PDA

View Full Version : what is next after 9.2?

ufo3d
07-12-2007, 08:58 PM
would the news be annouced in Siggraph this year?

Andyjaggy
07-12-2007, 09:12 PM
One would certainly hope for some info!

Nicolas Jordan
07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I would bet we should here some kind of official announcement about 9.5. Things have been quiet for a while now since 9.2 release and the patch release for 9.2 is probably nearing release now. I really don't think Siggraph will pass by without some kind of major announcement from Newtek on Lightwave.

Andyjaggy
07-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I try not to get my hopes too high. I'll still be awaiting anxiously though.

colkai
07-13-2007, 02:32 AM
I'd actually prefer a 9.3 announcement, because unless some heavy work is done, I think a 9.5 tag would be, at present, premature for what work lies ahed to make LW9 the kick ***** program it needs to be.

Matt
07-13-2007, 03:05 AM
I'm guessing a 9.2.1 patch, but I doubt a v10 announcement would be made, too far ahead IMO. Would be great though!

colkai
07-13-2007, 04:26 AM
To be honest, I would be major league disappointed if they announced a LW10 at this point, seeing as LW9 is nowhere near complete.

If they do announce LW10 and slide development from LW9 to LW10, I can guarantee you one upgrade that won't be purchased.

Maxx
07-13-2007, 04:55 AM
I'd actually prefer a 9.3 announcement, because unless some heavy work is done, I think a 9.5 tag would be, at present, premature for what work lies ahed to make LW9 the kick ***** program it needs to be.
Quoted for agreement.

Nicolas Jordan
07-13-2007, 08:23 AM
9.2.1 the final patch release, and the announcement of 9.5 or 10

My guess is that Lightwave 10 is at least a couple years way or longer if they intend to have most of Lightwave overhauled during the 9x cycle.

T-Light
07-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I made a prediction last year that LW 10 would be announced this year. If Newtek hadn't put so much into 9.2 I'd be confident that would still be the case, now I'm not so sure.

If Newtek were predictable by history they'd show 9.5 at Siggy and the potential for v10, BUT, the 9.2 beta cycle makes me wonder. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a v10 but I won't be disheartened at a v9.5 with full CA.

We'll see.

Matt
07-13-2007, 03:53 PM
<< Imagines all the NewTek staff laughing at this thread saying "v10? Hahaha, we're on v11 internally!"

:D

hrgiger
07-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm really hoping for a 9.3. As echoed above, there are some things I would really like to see addressed before a 9.5 is talked about.

T-Light
07-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Giger -

I'm really hoping for a 9.3. As echoed above, there are some things I would really like to see addressed before a 9.5 is talked about.
Oh man, you Goth!, think positive you fellah, great things will happen.

If not, I got so p*ss*d off with the availale 3D painting software that I started writing my own last week. I'm guessing Newtek will better me come two weeks, we'll see. :)

T-Light
07-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Here's a quicky pic of where I'm going.

JamesCurtis
07-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey T-light,

If you're really serious about what you posted, then, I wish you all the best in completing this!! Looking good!! let me know when its at a stage for external testing!1

T-Light
07-13-2007, 11:09 PM
It's very alpha James, but it's serious.

It came about with the recent hexagon thread. Hex is a decent bit of software but it doesn't work the way I want it to. Thing is the principles are easy to implement, so I went for it. Basically you draw on the UV on the left and your efforts are shown in real time on the right. I've just been sick to death of skipping to photoshop and back to draw textures, this lets you paint in realtime and see the results, it includes base colour, specular and normal mapping (real time normal drawing - it's weird but it works). It's all drawn by 9.c shaders (so... no mac versions, sorry chaps).

There's a few caveats, the main one is exporting your work as a directx model, (not a serious problem), but I'm almost there, give me a week or two to get the bugs out, and a more robust interface :)

T-Light
07-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Here's another pic, this time with specular and normal activated in the shader.

Nicolas Jordan
07-14-2007, 12:21 AM
I have to say that program of yours there looks pretty cool!:)

ShawnStovall
07-14-2007, 01:13 AM
I'd be very disappointed if I saw a "LightWave v10 Alpha" at SIGGRAPH(rather hear about it seeing as I'm not going to be there). I would definitely like to see more work on the node editor as well as tuning up the OpenGL, and of coarse the CA system. And maybe make some of the tools a little more interactive, for example the cut tool or for adding the ability to connect two points in Modeler with the connect tool. In general I think that LightWave is no where near ready for the suffix "v10".

Nicolas Jordan
07-14-2007, 01:42 AM
I really hope we get to see things like instancing done natively inside Lightwave soon. It is already being done by 3rd party which is great, but I really think things like this should be done inside Lightwave without having to spend more money on 3rd party plugins.

Another area I would like to see worked on soon is the UV tools. Sure plg plugins are great but I think there should still be a few more well implemented native UV tools similar to what we see in Modo but maybe even more innovative.

I have a feeling that the only reason some of these features have not been implemented is only because the Lightwave dev team is still laying down the foundation work so that features will be more innovative and not just another plugin that needs to be maintained with each new release.

I'm hoping the next major beta is around the corner! :beta:

T-Light
07-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Suppose it's anyone's guess at the minute, 9.2 was massive, if Newtek has a mind to make each point release on that scale we've got a way to go before 9.5 or 10. On the other hand, NT is a commercial company and point releases don't bring in the kind of dollars a full release will.

