PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help needed....

jat
07-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Anyone know how to achieve the soft rolling blue shadows in the pic..... thanks

jat
07-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I was thinking maybe a pale blue distant light and a few white spot lights perhaps? The crucial part is the angle of the shadows.....

MooseDog
07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
a great big'ol area light will give you nice soft shadowing. try playing with the scale of an area light to sharpen or soften your shadows. (larger scale is softer). hth.

jat
07-11-2007, 05:29 PM
can you exclude a surface from a light?

SplineGod
07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
You can also use gradients on the surface :)

Cesar Montero
07-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi there, in 10 days I'm releasing a tutorial for 3dcreative magazine. Funny enough, it covers that type of shadows. Shadows are not black really! They are that color since the indirect lighting colors that part with the atmospheric light. If you where to be at mars, it would probably be a red color instead of blue. For the meantime, chapter 4 covers how to attain this effect with radiosity. Furthermore, chapter 5 will cover how to achieve such lighting without it.

Here is the link to the lighting tutorials:

http://archeidos.com/index.php?section=resources.php

jat
07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
thanks Cesar........

jat
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
have you started working at your new place yet?

Cesar Montero
07-12-2007, 01:10 PM
jat:

Well, I give it a quicky today morning.
Here is what I got.
It still can look better/similar.
Are going for the "ilustrator" look?
Are you going for a "realistic" look?
Let me know!

There are several problem I found.
One that I still have to fix, is that the band has two colors.
It should be JUST white.
You can notice that there seems to be a white "division" at the moment.
Applying an image that has JUST the blue as the band will aid.
The band is so simple that it could be also the selection of some polygons.
I'll try that laters, I gotta do work!

Cesar

http://www.archeidos.com/images/jatcup/cup1.jpg

Mr Maze
07-12-2007, 01:21 PM
How exactly does that cup stand up when you put it on a table? :D

jat
07-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Cesar I am trying to reproduce the image exactly as in the picture. I guess the thing I need to learn about lighting is to set it up in such a way that it is in components that I can easily change to get the desired effects and not play around for hours trying to get it to work. Here's what I got

jat
07-12-2007, 01:33 PM
MR. Maze......very carefully............................lol

Cesar Montero
07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Cesar I am trying to reproduce the image exactly as in the picture. I guess the thing I need to learn about lighting is to set it up in such a way that it is in components that I can easily change to get the desired effects and not play around for hours trying to get it to work. Here's what I got

Always start with the ambient lighting first. That includes the softer shadows and no highlights. Then you pass on to the main keylights that produce the hardest shadows. Afterwards, you put other lights to give extra hotspots.

0)Before even starting, I put all textures to 128 mid gray.
1) Backdrop radiosity or area lights to fake ambient
2) Most intense keylight
3) Less intense lights
4) I add surfaces
5) I tweak surfaces and light intensities/color an balance the light&surfaces

It really depends from scene to scene. I guess that after some time you find your own workflow. This is mine after 2 years, and I do things pretty fast. I suggest to start using radiosity before even getting into trying ot fake it. Getting things done as you want is the first task. Then you can figure out how to make them render at better speeds. MOst LWers focus on just render time and therefore after years of using LW they can't produce quality renders because they have never tried. Once you learn how radiosity works you can fake it, and then produce renders at lower render time. Its just the approach the one that changes.

Cesar Montero
07-12-2007, 01:45 PM
If you want to EXACTLY reproduce the image, the most challenging part would be to make the shadows have like several "facets". They are like a gradient made in illustrator. Besides trying to use celshade...

I would first try a spinning light trick. In this case, I would substitute my area lights for spotlights or linear lights, and spin them in a graph so that they create such gradient. This is somehow a tedious process, but that is what to be done to emulate those kind of shadows. Now, taking in account that the area lights existent allready produce the shadows in the angle I want, it would be more of a mechanical process to substitute them with other type of lights so we can then start spinning them. Sounds a bit complicated I guess:)

jat
07-13-2007, 09:36 AM
thanks for the tips, Cesar...........................:)