PDA

View Full Version : not enough memory for object polygon data

arrow1234
07-13-2007, 12:28 AM
hi everyone, lately i am trying to model a building. the total number of its poly count is like 160k, nothing wrong with it. However, when i turn up the sub-patched level of a layer(which i have to), it will say "not enough memory for object polygon data" and "the mesh could not be generated at the current subdivision level. the level will be reset to one".

is the poly count too high?? or have i set something wrong??
anyway u can bypass this? like increase your memory buffer in lightwave?

my cpu spec: intel pentium 3ghz HT, 1.5 gb ram, ati radeon x1300

thank you very much

3D Kiwi
07-13-2007, 01:11 AM
I get this as well, is it lightwave running out of memory or your machine, the reason i ask is when it happens to me the machine is only using about 1.6gig out of 2 gig of memory. Does lightwave have a limit to how much it can use???

3D Kiwi
07-13-2007, 01:39 AM
so if my task manager say it is useing 1.7gig, (im talking about the PF Usage graph) then the rest is used by window some how????

Jarno
07-13-2007, 02:02 AM
When you run out of memory, it actually means that LW can't allocate the amount of memory that it wants. Say you have 0.3GB free, but LW wants to allocate a block of 0.31GB for geometry data. Then that will fail, even though there is still some memory available.

---JvdL---

Sensei
07-13-2007, 02:17 AM
If I understood you correctly, you have 160,000 sub-patches, not polygons (because Modeler never show you how many polygons frozen object will have, unless you freeze it).. So, 160,000 traditional sub-patches frozen at level 5 (default LW value) is 4 mln polys, at level 6 it's 5.76 mln.. But CC sub-patches it's at level 3= 10.24 mln, at level 4 = ~41 mln and level 5 =~164 mln... What Sub-D Type do you have set?

arrow1234
07-13-2007, 02:22 AM
omg, we are talking about at least 1 GB ram, my cpu spec has 1.5 gb ram, you guys have 2 gb or even 4gb ram, what kinda stuff will take up that much memory for rendering in LW?
anyway, yes, i tried rendering with low level sub-patched level, like 5, and it had no problem. Then i tried highering sub-patched level, like 15, it gave me the error message. so do you mean lowering the sub-patched level is the only choice in my situation? is there any other method?

btw if you got 4gb ram, mind try rendering this one for me? its just a test, and if it works with ur 4gb, i may go out and buy the 3 gb ram i need :) :)

Sensei
07-13-2007, 02:29 AM
160,000 traditional sub-patches at level 15 would end up as 36 mln polygons! Do you think so single poly is eating 1 byte or so??? If it's eating 100 bytes, it would be 3.6 GB of memory just for polygons data! Not to mention anything else in the scene.. like KD-Tree, render buffers etc. etc. 3.6 GB would be even twice as much unless you have 64 bit machine..

arrow1234
07-13-2007, 06:15 AM
ok wait, i apologized i didnt tell u all my situation, the buildings i am modelling have totally 150k polys, only 4k poly are sub-patched. these 4k polys are lawn, so their subpatch level need to be high. This is the only way i know how to simulate lawn, there is a video tutorial on newtek training section teaching u how to do that. i will post a screen of what i am trying to do.

hmm. from what i remember, 32-bit OS /machine supports upto 4gb ram, isnt it???? 64 bit os / machine supports 8 gb ram, no? anyway fix me if i m wrong

and yes i dont think lightwave has 64 bit version XD. i dont like 64 bit machine, all the software on it will need to be 64 bit version for fully benefits. And 64 bit version software is not really that popular yet -____-

dballesg
07-13-2007, 07:03 AM
ok wait, i apologized i didnt tell u all my situation, the buildings i am modelling have totally 150k polys, only 4k poly are sub-patched. these 4k polys are lawn, so their subpatch level need to be high. This is the only way i know how to simulate lawn, there is a video tutorial on newtek training section teaching u how to do that. i will post a screen of what i am trying to do.

hmm. from what i remember, 32-bit OS /machine supports upto 4gb ram, isnt it???? 64 bit os / machine supports 8 gb ram, no? anyway fix me if i m wrong

and yes i dont think lightwave has 64 bit version XD. i dont like 64 bit machine, all the software on it will need to be 64 bit version for fully benefits. And 64 bit version software is not really that popular yet -____-

Hi,

I think you can save a LOT of polygons using Sasquatch lite to do your lawn.

We have here ALL (7 of them) 64 bits machines with windows XP 64 and 4 GB RAM each and all our 32 bits software works fine on them.

Windows 32 bits supports up to 2GB (3Gb with a special switch that you can change in the boot.ini if I remember well)

Windows 64 bits supports up to 16Gb of memory if I remeber well.

And YES, there is a 64 bits version of Lightwave! :) But not all the plugins for LW exists on 64 bits versions yet.

Best regards,
David

arrow1234
07-13-2007, 07:08 AM
wow didnt know that, gotta wiki it~ thx for the info,

lol forgot to post the pic,
http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32099_ertrt_122_777lo.JPG

Sande
07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
these 4k polys are lawn, so their subpatch level need to be high. This is the only way i know how to simulate lawn, there is a video tutorial on newtek training section teaching u how to do that.
I haven't seen that particular tutorial, but it sounds like a bit silly way to create grass. Like said, I'd probably use Sasquatch (even the bundled lite-version will do) or if that isn't an option, I'd go for small textured polyplanes with alpha-channel. I mostly work with lowpoly and you can achieve quite convincing grass with that method - depending a bit on your camera-angle.

arrow1234
07-13-2007, 07:29 PM
-___- i didnt know sas came with lightwave, last time i searched for it and it said u have to buy it, anyway thanks for the info, i just tried saslite and it worked great. it will save hella lot of poly for me :) :)

btw the video tut i mentioned is here:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Videos/FurDisplacement.mov

from the page:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/videos/

good day~

Matt
07-13-2007, 09:00 PM
32bit operating system, because of the 2 gb-limitation from microsoft xp, so even if you have 4 gig there should be problems...

I'm using XP Pro 32bit with 4GB RAM using the 3GB switch in my Boot.ini, Windows sees 3.4GB of it.

arrow1234
07-14-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm using XP Pro 32bit with 4GB RAM using the 3GB switch in my Boot.ini, Windows sees 3.4GB of it.
is this considered "some kinda hacks" as someone's quote in the following?

2Gb adressing space per application is the limitation of 32-bit technology, there's some ugly hacks, but I don't consider them as viable....

Surrealist.
07-14-2007, 06:09 AM
You also have to remember that the 2Gig limit is per program - as mentioned already I think here. So having 3 gigs gives you the head room to run Windows and have plenty left over for LW to use up a full 2 gigs.