PDA

View Full Version : No available ScreamerNet CPUs detected?

Johnny
06-25-2003, 05:52 AM
I'm inching my way to scremernet heaven, but I'm confused by a warning I get after picking the content directory where all my screamer test files are...which says: "No available ScreamerNet CPUs were detected"

I have a dual 450 and an ibook, with a live, active ethernet connection, LWSN running on the iBook, and both sharing options selected per the WOA tutorial.

I get the feeling that in a way, I need to 'tell' Lightwave which cpus are available for screamernetting, but aside from the LWSN cmdline mods I made, I don't know where else I'd do that..

does LWSN or LW 'look' for processors? does it already know they're there? Is LW just being obtuse?

thanks for any pointers!

Johnny

jdavidbakr
06-25-2003, 07:59 AM
LW and LWSN communicate through files, and they have to be looking in the same directory for those files. LW will write files called "job1" "job2" etc, and LWSN will write files called "ack1" "ack2" etc. These files must be in the same folder, which is what you tell LW through the Command Directory command, and what you tell LWSN when you create the cmdLine files. (You probably should write the full path to the job and ack files instead of just "job1 ack1"). If you run a search on your HD for job1 and again for ack1 you will probably find that they are in two different directories; either change LW to have the directory with the ack files as the command directory, or change LWSN to look where the job files are going.

Johnny
06-25-2003, 05:46 PM
OK...now I have ammended the LWSN cmdLine so that it's pointing to the same spot as the LightWave cmdLine..

I still get the 'no available cpus' warning.

still confusing why it would say that there are no cpus! if it can find the job, I could understand it saying that, but why would it say that it can't locate any cpus?

here's what I have for LW cmdLine:

-c"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:Configs" -p"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:Configs"

and this is what I have for LWSN cmdLine:

-2 -c"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:Configs" -d"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest"job1 ack1

I'm puzzled...is this the kind of thing people are getting?

J

mlinde
06-25-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
-2 -c"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:Configs" -d"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest"job1 ack1

I assume you update the Job and Ack numbers for each node, so you have job1, job2, etc...

Johnny
06-25-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
I assume you update the Job and Ack numbers for each node, so you have job1, job2, etc...

well, I will do that, but I'm now at the stage of the WOA tutorial where you're just testing your first node to see that it works before you duplicate the 2nd, 3rd, etc nodes. So, I'm just testing to make sure it works on the first node before I duplicate that folder for nodes 2 and 3.

I am puzzled why I am told that there are no cpus available..

also..that second line in LWSN cmdLine, I have tried it both with and without a space before 'job1 ack1', in case anyone wonders.

J

mlinde
06-25-2003, 06:09 PM
-2 -c"Trajan:Users:mlinde:Library:Preferences:" -d"Trajan:Users:mlinde:Animations:Voyager:" "Trajan:Users:mlinde:Screamernet:job1" "Trajan:Users:mlinde:Screamernet:ack1"

This initializes correctly, so you need to make sure whatever command directory you've chosen for the controller, you fully path to for the LWSN cmdline.

so the syntax works with
-2 (the render mode)
SPACE
-c"configdirectorypath:"
SPACE
-d"contentdirectorypath:"
SPACE
"commanddirectorypath:jobX"
SPACE
"commanddirectorypath:ackX"

where X is the number of the node

Johnny
06-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
-2 -c"Trajan:Users:mlinde:Library:Preferences:" -d"Trajan:Users:mlinde:Animations:Voyager:" "Trajan:Users:mlinde:Screamernet:job1" "Trajan:Users:mlinde:Screamernet:ack1"

This initializes correctly, so you need to make sure whatever command directory you've chosen for the controller, you fully path to for the LWSN cmdline.

so the syntax works with
-2 (the render mode)
SPACE
-c"configdirectorypath:"
SPACE
-d"contentdirectorypath:"
SPACE
"commanddirectorypath:jobX"
SPACE
"commanddirectorypath:ackX"

where X is the number of the node

wow...I think I understand that, but it looks different from what WOA shows in their tute...

Not sure if I should stick with WOA method, or try to mimick what you've written with my code...

I'm cornfused!

J

Julian Johnson
06-26-2003, 01:45 AM
The WOA tute does not explicitly state where LWSN reads and writes the job and ack files. It relies on LWSN's 'default' behaviour to look in the Content Directory. This method forces you to set your Command Directory to be the same as your Content Directory otherwise it won't work. (David's tutorial makes it clear that you should do this).

mlinde's method explicitly states where the job file should be read from and where the ack file should be written to. This is an additional piece of syntax over and above the WOA one but does let you select any directory (specified in the LWSN cmdline) as your Command Directory. You don't have to set the Command Directory to be the same as your Content Directory in these circumstances.

