PDA

View Full Version : Flash Converter Recomendations

GregGerlach
07-13-2007, 02:25 PM
I need a 3rd party program to convert AVI files into Flash/SWF files. Anyone have any recommendations?

UnCommonGrafx
07-13-2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=products&product=video

Tom Wood
07-13-2007, 02:56 PM
The On2 encoder is what came packaged within Flash 8 when I bought the web studio package. To get it separately I think you have to buy it direct from them:

http://www.on2.com/

Click on Store>Flix Pro

$249

I also have Flash 8 so I create the SWF from there, but it looks like Flix Pro will create a SWF as well, which is cool if you don't want to get Flash too.

I've loaded 10+ Gigabyte .avi files into this encoder and it never even blinks.

HTH

Ivan
07-13-2007, 03:17 PM
On2 is the converter that comes with Flash CS3 and the quality improvement over the previous converter is amazing. I wonder if that is the converter Newtek is using with SE.

Ivan

Tom Wood
07-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey Ivan,

Do you work with Flash in CS3? I see my upgrade is about $400 for the stripped down web version - Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, Contribute. I'm wondering if it would be worth it since all the Flash Players are going to Flash 9. If I would get any real benefits. I mostly do video animations that end up as FLV files.

Ivan
07-13-2007, 04:11 PM
I just bought the CS3 Web Pro package new because I moved to a faster Mac from PC and though I have not done Flash in quite a while CS3 seems like a great upgrade especially if you go with the Pro package. As you know I am big into integration of apps and Adobe really seems to have hit it. If you do any work in Illustrator or PS these will import more easily into Flash according to Adobe. I don't really know what they did before but what they do now works great. Photoshop layers are imported as layers (Newtek? here is a hint, it is cool to make a graphic in PS and animate the layers elsewhere) I think they also brought back some feature in Action Scripts that makes them easier to write. And as I said, the encoder from On2 looks quite a bit better than the old encoder that they used, I think the old one was a stripped version of Sorenson. Also think about PhotoshopCS3 Extended, lots of cool features for video. Check out some of the online turoials at
TAdobe (http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/)
and you will be able to see if the upgrade is worth it for your workflow. I know it has been for mine so far.

Ivan

Rich Deustachio
07-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Canopus ProCoder 3 converts to Flash.

tmon
07-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Sorensen Squeeze here.....

SachaG01
07-16-2007, 03:10 AM
Procoder 3 will only convert to Flash 7 (sorenson), not VP6 - Procoder 2 won't even do that, but we have had some limited success with the On2 plugin but it only works in single pass. I believe Squeeze is better suited if you are planning on doing lots of Flash work, especially VP6.

If you are on a limited budget (i.e. $0) , this will create FLV MPEG2 files for you (which aren't as good as either of the dedicated flash codecs)

http://www.rivavx.com/?encoder

Sacha.

janello
07-16-2007, 11:51 AM
This work great for me.

http://www.snosh.net/

janello
07-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Speed Edit flash is pretty basic compared to the commercial versions.

ScorpioProd
07-19-2007, 03:26 PM
SpeedEDIT's flash support doesn't include the latest flash codecs, only an older one.

Tom Wood
07-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Even the ON2 VP6 codec that comes with Flash 8 is slightly crippled when compared to the standalone from ON2. It doesn't let you save profiles that let you easily load presets, although it does remember the last settings used, sometimes.

Speaking of codecs, the tech folks at mytoons.com suggested I install the K-Lite codec pack http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/ in order to resolve an audio problem I'm having with the mytoons uploader. But the K-Lite install directions say: "It is highly recommended to uninstall all existing codec related software before installing."

No way I'm going down that road. Tech at mytoons said that can be safely ignored. Anyone tried that?

ScorpioProd
07-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't have personal experience with k-lite, but that has been recommended by others around here a number of times, including, I believe, John Perkins from Newtek.

You might want to confirm it with John directly.

GregGerlach
01-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I purchased Flix from on2 and was able to successfully encode files but yesterday I received this error:

"Flix encountered an error reading the audio stream data"

The .avi type 2 had been rendered from the timeline and Flix would stop near the end of the encoding. I repeated, thinking it was a fluke but I was able to recreate this problem consistently. I tried rendering just the ending where the problem seemed to be occurring and Flix encoded it OK. Anyone else ever get this error message?

kamra
02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I need a 3rd party program to convert AVI files into Flash/SWF files. Anyone have any recommendations?

we convert quite a bit to flash and have used a sleugh of encoding programs from Flix Pro to Flix Live (it allows live streaming in flash as well as live encoding), Adobe's Flash Media Encoder (also does live stream as well as live encode for archiving), Brightcove.com's Publishpod application for MAC & PC (Sorenson codec on MAC... more blocky than the VP6 codec used on PC), to Moyea's flash media converter. I haven't yet tried out the CS3 encoder, but we are hoping to start using it soon.

So far, the best results have been with Flix Pro or Brightcove's Publishpod utility, mainly because of two-pass encoding. The only drawback is that on a PC, Brightcove doesn't allow you to save the FLV file..., but it will create it in a temporary folder before being uploaded to their servers. On the MAC... Brightcove does allow you to save the FLV since it uses the older Sorensen Spark codec.

Flix live has been great for us (we don't use the streaming aspect), but it's single-pass only. Nice thing about Publishpod & Flix Pro is that you can have it do a two-pass scan resulting in a slightly less blocky clip.

All of these cost money, except Brightcove's Publishpod.

GregGerlach
02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I like Flix but like I said two posts previous to this one, I've had one .avi clip that did not encode all the way. I see on the Flix forum that other people have had the same problem. On2 says it is a codec problem, so I'm wondering if anyone else who is using Flix might recommend a good codec. Currently, I'm using the Main Concept codec 2.3.1. This might be too out of date for Flix.

Richvideo
02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I spent my Sunday trying to figure out how to get HD quality footage on a webpage from the Ex cam footage that I shot on Saturday.

I know that Itunes is now selling HD downloads and Divx has HD streaming online-but Divx needs a plug in to work

I had heard that the most recent version of Flash can play H.264 (MP4 type of codec) in HD
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/h264/

So I gave it a try
Loaded the footage in VT5 then rendered it out as a HD Quicktime file. I then could load it into Sorenson Squeeze (4.5) and used the pro H.264(MP4) encoder to create the file.
It took well over two hours to encode this clip with my dual 3.07 gigahertz Intel Xeons -If I had a quad processor that would have cut down the encoding time

I renamed the MP4 extension of the file to FLV so the browser's Flash player would recognize it. Flash can understand that it is H.264 regardless that the extension says it is a FLV file.

I then uploaded a Flash player to my server - You can't just upload a FLV file like you can with a WMV or MOV , it needs a script and player to work- I had a free one to play around with.

I thought that it came out well
Check it
http://theeventvideopros.com/HDFLASH/FLVPlayer/mediaplayer.html

Richvideo
02-11-2008, 06:56 PM
If the HD footage does not play you need to update your Flash player-H.264 was only added in December to Flash