PDA

View Full Version : Building DVEs

creach
07-10-2007, 03:43 PM
In the last few days, I have had my nose stuck into any and all documentation I can find about making DVEs.

One of the easier Aura-DVE tutorials is here: http://www.newtekpro.com/AuraInsider/aura/articles/alphawipes/alpha_tut.html. This tutorial also has the added bonus of working-first-time-thru for a DVE n00b like me. Thanks, Steve! :)

In particular, we receive wipe masks on tape from CBS that we want to use to match their network 'looks.' Altho I have not seen any posts (surprisingly) about doing what I'm trying to do, Steve's tut walked me thru a tape-to-DVE conversion fairly easily. I have run into a snag with another wipe, tho. The problem I am having is that the DVE shows it's on the VID1 source (in TED), but as soon as it's a few frames in, it changes to the outgoing VID2, then partway thru, it swaps back to VID1, only to cut directly to VID2 when the DVE exits.

And I realize this is kinda hard to explain, so I have attached the DVE. Ah, er, um, It doesn't want to attach. Crap.

Well, my question about this is: why does it flip-flip back and forth? It's supposed to be a glorified A-to-B wipe.

Okay. Next question. In the DVE Creation kit, on the second page of 'DVE Testing Scheme' under Phase Three: TED the sentence: 'If Ted crashes you will need to delete the lsd that gets saved.' What the dickens is the "lsd?" I know what it used t'be. ;)

Thanks, gang
Dan

creach
07-10-2007, 04:34 PM
...I had an idea. I added an extra frame to the 'in' of the transition, and that solved all the issues.

But I still wanna know what the lsd thing is about, k?

Dan

Rich Deustachio
07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
This is why we all need an easy to use DVE creation tool that uses Lightwave with an interface made for video guys, not Lightwave experts and programmers.

Don said he was working on something like that, I hope it is still being worked on.

SBowie
07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
The Aura DVE compiler has several different application modes - to be honest, I'd have to break out the readme and experiment a bit before I could answer correctly, sorry Dan ... just can't get to it right now, but basically, modes can vary seemingly unpredicatbly depending on how much opacity is onscreen at various points in the source anim..

Tarheel Cougar
07-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Aura's DVE builder has been giving us headaches for a long time, and we have yet to make a successful DVE from it following all the different readmes out there. I am not an animator and can barely do anything in Lightwave other than make cubes and spheres, but I wish there were a few standard Lightwave scene files where all we had to do was replace an object with a logo and render it to create have an "instant" custom logo wipe. Even if they were basic patterns, it would be very cool. Does this already exist?

SBowie
07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
As I recall, there is a sample scene in the LW DVE compiler, but you likely know that and it's still not a simple process. Aura DVE creation is easier, but of course you have to 'fake' 3D.

Here's an example of a DVE I made long ago using Mirage's particle generator - enjoy: Autumn Leaves DVE Download (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/download/steve/leaves_dve.zip)

creach
07-11-2007, 01:26 PM
... modes can vary seemingly unpredictably depending on how much opacity is onscreen at various points in the source anim..

Um, yes. Nicely said, Steve. Very *freakin'* unpredictably, in fact. :thumbsup:

But. I solved it. I had the wipe start at the very first frame that both video sources shared. That was my mistake. It must begin at the LAST frame that the outgoing video is full frame...and *that* works. Flawlessly, I might add.

But I still *really* want to know what the lsd thing is about...

Dan

Tarheel Cougar
07-11-2007, 01:30 PM
I've seen the leaf wipe before and its very good! I don't use Aura but have tried to import series of stills from other programs into Aura and use the wipe builder without success. You're right about the LW builder. Too bad some plugin can't just take a jpg or vector image format and use the LW engine to slap a logo on a bar or something. Even if Aura could handle this in 2D so that an idiot could make their own DVE's it would be great and a big selling feature for live production. I'd even be happy to see the little paper clip pop up and say "It looks like you are making a DVE. Would you like some help?"

SBowie
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I've seen the leaf wipe before and its very good!I always intended to do a "Four Seasons" set of 'environmental' wipes like that ... never find the time. :p

Even if Aura could handle this in 2D so that an idiot could make their own DVE's it would be great and a big selling feature for live production. I'd even be happy to see the little paper clip pop up and say "It looks like you are making a DVE. Would you like some help?"I hate that paper clip :D

Now that Dan has it all figured out, and is fresher on it than me, I'm sure he'll be glad to walk you through it (right Dan? :) ).