I think this is only a slight deviation from the WOA approach but it does become important not to mix and match the two. If you follow the WOA syntax then you don't specify directories for the job and ack files other than placing the jobx and ackx strings after the entry for the content directory. You must set your Command Directory to be your Content Directory.

If you follow mlinde's syntax then make sure you set the Command Directory to whatever you're using in your string. In mlinde's case that directory would be:

Trajan:Users:mlinde:Screamernet:

...and definitely not his Content Directory.

Julian

jdavidbakr
06-26-2003, 07:43 AM

If you copied and pasted your command line you need a space before job1 also, but I also recommend putting the full path to the job and ack files. If LW is saying "No ScreamerNet CPUs detected," what are the LWSN nodes saying? Either they should be saying "Cannot open job file job1" (or 2 or whatever) or "Lightwave command: init". This will tell you whether LWSN is seeing LW. If they are saying they cannot open the job file, then they are looking in the wrong place; you should change the job1 to the full path, like mlinde suggested. If they are saying "Lightwave command: init", then you need to check to make sure that LWSN is writing the ack file next to the job file (again, probably change the full path of the ack file). If LWSN is saying "Cannot open job file ack1", that is because you don't have a space before job1.

Just so you are aware, as it may help, the job files are what LW writes and LWSN reads for commands. The ack files are what LWSN writes and LW reads for feedback (ack = acknowledgement).

Zarathustra
06-26-2003, 09:17 AM
YOU MUST GIVE THE SPECIFIC PATH FOR THE JOB AND ACK FILES!

Sorry, I feel like I say this a lot.

Okay, try this:

-2 -c"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:Configs" -d"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest" "OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:job1" "OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:ack1"

Personally, I put my configs in a folder named "Configs" in my "Programs" folder so it's easy to find and you essentially have one, core folder that has all your essentials. Placing it in a temp folder within your "Objects" folder is a bit unusual.

btw - I still think Dirk's tut is best: http://homepage.mac.com/nonplanar/

Johnny
06-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Okay, try this:

-2 -c"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:Configs" -d"OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest" "OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:job1" "OSX:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Content:Objects:ScreamerNetTest:ack1"[/url]

OK..I have something working here..I told it to look for 2 cpus (Dual G4) but it came up with one, and it's rendering right now!

whee! once step closer to blasting away at LW animations with my 3 mighty chips!

Johnny

Johnny
06-26-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
..I told it to look for 2 cpus (Dual G4) but it came up with one..

my bad...I hadn't yet made the additional node folders...

J

Johnny
06-30-2003, 06:30 PM
Does/Can Screamernet throw computer resources at just one still image to render it faster, or is it only for having each node render its share of stills which comprise a sequence?

also, I can't seem to get it to just render frame 1..is this because LWSN will only render a series and not just one frame in a scene?

I was hoping to use all my CPUs to speed renders on stills as well as image sequences

thanks for any insight

J

jdavidbakr
07-01-2003, 10:51 AM
also, I can't seem to get it to just render frame 1..is this because LWSN will only render a series and not just one frame in a scene?
What are your first/last frame settings in the scene?

Does/Can Screamernet throw computer resources at just one still image to render it faster, or is it only for having each node render its share of stills which comprise a sequence?
At this point, no, LWSN can only render a whole frame. I think there are some lscripts or plugins that might break a scene up into different scenes with limited regions, but you will still have to seam them back to gether in something like photoshop.

Johnny
07-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by jdavidbakr
What are your first/last frame settings in the scene?

At this point, no, LWSN can only render a whole frame. I think there are some lscripts or plugins that might break a scene up into different scenes with limited regions, but you will still have to seam them back to gether in something like photoshop.

OK...that's what I thought (point #2). I'm quaking with glee that I can distribute sequences to all 3 CPUs I own..major help and worth the slight trouble to get SN going!

As for the first point, I guess it's now moot, but I played with first/last frame settings of 1 and 1, and made my timeline in layout go to 1, figuring this would 'force' LWSN to see but one frame to render.

no big whoop, tho.

Thank you again to all who helped me to understand how to do ScreamerNet..the tutorials were just right for someone like me alien to typing command lines!

Johnny