PDA

View Full Version : Skelegon tree and the cruel true?

ben martin
07-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Ok,
I admit that I'm doing my very first approach to RIG in Lightwave and probably I'm doing something wrong, but….

In the attached image you can find a RIG and the Skeleton tree open.
My problem is that when I select the Skelegon tree bone/skelegon names I was expecting that the proper bone/skelegon become also selected in the modeler.

Such does not happen!!! Incredible!
How is it supposed that anyone can rename the bones/skelegons using the Skelegon tree if we have no visual help regarding if we are indeed renaming/selecting the correct bone in the tree?
This is with a simple hierarchy; now imagine something much more complex!

Oh boy, am I doing something wrong or is this the cruel true?

Dodgy
07-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm afraid this is the cruel truth. I use Rename Skelegon (Setup>Skelegons>RenameSkelegons) to name the top of each branch so I know what branch is which, then open the editor to rename the rest.

Alternatively, there's the skelegon editor from www.dstorm.co.jp which gives more features.

Once you've rigged one character though, you can use that scene, along with copying the skelegons to another character, and my updatebones plugin to resize the rig to fit your new character.

ben martin
07-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Dhoooo... bad one!
Oh well, the need is the mother of the invention, let's improvise then!

Many thanks about the tips. :)

colkai
07-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I go with Skelegon Editor, it's everything the Skelegon tree wasn't but should of been.
Plus, it allows re-parenting whic hcan be read by the reader plugin in layout, so you're not tied to the forced structure of how it is set in modeller.

ben martin
07-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm going to try Skelegon Editor also. Just download it! :bowdown:

By the way colkai, sorry to bother you again about Motion Builder but I’m not being able to get a correct workflow between Lightwave and MBuilder using your nice skeleton “MB_Skeleton_NoToes.lwo”.

The “LeftUpLeg” and the “RightUpLeg” are not parented to the “Hips” and after (FBX) export it to MBuilder the “LeftUpLeg” and “RightUpLeg” are always left behind.
I can parent them to the Hips in MBuilder easily but isn’t that going to screw-up the parenting hierarchy when exported back to Lightwave?

Anyway, even without messing around with the parenting hierarchy, after animate it in MBuilder and exported it (FBX) back to Lightwave it does not animate the “MB_Skeleton_NoToes.lwo” in Lightwave (I’m using Merge FBX to load the animation).

The "Import FBX" loads the animation all right but the bones are left behind complety out of order (a real mess) and only the nulls are animated!
I’m sure I’m doing something very wrong!
I already read all the manuals and tutorials I’d found but definitively I’m not being able to make this method to work!

Do you have any special workflow? :help:

Many thanks for your time and patience! :thumbsup:

colkai
07-13-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm going to try Skelegon Editor also. Just download it! :bowdown:

By the way colkai, sorry to bother you again about Motion Builder but I’m not being able to get a correct workflow between Lightwave and MBuilder using your nice skeleton “MB_Skeleton_NoToes.lwo”.

The “LeftUpLeg” and the “RightUpLeg” are not parented to the “Hips” and after (FBX) export it to MBuilder the “LeftUpLeg” and “RightUpLeg” are always left behind.
Ahh, my bad, sorry, the hips need to be parented within Layout before export.
Give me a bit, buy at work, but I'll put together a scene / object with the 'final' layout for you to analyse.

It is simple..honest :thumbsup:

ben martin
07-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Wow, :boogiedow you are just great! Many thanks!

colkai
07-13-2007, 04:30 AM
No worries, BeeVee is at me to put up a definitive tutorial at the Lightwave Wiki for this sort of thing as so many folks ask about it.
Once I get some time, I'll do just that as it's easy to forget steps and there are some little things you need to look for.
Meantime, I'll poke around my HD at lunch and "up" a basic set of scenes for you to parse. If these don't work with your version of MB and the FBX plugin, then it points to a version difference of action.

blueshift
07-13-2007, 05:14 AM
Hi ! I'm new to skelegons and the tree as well but I thought I'd explain what seems to me a fairly simple method. I've attached a few screen shots to explain. The object is the giraffe character I created from Dan Ablans inside LW 8. When I completed the skelegon tute from the DVD I found I had six bone 01's. I opened the polygon statistics panel clicked the drop down menu to the right of the parts listing and clicked on bone 01. Then cliked on the + in front of parts and this highlights the six bones named 01. I then deselected five of the bones leaving the one I knew I wanted to name FR_Spine and clicked on rename skelegon named it and OK. When I open the tree again the new name is listed then at the root(as the parent of that chain). Then back to polgon stats, Parts, bone 01 and +. now five bones highlight I deselected four bones and renamed the remaining one FR_left shoulder. Then again polygon stats, parts, bone 01 and +. Now only four highlight deselected three and named the one remaining FR_Right_shoulder. I did the same for the remaining three bone 01's. Now that all six bone 01's have been identified I can rename all the remaining bones directly in the skelegon tree just following down the chain I.E. under FR_Left_Shoulder would be bone 02 I change to FR_upper_Left_Leg, bone 03 FR_Lower _left_Leg, bone 04 FR_Left_Hoof ETC.

This may be a method that is more time consuming than necessarry (I haven't had the time yet to explore these plugins mentioned here but I will) but this seems to work for me.
Just thought I'd try to help now that I'm just beginnig to have some answers to offer.

blueshift
07-13-2007, 05:32 AM
Finding I have one chain in the tree for the spine going up the neck and down the tail Ido the same, polygon stats, bone 02 and deselect allbut the rump bone and rename that. and bone 02 again and name it neck_B2(bone 2) ETC. ETC.

ben martin
07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Don't suffer any more and do yourself a favor, use skelegon editor from "www.dstorm.co.jp", its free!