PDA

View Full Version : Mapping text onto a human figure

jmkupka
07-12-2007, 08:35 AM
After the copy is all positioned correctly on UVs, I will alpha it out in the transparancy channel and all you'll see is the text following the contour of a body.
The object started out as a Poser figure (it's what the client gave me), looks like the polys came over just fine.
In sub-d mode, I apply the .bmp text to the UV map & the body disappears, leaving huge planar shapes behind (these planes can't be selected, they're just artifacts on the screen.)
The body comes back if I turn off sub-d's, but I need 'em.
It also looks ok in Layout, but then I can't adjust my UV's.
Is this a memory thing?

jmkupka
07-12-2007, 08:40 AM
This is what I'm working towards... this is planar projection & you see the need for UV on the side...

SplineGod
07-12-2007, 09:39 AM
This is going to be difficult to pull off properly. Youll have problems with getting the UVs unwrapped and flattened to work with the text properly plus youll still have distortions in some areas.

Dodgy
07-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Did you merge points and unify polys after you got this mesh? Did any sort of poly clean up?

jmkupka
07-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Dodgy-
Apparantly some housekeeping is standard procedure that should be followed. Didn't know about that...
Per your suggestion, merged points (eliminated 1000+ points), unified polys (none eliminated).
Still get this artifacting, just by doing simple things like assigning the entire model a new surface name.

Larry-
Bad news from you... just finished your tutes on UV mapping & thought I had a chance tackling this project.

simpfendoerfer
07-14-2007, 10:46 AM
I did things like this. But I used a low poly Poser model from Poser4. Then I spent hours bringing the UVs in order. It would not have been possible with a High poly count Poser figure.

SplineGod
07-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Dodgy-
Apparantly some housekeeping is standard procedure that should be followed. Didn't know about that...
Per your suggestion, merged points (eliminated 1000+ points), unified polys (none eliminated).
Still get this artifacting, just by doing simple things like assigning the entire model a new surface name.

Larry-
Bad news from you... just finished your tutes on UV mapping & thought I had a chance tackling this project.

I think its doable but with a lot of careful planning and work. :)
The problem is getting the text to stay uniform across the mesh. I would consider carefully dividing up the mesh into separate UV maps. Think about the Torso, arms, legs etc being separate that way you can carefully control where the text goes and still have a shot at making it look somewhat seamless.

I had to do something once that relied on a similar technique. It was a bit of work but not totally horrible. I had a very short time to take film sequence of an actor handcuffed to a chair and struggling. I had to overlay thousands of bugs crawling over him. I had to create a 3d character that was rigged and hand tracked it over the live actor. Then I inititally tried to use particles to get the bugs to crawl over that mesh. Unfortunately it came close but not quite because the mesh would still slide under the particles enough to be seen and wreck the illusion.

I resorted to creating a UV map of my 3d character and animating LOTS of layers of particles bugs over that. Some were used for bump displacements, others for clip maps and another layer for the color. The hardest part was hiding the seams and keeping the bugs from distorting. In the end it ended up being about 11 layers of 3 types of maps (bump displacement, clip and color) comped together.
This is a little dark but youll get the idea:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/crawlers.avi

jmkupka
07-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Larry-
Oh man you're my hero... that looks like a blast of a project. Philadelphia has exactly squat as far as resources to learn LW.
Everything I know (which isn't much) is from these online tutorials, & I sweat out every project I get from clients, hoping I'll be able to pull it off. Started out with basic package illustrations, getting into more organic shapes (bottles, etc.) & now this one.
Lee Stranahan came to town a few years back & I went to the 3-day. Have your dvd that came with the deal and it's helped a lot.
Thanks for your input... stay tuned for lots more questions.
Many thanks to everyone else, too.

SplineGod
07-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks! :)
It was a pretty interesting project to say the least. It was originally a shot that another studio had done but the client didnt like the result. Initially I had a month to do this but after a lot of back and forth between the two studios the time was rapidly running out and I didnt have a green light until there was about a week and a half left. I was asked one last time if I could do it (not having a clear idea of how it would be done). After about 3 day messing with particles I ended up doing the way I described.

The most difficult part was matching up a 3d model to the actor and tracking it all by hand. Heres a preview animation of that:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/preview.avi

Hopefully the info helps you out. :)

jmkupka
07-16-2007, 07:38 AM
On a smaller level, that was the situation here... the ad agency had someone else on this project and they bailed (he actually did a real good job mapping on the text).

