PDA

View Full Version : Opening *.lwo files from Explorer in windows

Andrewstopheles
07-11-2007, 03:08 PM
When I double click an object file in windows explorer (XP) it opens the object in a new instance of Modeler. Is there a way to cause it to open in the exisiting, already opened instance of modeler, when I double click on it, i.e. without dragging?
Help is always appreciated!

egearbox
06-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Funny, I'm having the same issue. What's worse, I'm on Vista and Microsoft appears to have hidden the File Association dialogs. Normally I would open the File Association stuff and play with the settings, but no dice here.

Wrap
06-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Yea, I love windows xp, whats more, when you buy a new pc you can downgrade to xp pro and save money.

Do you have more than 1 modeler installed? eg 9 and 9.2 in different program folders?

egearbox
06-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Nope, only 9.3.1 installed. Yes, I prefer the interface of XP as well, but nobody seems to be able to get this functionality under XP either! (Or if they have gotten it working, they certainly aren't sharing their technique.)

Wrap
06-23-2008, 03:46 AM
I must admit, I just open the objects through the LW object loader rather than double clicking on them.

egearbox
06-29-2008, 10:14 AM
It would certainly be more *convenient*, if one were searching through five year's worth of models that you saved with various naming conventions using various folder structures, to open in *something* by double clicking them in Windows Explorer.

However, I just heard back from Newtek tech support (all right, it was several days ago - I'm a slacker) and they say no, you can't do this, and strongly implied that they have no plans to add this at any time in the future. Maybe some nice person who remembers more C++ than I do will write a small stub program that we can use to do this - in the meantime, I suppose we'll keep opening them using Modeler's file/open dialog....

Wrap
06-30-2008, 03:49 AM
Yes, I must admit that I find it easiest to create job folders and put all the objects that I will need into them and then open everything through modeler from 1 folder. Saves lots of time in the long run with not having to browse around for ages to find something.

razorrust
06-30-2008, 11:18 AM
There's a program called 3d Photo browser available from mootools.com
It comes in 3 flavors, but the lite version for $20 (pretty sure that's how much it was)will open up just about any 3d file format you can throw at it. (.lwo, .obj, .3ds, .dxf, ect.) and you can browse them as thumbnails.
It also includes a plugin for LW that lets you access the browser from within modeler, and open the files directly into modeler (without spawning another instance) The plugin was a bit goofy, though.
He has an unlimited 30-day trial of whichever version you want to try, I highly recommend it for cataloging a growing 3d library!

Andrewstopheles
06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Anyone know of a free good 3d object browser other than mootools? i don't like installing stuff that expires - its a notebook so hard drive space only goes to stuff I keep.

Snosrap
07-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Anyone know of a free good 3d object browser other than mootools? i don't like installing stuff that expires - its a notebook so hard drive space only goes to stuff I keep.

I've had the free version of 3D Browser from Mootools on my PC at work for over 6 years. Even upgraded several times. You get one nag screen when you open it and that's it. Great app! Preview your object in full 3D and then drag and drop into Modeler. Good stuff. It also is a really nice image viewer. We have ACDSee so we don't use that function here, but I liked 3D Browser so much that I purchased a license for home use and use it organize all my photos etc.. Best $20 investment ever.

Cheers
Snosrap

Andrewstopheles
09-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Ok, I can handle a nag screen, so I'll try mootools, thanks for your input!