BTW, Dan -- just in case you weren't aware: if you are doing this in Mirage rather than Aura, double the frame count and work with progressive frames at 60fps. (Otherwise your DVE will run in half-time.)

creach
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Now that Dan has it all figured out, and is fresher on it than me, I'm sure he'll be glad to walk you through it (right Dan? :) ).

Of course. It should go without saying. And I certainly wish you would have. ;) (Just kidding, gang.)

BTW, Dan -- just in case you weren't aware: if you are doing this in Mirage rather than Aura, double the frame count and work with progressive frames at 60fps. (Otherwise your DVE will run in half-time.)

Yup. That's one of the myriad things I bumped my button nose on. Thanks.

I have to say that with my new-found powers of DVE creation, I'm gonna have a blast finding old wipes on tape and ingesting/converting them. But, I also want to do stuff similar to your leaf wipe one day.

But really, what IS with the lsd thing in the DVE Creation kit? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dan

billmi
07-11-2007, 02:29 PM
I suspect it was some sort of temp file or crash report. I believe those instructions were written to people who were working with the pre-release version of VT[2] and developing the DVEs that would ship with it.

ncsu1
07-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Does this already exist?

basically like 3D Arsenal?

Eric Pratt
07-11-2007, 11:53 PM
If I recall correctly Aura used two different layers to key off of, one being the graphic used to do the wipe and the other layer just being the wipe between program and preview. I seem to remember the Aura DVE compilers to be simple straightforward, and reliable.
The Lightwave one by contrast was another story.
But it doesn't bear getting too involved with the old Compiler with a new FX architecture in the pipeline.

Ivan
07-12-2007, 07:09 AM
I wish there were a few standard Lightwave scene files where all we had to do was replace an object with a logo and render it to create have an "instant" custom logo wipe.

If you are really looking for something like this check out Bob's LWConnect. BobFX (http://bobfx.com/) It comes with over 100 scene files that do just what you said. Cool thing is it can all be done from the timeline with NO LW experience which is even less than you need for 3D Arsenal and 3DA is easy.

Ivan

SBowie
07-12-2007, 07:11 AM
I seem to remember the Aura DVE compilers to be simple straightforward, and reliable.Certainly moreso than the LW editiion. That said while it can be simple, it is also more versatile than it seems, and consequently a little confusing at times.

(Adding to the confusion, I note that there are two different variants of the VTWipeBuilder .pdf file. One is 4 pages long, the other 8.) Here's a snippet from the longer one (I've italicized the bit that can be tricky):

The Transition Layer
The other layer is the transition layer. Only the alpha channel is important
on this layer. Of course the layer can have color, but it is ignored as far as
the VT Wipe Builder is concerned.

How the transition operates depends on how you set it up. The transition
layer animation should be set up in one of the following ways:

• Fully opaque to fully transparent
• Fully transparent to fully opaque
• Fully opaque to fully opaque

If the first frame is fully opaque and the last frame is fully transparent, the
DVE will be a “pull” (or wipe off) transition. That is, the outgoing video can
be pulled/wiped off to reveal the incoming video.

If the first frame is fully transparent and the last frame is fully opaque, the
DVE will be a “push” (or wipe on) transition. That is, the incoming video
can be pushed/wiped on, over the outgoing video.

If both the first and last frames are fully opaque, an A-to-B transition can
be performed. The “most overlaid” frame is found based on the overlay
layer—a “take” occurs at this frame. The outgoing video is controlled prior
to the “take” frame and the incoming video is controlled after it.
As you can see, the opaque pixels can show either the incoming or
outgoing video depending on which of the above setups you use. Also note
that alpha channel values in between will be a mix of the two videos.

creach
07-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Steve, would you mind pointing me towards the 8 page PDF?

Thanks!
Dan

Oh! And billmi: Thanks for the Beta/developmental line of thought...I hadn't considered it at all. I began to worry about trying to fix DVEs-in-progress that broke something. Now I can sleep at night. ;)

SBowie
07-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Send me a note offlist, Dan, and I'll email it to you. I'm not really sure where I got it, to be honest.

oufan_DJ
01-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I like some of the transitions in Apple's Motion, is there any way to use them as a transition in VT?

Randall Chesbro
01-03-2008, 01:07 PM
you would have to save them with the alpha chnl and use Aura to convert them. just like if you used Digital juice wipes.

tmon
01-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Creach,

Another option is to use Tasa's LWConnect, but I think that only works on 4.6 until he updates it....

http://www.bobfx.com/BobFxPlugins.htmlhttp://www.bobfx.com/BobFxPlugins.html

Bobt
01-06-2008, 09:19 PM
No its done for VT5.
In fact all the plugins are done including the new and improved SoftFX.

Bob