PDA

View Full Version : Objects are MASSIVE on load!!??!!

sean hargreaves
07-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi guys, whats happening here? I loaded up some furniture I downloaded from e-interiors.net, and its G I G A N T I C !!!! I mean, I have to zoom waaaay back to even see it. Sometimes I don't even see it. Sometimes its bigger than the grid...aaarrggghhh! Its crazy, what is going on, please help! :help:

brian.coates
07-11-2007, 06:52 PM
LW tends not to play so well with 3DS imports, (I'm assuming it's a .3ds file we're talking about), at least as far as scaling is concerned. There is a scaling multiplier that's available at the time of import but for me it seems to have little effect.

I've found the best thing to do is to centre the geometry (default F2) then Resize by 10% a few times which will generally get you to get the right size.

If that fails then your last option is to measure a similar object in the real world then scale your import to a box of the same size in LW. If it's a chair or lounge the seat height is a good reference dimension to use, since the comfortable range for average person's bum to move from a standing to a sitting position is pretty limited.

sean hargreaves
07-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks Brian, yes, they are mostly .3ds files. Its unbelievable the size they come in at. Like, I have a room and I loaded a lamp that came in about 1/4 kilometer long.........madness! :screwy:

Jarno
07-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Probably the object was modelled with 1 centimetre being one unit, and the scale wasn't taken into account when converting to a LW object. Try scaling it by 0.01.

---JvdL---

hrgiger
07-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I was speaking to animapper about this the other day on the phone. He told me that models he takes from either Autocad or Max come into Lightwave hellaciously large. He figured out exactly how many times and he just sizes it down by that much. I forget what he said though. Send him a pm and he'll tell you about it.

sean hargreaves
07-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Its like you load up a pen, and it comes in the size of the Empire State building.:D :thumbsdow

Thanks guys for the help. Thanks HR, I look into that!

Extent
07-11-2007, 09:15 PM
I would convert all those objects to LWO and get them scaled correctly myself. Or if you don't want to touch the object you could parent them all to a null that's set to the right corrective scale. Hopefully all your 3ds files are set to the same scale, that makes it easy.

Andyjaggy
07-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Are you loading the objects straight into Layout? Always import into modeler first and resize no normal real world values. It will save you lots of trouble.

sean hargreaves
07-12-2007, 01:47 PM
No, I'm loading them into modeller. The shear size of them can crush worlds! :D
I think I'll just have to do what the other guy said which is import them on their own into modeller and size them to real world scal, and save them as .lwo files. What a pain!

sean hargreaves
07-12-2007, 01:48 PM
In fact Andy, the Utah Kitty of Death may, MAY even have competition with the size of them :D

Andyjaggy
07-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I doubt that. He's been eating extra servings of tuna lately. Give it a month he'll be twice that size.

sean hargreaves
07-12-2007, 05:47 PM
I look at him/her and hear... 'burp'!

sean hargreaves
07-12-2007, 05:49 PM
him.