They also want a kind of "pebble on a pond" rippling effect coming from her navel (there will be a medical instrument touching the body there). I'm going to make some concentric gradient circles in photoshop & do a texture displacement for that. I think it should work if the mesh is fine enough.

Surrealist.
07-16-2007, 12:28 PM
For a textured displacement you need to set the render subpatch level pretty high but you won't have to make the mesh itself more dense. You can preview it is you want by setting the display subpatch high as well.

If you use a normal displacement (based on polygon normals) it will follow the contours of the body.

There are a few videos in the LW section of the NT site on displacement and APS rendering as well.

SplineGod
07-16-2007, 12:31 PM
On a smaller level, that was the situation here... the ad agency had someone else on this project and they bailed (he actually did a real good job mapping on the text).

They also want a kind of "pebble on a pond" rippling effect coming from her navel (there will be a medical instrument touching the body there). I'm going to make some concentric gradient circles in photoshop & do a texture displacement for that. I think it should work if the mesh is fine enough.

Id lean more towards using the ripples as a bump map. You can also use the ripple procedural instead of an image map.

jmkupka
07-17-2007, 08:58 AM
I'd use the bump map, but it has to reach up away from the body further than the bump would allow.
Just heard they want the text to wrap around the ripples and , not just travel over the tops of them. This is getting nuts...

SplineGod
07-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Wrap around them in a circle?

jmkupka
07-17-2007, 10:31 AM
yep, instead of continuing their straight path up & over the ripples they have to bow out & follow around the rings.

it's hard enough moving & stretching the copy til it looks good... now I have to find the exact part that passes over the ripples & distort it in photoshop.

impossible, because it's a repeating planar texture in LW.

here's quick render... have to back off a little on the displacement

SplineGod
07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Create a UV map in the direction you want that part to go. Add the texture and then animate the UVs.
You can also overlay geometry on the character with the UV map. Use the text as a clip map so you cut out the parts of the geometry you dont want to see.

Sekhar
07-18-2007, 01:40 AM
You might also want to take a different (and easier) approach: render the OBJ as is, but light it using a spotlight with a projection image of the text. E.g., I rendered the below image that way.

Sekhar
07-18-2007, 01:46 AM
You might also want to take a different (and easier) approach: render the OBJ as is, but light it using a spotlight with a projection image of the text. E.g., I rendered the below image that way.
Sorry, the image got dropped...here it is.

jmkupka
07-18-2007, 07:50 AM
The image projection via spotlight works even nicer than the UV mapping...

Ok, I'm using a negative image for projection (black bkgd, white text). I'm trying a white body with 0 luminosity, a black body with 100 luminosity,
can't get that perfect invisible body with white text like you're showing here.

Sorry for the hand-holding...

I like this effect, though, even before I tangle with the ripple problem- no stretching of the text as it goes around the corner.

Please write back... I see light at the end of the tunnel (hope it's not a train)

SplineGod
07-18-2007, 09:39 AM
I dont think the projection from the light is any easier then just using a planar mapped texture. You still have the issue with smearing. You potentially may have problems if the geometry is displaced. You still have the issue of dealing with the text moving into a circular shape. :)

jmkupka
07-18-2007, 10:34 AM
It's true about the circular shape (the attached shows the image after I spherized a controlled section of it in Photoshop- not perfect, but it's a start).

I was actually surprised how well the image projection did wrap around the body. In addition, it doesn't require repeating (as the planar mapping did), so I can control the position of the spherizing.

Veddy interesting

Sekhar
07-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Not sure what you mean, Larry - all I did was to assign the map to the light and render...unless I'm missing some nuance here. I created this from scratch yesterday (exported "Sydney" character from Poser as OBJ, built the text image in Illustrator, and render that in LW), probably took 20 min in all.

Jmkupka, you need to play with the angle/position of the light to get just the right density of the text. See below for a closer render and the associated project files at http://allurefx.com/misc/reference/TextOnBody.rar (for some reason, I'm not able to upload it here) for reference. Again, the only key thing here is adding the projection map to the light.

The result is not identical that using UV, but it's a different look that might be all you need (or that you might actually prefer). Try it out and see for yourself. This approach also gives you some cool ways to animate, if you want to do that at some point.

BTW, the text is "Lightwave Rocks." :)

jmkupka
07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
By the way, were you two really on this site at 1:30AM & 3:30AM? That's the timestamp on your posts...

If so, you're really hardcore, and you're saving my butt.