PDA

View Full Version : Parameter slaving

starbase1
07-12-2007, 04:39 AM
Hi All,
I have finally got around to tackling the nodal system seriously, and I'd say my first experiments were fairly successful - I find it clearer than the old layered system when I start to get complex.

One thing did strike me as rather inelegant though, and I wondered if there was a way around it.

Is there any way to link parameters in different nodes so that when you change one, they stay in step?

I suppose the obvious examples are the scale and origin parameters - if I want to change the scale of a texture as a whole, it would be all too easy to mess up one of the numbers.

I suppose I could do it the old way and link to a null, but that involves stepping outside of the nodes, and also makes the actual surface not portable unless you pass it around in a scene.

Nick

Dodgy
07-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Link a constant node to the scale attribute? If you want to change them together, link a scalar (one value) to it, if you want different value, use a vector (3 values).

starbase1
07-12-2007, 05:43 AM
OK, I am obviously missing a LOT here!

I'll take a look at the constant node - but the big thing is that I was not aware you could run a link to an individual field... Sounds like what I need though!

Nick

Dodgy
07-12-2007, 05:51 AM
Okay, say you want your texture to be 1mx2mx3m, you'd use a Constant>Vector and plug that into the scale input. If you want to have that ratio, but a different scale, you could multiply it in the vector node's values directly, or you could add a multiply node. Then feed the Vector into the multiply node, and the multiply node into the Scale input, and use the other value in the multiply node to scale the vector uniformly.

starbase1
07-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Okay, say you want your texture to be 1mx2mx3m, you'd use a Constant>Vector and plug that into the scale input. If you want to have that ratio, but a different scale, you could multiply it in the vector node's values directly, or you could add a multiply node. Then feed the Vector into the multiply node, and the multiply node into the Scale input, and use the other value in the multiply node to scale the vector uniformly.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll give it a go later!

Nick

Bytehawk
07-12-2007, 06:45 AM
yeah, that's what I do too
the color constant node is really useful if you want to keep the same color palette in a texture on different procedurals

btw. If you want the same value across different textures, you could always link the values to a null object with the E button