panel as an example: why can't we drag and drop layers in the layer panel, select layers and delete them with the other layers automatically moving up etc. Having to use plugins to do this type of thing is plain silly and doesn't work too well.

On the subject of interactivity and layers, why do we need to hold the Shift key when selecting additional layers in the layers panel? If we had a select all and deselect all button then we should be able to just click layers on and off without the need to hold the Shift button, I for one find it a pain and unnecessary.

hrgiger
07-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Did you expect an equal amount of yes's and no's on this one? I just want to know who the 3 people are who don't think tools in modeler need to be more interactive? People just being difficult I suppose....

Karmacop
07-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Having played with the SDK what you really want before interactive tools are
a) an updated core
b) an updated modelling tool class for plugins

ShawnStovall
07-14-2007, 01:28 PM
OpenGL is fine... the issue is not with OpenGL, as has already been explained in a mile long thread. The current speed problem is with the geometry procesing core.

Spin millions of polygons = Speedy OpenGL = Check, we have that!

Edit dense meshed = Slow -> NewTek is well aware of this and they're working on it = Not an issue with OpenGL -> A future update will remedy the old outdated Modeler core.

More interactivity? Yes please!

I remember that discussion now and agree with you, I would also like an interactive History system, where you can go in and choose which things you want to undo, of coarse with the proper exception for the tools that depend on prior modifications.

Lewis
07-14-2007, 01:41 PM
NO, no way, modeler even now have too many interactive tools.

NOT :) :).

erikals
07-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I should have made it a feature request a long time ago, but hey, here it goes...

-Interactive Bevel tool

That'd be nice

erikals
07-15-2007, 10:46 PM
you want to be able to do this.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48141&d=1184407596

Yep. That one is requested :)

Titus
07-15-2007, 11:53 PM
I just want to know who the 3 people are who don't think tools in modeler need to be more interactive? People just being difficult I suppose....

Well, I'm sure there's at least a member of this forum who may say something like: "interactive tools is for sissies" :D

Another vote for interactive modeler :thumbsup: