PDA

View Full Version : relinking files

vppaul
02-20-2003, 08:37 PM
I can not seem to find a simple way to relink files that were moved to another drive. I tried searching for info but came up empty can anyone help me out.

Thanks

tmon
02-20-2003, 08:49 PM
squeak the wheel on the "features requests" board....;)

vppaul
02-20-2003, 09:37 PM
I'm speechless!!!

Jim Capillo
02-21-2003, 10:41 AM
You can simply use the inherit function on your project and then resave after you've dropped all the clips from their new location on top of the old ones.

mgrusin
02-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Inheriting the "new" clips into the old project does work, hopefully you don't have hundreds of them. (Lesson: have all your clips in their proper places before starting to edit. I've learned this one the hard way myself.)

You could also look into this utility, which claims to be able to move Toaster projects (disclaimer, this post from the old forums is all I know): http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/4/35950.html?1043429088

(You got me thinking so I looked at a TEd project file with a hex editor. In the past I've been able to hand-modify ToasterCG projects, since the files are pure ASCII, a great boon to anyone who needs to deal with low-level details like resource paths. Plus one for Newtek. Unfortunately it appears that TEd project files are not pure ASCII :( , so although you might be able to change the paths with a hex editor (you can see them in there), there's a good chance you'd mess it up. Minus one for Newtek, though I'm sure they have their reasons.)

-MG

vppaul
02-21-2003, 09:32 PM
The inherit function is okay for a few files but when you get into hundreds over various shows it becomes a couple of days work. I tried changing the path in the project file with a replace function but after saving Toaster said it was an invalid file. Well at least it showed me the original paths so I could move the files back. People with long term clients should take care! I won't bother Newtek with this problem I want them to finish batch capture and work on the audio first.

Thanks for all the help!