PDA

View Full Version : Essential Lightwave v9: Warner Arrived!

rdolishny
07-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Amazon lists this as shipping at the end of August 2007 but our copy just arrived today. Thanks Newtek and especially thanks Wordware!

This books looks great, nearly 1000 pages which should compliment my Ablan 9.2 book quite nicely. I'm taking a week off so some reading is in order!

I got this through the upgrade to 9.2 with training material bundle. I'm getting material shipped to me almost every day this week! Good promo, Newtek.

- Rick

jaf
07-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes, I got my copy a couple days ago. I finished Dan's book and now have started on this one. Both books are very good (from my new to LW perspective.) This book has tips that Dan's book didn't so I believe both are excellent choices.

I especially like the 9.2 videos that come on the Essentials DVD.

Don't know what Amazon's problem is, but they have been really dropping the ball with their Lightwave books. Wordware has a nice discount an has been very efficient handling my orders.

mattmgut
07-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Amazon's message:

We're writing about the order you placed on July 14 2007 09:03 PDT
(Order# 000-000-000-000-00). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has
changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Steve Warner (Author) "Essential LightWave v9: The Fastest and
Easiest Way to Master LightWave 3D" [Paperback]
Estimated arrival date: 08/30/2007 - 09/01/2007

I will go to Wordware. Thanks.

Garyrw
07-22-2007, 09:58 AM
My copy just arrived too. Thank you Amazon! :) (and LW and Wordware get props as well). But for s***s and giggles I compared the relative thickness of the Essential LW [8] and 9... the [8] book is only about 3/4 the thickness of the 9... still looking forward to pouring through it. I just dabbled in the sections on edge beveling and orthographic cameras (OK, OK, the pictures attract me...LOL) and already I feel a little smarter.

Or...maybe that was the corn flakes and iced coffee...haha

~3DG.
__
"Blessed are the polygons, for they shall inherit the mesh."

kopperdrake
07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Would any of you guys recommend one of these over the other for a seasoned Lw'er?

Garyrw
07-22-2007, 06:09 PM
I'd consider both to be worth your while, but if I *had* to choose (and if you are more experienced) I would suggest the 'Essential...' book since it is more condensed 'how-to' format would probably suit you better. Rather than read about how Lightwave works and how to access the Numeric tool, for example. Dan's book is great but it's more of a 'give you more broad based structure' to follow on a project, etc. But if it's lots of little things I get the feeling the Essential book is going to be worth it for you.

For me, both are essential and despite their differences I keep both nearby within arms reach now and do some consulting from time to time as I work through projects.

HTH!
~3DG.
___

JeffrySG
07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
I'd consider both to be worth your while, but if I *had* to choose (and if you are more experienced) I would suggest the 'Essential...' book since it is more condensed 'how-to' format would probably suit you better. Rather than read about how Lightwave works and how to access the Numeric tool, for example. Dan's book is great but it's more of a 'give you more broad based structure' to follow on a project, etc. But if it's lots of little things I get the feeling the Essential book is going to be worth it for you.

For me, both are essential and despite their differences I keep both nearby within arms reach now and do some consulting from time to time as I work through projects.

HTH!
~3DG.
___

Yeah, I have them both but I would have to suggest "Essential" for the more experienced user. But they both have hours and hours of great videos - that cover many new 9.2 features as well... look through the disc contents and the table of contents to see what would be a better fit for you... I'm glad I got them both, but I'm fairly new to LW....

kopperdrake
07-23-2007, 04:33 AM
Thanks for that guys - I'll go and order a copy now I think. It's just to get me up to speed on all the new things in 9.2 I just haven't had time to find out by sitting and playing :) Feels like a massive upgrade already and I know I've only personally scratched the surface! :thumbsup: