PDA

View Full Version : deform a tyre/tire animation

Otterman
07-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Howdy

Im tasked with animating a tractor type vehicle with chunky tread. Now i hate it when u see renders of cars, bikes and such alike that appear to hover on their tyres/tires!

Ive seen some tuts on how to deform/deflate tyres/tires that appear to be under load!

Oh-vital point, i gotta fudge this effect in an animation-ie, rotating wheels. Any1 piont me in the right direction or to where i can get my greasy mits on those tutts!!!!:D

Otterman
07-11-2007, 09:59 AM
heres an image of the tyre/tire in question!

U americans cant spell-teehee!

Lewis
07-11-2007, 10:14 AM
I know what you mean but i didn't find EASY way to do it in LW (yet). There is one tutorial made by proton back then in 8.5-9.0 videos but tire is very basic/low poly so it's not usable for hi-poly/detialed stuff (i tried but when my tire with treads have 10k polys in subDs it's not usable in layout :(. For STILL image it would be easy and I'd use morphs.

SplineGod
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Its actually pretty simple to do.
Heres a simple rig demonstrating how its done:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/tiresquash.zip

Dodgy
07-11-2007, 10:59 AM
If it's not possible with high poly, why not parent the high poly version to a low poly proxy and use metalink???

BTW, I wrote a wheel plugin if you care to try it, it's on my web page. Get it and load this scene. Hit calculate to get a flat tyre running along.

Lewis
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi guys !

Larry - is this your scene working in 9.2 ? I only see very simpel tire and null but no dinamics and calculate does nothing either ? Tire is deformed (eliptical) at start and rotating ?

Dodgy - you forgoto to add plugin in ZIP :)?

But frankly both of those are very very simple models i.e. not usable in real conditions. I'm having 30-80k per tire and many subDs (sometime even treads are subDs) and that's where problem starts. This low poly stuff works fine untill you start REAL work. I can provide one tire for testing and i'd like to see it in action if you guys can do it? thanks.

Here few shots of my 70+ tires collection ;)

Lewis
07-11-2007, 02:48 PM
another one

Dodgy
07-11-2007, 03:45 PM
If I shoot the sub-ds up to 80,000 it still works okay, You only use the low res version to calculate on, Metalink applies the animation to the high res tyre. Send one over and I'll see how painful it is on yours ;)

If the scene doesn't seem to do anything, make sure you turn the low res tyre to wireframe or above before hitting calculate, as dynamics aren't calculated on bounding box or invisible objects.

Dodgy - you forgoto to add plugin in ZIP ?
How else do I get you to check out my lovely web page full of fun plugins? :)

Lewis
07-12-2007, 02:22 AM
"works okay" means sluggish or :) :)? Also polycount needs to be multiplied by 4 wheels and also work when steering wheels ;). What e-mail to use for sending my tire :)?

Dodgy
07-12-2007, 03:10 AM
Oh it's blisteringly fast :)

Otterman
07-12-2007, 03:23 AM
hey lewis-uve hijacked my thread! scumbag :twak:

I cant down load zip files at work-the powers at b (IT geeks) have absolute paranoia power over me! Will have to wait until im at home.

Dodgy-im guessin u magic plugin is pc only (curse my mac ways)

SplineGod-im only hoping ur mac friendly my fingers are crossed!

Dodgy
07-12-2007, 03:45 AM
It's an lscript, so it'll be pc OR MAC :)

Otterman
07-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Yeah-i beat my IT guys into submission-gotten hold of dem zips!

SplineGod i didnt have much luck with your example either, something clever going on there but cant get my tiny mind around it-thanks all the same. Dodgy ur example top dollar-this is gonna do the trick for me:thumbsup: now i just gotta setup four of em, accounting for 4 wheel-steering, core blimey!!

TA GUYS!!!

Lewis
07-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Sorry for hijack :p

SplineGod
07-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Sorry guys,
Download the file and run it again. The only difference is that I had to copy the textures from the displacement map interface to the textured displacement interface. Dont know what Newtek changed but it works now. :)

pooby
07-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Because you are using world co-ordinates for your textures, if you rotate the heading of the tyre, it messes up the displacements.

You can do a similar-ish concept using the nodal displacements and a distance to null gradient on the input of a morph map and it should work even if you rotate the tyre around on the heading.

SplineGod
07-12-2007, 10:57 PM
The displacement texture has a reference null. All you have to do is have it follow the tire.

Lewis
07-13-2007, 02:36 AM
Yep Larry's null thing works fine and it's very "simple" when you get and idea what is happening actually, thanks :). I just wonder why is not instant feedback while changing VALUE settings? I need to move one frame back or forward to see changes ?

P.S. Larry your tire is Egg shaped, it would be pretty funny to drive car with that tire :p.

SplineGod
07-13-2007, 09:12 AM
It made it easier to see the tire rotating :)

Otterman
07-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Its spelt tyre guys! gee-us brits invented the language after all.

I gonna checkout u solution splineSod-teehee :thumbsup:

Lewis
07-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Just to drop a note that Dodgy's LScript works just fine too :). Thanks for this TYRE (or is it TIRE :p?) plugin :).