Suppose the next few weeks will tell.

T-Light
07-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Suppose it's anyone's guess at the minute, 9.2 was massive, if Newtek has a mind to make each point release on that scale we've got a way to go before 9.5 or 10. On the other hand, NT is a commercial company and point releases don't bring in the kind of dollars a full release will.

Suppose the next few weeks will tell.

T-Light
07-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Fair enough.

Nicolas Jordan
07-14-2007, 08:54 AM
I would guess that the 9-10 dev cycle will be at least three as long as the 8-9 cycle considering the amount of improvements from 9.0-9.2 and the amount of time it took. I am very curious to see where Lightwave will be at 9.5 and 10.

That's a good point neverko about additional people upgrading to 9 when they saw what 9.2 offered. As we go through the 9 cycle there will probably be lots more people climbing aboard the 9x bandwagon.

hrgiger
07-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Yes, I'm hoping people aren't expecting a 9.5 or a 10 at Siggraph. They're not even done with 9.2 yet... I do hope for some news though on what we can expect next.

JeffrySG
07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Yeah, my guess is that they will be really hyping 9.2 all the way at Sig07... and maybe during some talks or presentations (not sure if Jay Roth is speaking) they'll talk about the future of the 9.x cycle but won't really give any specifics away.

The 9.2Mac UB isn't even fully out of OpenBeta yet, and I think they have so many plans for major changes over the 9.x cycle... I would imagine that they will have to live in the 9.2 glory for a little bit more and maybe next year they can start actually talking about a 9.3 or 9.5 release with new features...

...but it sure would be nice to even hear of a few things they're actually working on.... ;)

AbnRanger
07-14-2007, 12:41 PM
If you look at LW 9's unveiling at Siggraph '05, the development cycle of 8 was pretty much where 9 is today. The full release didn't come out of the oven til almost a year later...that's why I think we'll see a glimpse of 10. Unless they are WWWAAAYYY behind in their own development projections.

I remember Jay saying they were going to take their time on improving the Character Animation tools/system, but can someone provide a quote where he "promised" it would be delivered in the 9.x cycle?
I hope they arrive before 10, but I don't expect a major system change of that level on a point update.

Lewis
07-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Let it be 9.4 and then 9.6 so we "skip" .5 this time ;) ;).

Nicolas Jordan
07-14-2007, 01:01 PM

That could very well be what they do since they have so many areas of the program to develop and work on yet.

It amazed me at how much Lightwave improved from 9.0-9.2. With most other 3D programs such as Maya they go from 8.0-8.5 and add only 6 or 7 features with half of them being useless to 90% of the users and they customers have to pay a large chunk of $$$ on top of getting lackluster update in order to keep there license up to date.

AbnRanger
07-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey T-Light, you definitely have something there! :thumbsup:
If you can implement paths/splines to use for hard edged decals and shapes, plus blending modes, you have the making's of a plugin many of us are anxious for and willing to buy (seeing that it would be a first to be integrated inside the LW interface).
It'll probably be some time before LW takes this up themselves. I know I'm not counting on it from them.

3djack
07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
That could very well be what they do since they have so many areas of the program to develop and work on yet.

It amazed me at how much Lightwave improved from 9.0-9.2. With most other 3D programs such as Maya they go from 8.0-8.5 and add only 6 or 7 features with half of them being useless to 90% of the users and they customers have to pay a large chunk of $$$ on top of getting lackluster update in order to keep there license up to date.

Mya 8.x not only have several features, but also a lot of bugs, Thanks autodesk.

cagey5
07-18-2007, 03:43 PM
If you look at LW 9's unveiling at Siggraph '05, the development cycle of 8 was pretty much where 9 is today. The full release didn't come out of the oven til almost a year later...that's why I think we'll see a glimpse of 10. Unless they are WWWAAAYYY behind in their own development projections.

I remember Jay saying they were going to take their time on improving the Character Animation tools/system, but can someone provide a quote where he "promised" it would be delivered in the 9.x cycle?
I hope they arrive before 10, but I don't expect a major system change of that level on a point update.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=527605&postcount=66

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=419107&postcount=15

cresshead
07-18-2007, 08:01 PM
whatever they call it...9.2.1 or 9.99.9...would like to hear or see where they are heading for character animation and subobject modeling/animation in layout
to see if there will be a history/stack like that of maya,xsi,max or still the modifiy/die [no going back] like ''dodo''

T-Light
07-19-2007, 08:54 PM
AbnRanger-

Hey T-Light, you definitely have something there!
If you can implement paths/splines to use for hard edged decals and shapes, plus blending modes, you have the making's of a plugin many of us are anxious for and willing to buy (seeing that it would be a first to be integrated inside the LW interface).
Wouldn't that be FAB :D
I wasn't working on a LW plugin unfortunately, but a seperate app, I'll let you know where it's going and when it's somewhere near completion.

jasonwestmas
07-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey Yeah, what's with all the odd numbers NT?

I would comment on the "What's behind the curtain" but I'll save that for the beta forums. There are things cooking, but nobody knows for certain. A lot of experimental projects in the works, is my impression, even back during the 9.0 days.

Lewis
07-20-2007, 02:13 AM
I remeber that 5.6c was excellent so why not 9.4 and 9.6 too ;)

cresshead
07-20-2007, 06:40 AM
i'm really looking forward to lightwave 9.6c.....
.6c will mean it's rock solid AND feature rich!

:lwicon: :D